Moving to Shetland

Hi All,

Me and my wife are thinking of having a year out in Shetland, and if all goes well we may stay and carry on with are new married life.

We currently live in Stockton Heath in Cheshire. and have been fascinated with the isle since we was up there on are honeymoon in 2018. 

Just after some advice on living on islands, getting a rented house or apartment and both getting jobs?

Thank you for reading this and look forward to hearing your comments.

Karl

Hello

Glad to hear you are thinking to move to Shetland. Without knowing more about you it is hard to give detailed advice but here is some points to consider;

1) Weather, I don't know what time of year you were here for your honeymoon and how the weather was but you need to be aware that the winters are long, dark, windy and wet. This is even more of an issue if you move to an Isle with a ferry journey.

2) Jobs, there is a labour shortage in Shetland so you should both be able to find some form of employment. However without knowing what you are qualified for I can't say if you would find a job in your normal field or not. 

3) Housing, this can be relatively easy to find or extremely difficult depending on where you want to stay and what your price range is, in and around Lerwick being the hardest to find and most expensive. Conversely it can be easy to get social housing in some of the outlying areas and islands but then you will likely have to commute considerable distance to work, depending what jobs you get. Another point being unless you live in Lerwick a car is basically a necessity as the public transport network is limited at best. 

Hope this helps!

Yeah a taxi from the Isles to Lerwick is not cheap unless there is a lot of you and the last ferry home is generally to early for a night out.. plenty of beer in the Oot ower lounge and Whalsay Boating Club though.

That being said some of the Lerwick hotels do discounted rates for Islanders.

As has been said there are pros and cons to the outer isles but personally I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. Whalsay has great on island facilities and community spirit is second to none IMHO. The main con is obviously our inadequate ferry service - which will hopefully be improved in the relatively near future.

Edited by whalsa

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses, you have given us a lot to think about. As regards to jobs, I have a experience in outdoor work ie park warden etc, plus i have also worked in warehouses doing forklift work, plus administration. My Wife has a always worked in retail particularly in arts and crafts and anything bodyshop related. I think looking around on the websites the mainland would be where we would like to go.

Just seems hard to find rented houses or flats online? Is it a case of keeping a eye on the Shetland News Website for property coming up?

Thanks once again

Karl

Be careful...

The kind of work that you might get will mean, if you rent privately, you will both be working just to pay the rent !

Yes you also have to remember the cost of living can be 20-60% higher than the national average according to a recent Council report.