Peel windfarm

Redrobbie99

Having just read the Times i was concerned at  just how close to the burn of Dale the windmills are going to to built plus the large roads needed . I had assumed they would be erected on top of the hills but not in this case . The Dale burn is a very important spawning area for sea trout and some grilse .Now these developments as they are so close to the burn will see massive run off of highly acidic peat water and solids and perhaps even concrete water residue . This would kill the burn right down to the sea as far as trout and salmon goes and clog up the gravel beds where the fish spawn . The burn will be an unspeakable mess after heavy rain no one can deny that Sandwater and the burn of Strom and Kergord burn will be the same . I am surprised the local angling club did not raise this issue but i suppose they realise its a waste of time as they all get rubber stamped anyway . These windmills would be much better situated further south above quarf and cunninsburgh . where they would be well away from watercourses and be in a much higher elevation to benefit from any wind direction .Some of the turbines at Dale are in effect sheltered from east and west winds as they will be in the ''brow'' of the hill . Another thing the peat particularly at the top end of the burn in very very deep i think they will have to remove massive amounts of peat to hit bottom which is another argument for tops of hills where the vegetation is usually sparse .

Edited by Redrobbie99

Their environmental statement says:

"Drainage would be designed to minimise sedimentation into watercourses including specification of silt traps/fences, attenuation ponds, check dams etc., would not concentrate flows or cause over or under saturation of peat habitats and require minimal maintenance;"

Some of the windmills are pretty close to the Black Gaet shooting range. I don't know if they are in danger of being peppered with lead shot.