net washing plant at Toft

Claadehol

The lasses in Leasks garage in Lerwick can smell the net washing plant at Gremista, does that mean the plant is not properly managed? If so is there any reason to believe it would be better managed at Toft.

Are sure it's not the gut factory, Shetland Catch or the various other fish processors in the area? I worked at the Marina Business Park for a couple of years and I was never aware of any smell around there.

i was wondering where exactly this net washing plant is, i thought the only one was in scalloway

Often we hear complaints that everything is "centred" around  Lerwick yet when we see something trying be set up in the country there is opposition.

For years Lerwick had to endure the obnoxious smell from the gut factory in Bressay, but where would all the offal have gone if it had not been there ,and also it provided some well paid jobs to the folk in Bressay and many others as well.  Modern technology has almost  eliminated this problem.

Toft will have a new pier soon and is the ideal place for this project assuming that the nets will come by sea .

It is very unfortunate for the folk in this area but as i say folk complain about nothing coming to the outlying country areas and many moving to the town or possibly leaving Shetland altogether as they cannot afford to commute everyday,so surely this must be a god send for say someone living in Yell or in the Mossbank area. 

The usual story not in my "back yard " but is Shetland not running out of back yards

Edited by Urabug

Urabug, there's an industrial site just a short distance away with plenty of pier space. 

The tabloids love stories about China moving villagers to make way for industry. Plenty of criticism there and little difference here. Just complete disregard for the people affected. 

The local householders here also sacrificed for the greater good, but the common sense approach is take it to the industrial area.

Jobs still there and everyone happy.

There's also a strong possibility that the company will close the Lerwick plant and the workers when this is built, and  all 5 required will travel to Toft..

Everybody in the north end unhappy suddenly.

By the way there are plenty of alternatives that wont destroy people's lives, I don't suppose you'll be affected whatever happens. 

Urabug, there's an industrial site just a short distance away with plenty of pier space. 

The tabloids love stories about China moving villagers to make way for industry. Plenty of criticism there and little difference here. Just complete disregard for the people affected. 

The local householders here also sacrificed for the greater good, but the common sense approach is take it to the industrial area.

Jobs still there and everyone happy.

There's also a strong possibility that the company will close the Lerwick plant and the workers when this is built, and  all 5 required will travel to Toft..

Everybody in the north end unhappy suddenly.

By the way there are plenty of alternatives that wont destroy people's lives, I don't suppose you'll be affected whatever happen

where is this lerwick plant everybody speaks about

^ The company whose doing it have a base at Arlanda next to Catch, so I'd presume someplace around there, but don't know for sure.

if you are talking about the swan net gundry shed then it has nothing to do with salmon nets, they make and repair pelagic nets aswell as stock rope and various other trawler hardware, i wonder if this is what has been referred to numerous times as the "net washing facility"  :roll:  :roll:

^ The company whose doing it have a base at Arlanda next to Catch, so I'd presume someplace around there, but don't know for sure.

if you are talking about the swan net gundry shed then it has nothing to do with salmon nets, they make and repair pelagic nets aswell as stock rope and various other trawler hardware, i wonder if this is what has been referred to numerous times as the "net washing facility"  :roll:  :roll:

Sort of. I was aware Swan Net-Gundry's business was primarily servicing the pelagic boats needs, but the salmon net work is being done by a sister company, SNG Aqua, who describe themselves as having 'current facilities', whatever that may mean. They seem to have started off by acquiring KG Nets, whose address comes up as Unit 3 JWG Buildings, Gremista.

https://www.fishfarmingexpert.com/article/irish-net-maker-outlines-scottish-salmon-farming-expansion-plans/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Possibly being cynical here, but who owns the land that this proposed development is to be built on?

It wouldn't happen to be a certain North Councillor that's in favour of it, would it?

Very cynical. That would be a blatant conflict of interest as well as a breach of the Councillors Code of Conduct. If you want to know why said Councillor is in favour of it why don't you ask him? I am sure he will tell you. Surely preferable to making implications of illegality and corruption online. 

Possibly being cynical here, but who owns the land that this proposed development is to be built on?

It wouldn't happen to be a certain North Councillor that's in favour of it, would it?

No, however I heard they are friends. But Shetland is a terrible place for rumours...

Whalsa my man, he has already been asked this question.

He says he is in favour because the salmon nets are so huge now they have to be sent south to be cleaned.

NOT TRUE! The company in Scalloway have the biggest net washer in the country and can easily wash all the nets.

He says he is in favour because there will be 15 to 20 jobs created.  NOT TRUE!  The company in Scalloway only employ 8 on the biggest net washer in the country. There may be 15 to 20 jobs in 5 YEARS TIME, if and when there is further development. The company themselves give the figure as 5 jobs to begin with and possibly 20 in 5 YEARS TIME.

He said it can't go to Sellaness because they are testing the water all the time so not a cat in hell's chance of it being accepted there. Planners tell me that should not have been said. The word now is it can't go there because of tight control of boats in Sullom Voe. Why then was the gut factory even proposed some years ago when there was even more marine traffic? Why are they going to open up Sullom Voe area for more salmon farms? Are there no boats involved here? Doesn't add up really does it?

Our councillor has been pushing for Toft pier improvements for many a long year and nobody is proesting about his success here. It's just a pity the council seemed unable to find money over the years for pier maintenance or we might not be where we are now. 

However, our councillor used this net washing plant proposal to try and ensure that money for the pier would be forthcoming. He has been behind this all the way. He told Harry Haylock, (the worst affected householder), he was on his own when Harry got in touch. Harry is likely to lose maybe 50% of the value of his house, maybe more.

Our local councillor has achieved his aim, he has got what he wanted, and the fact is he doesn't give a damn who is sacrificed in the process. 

What a lovely evening here at TOFT, Lovely views over Yell Sound, No noise No Pollution, only fresh air, no smell, PLEASE HELP the Toft community and support us in the rejection of the proposed industrial net washing facility at TOFT.