Shattered Double Glazing Unit

IGU

Has anyone experienced the following Phenomena i.e. where the glass of the double glazing unit completely shatters without any apparent reason?

If you have, can I ask what (if anything) was done about it e.g. was it replaced under some special kind of warranty or guarantee?

a-nickel-sulphide-breakage-in-structural

The inner safety glass of our double glazing unit has shattered but we are informed that as the glazing unit is approximately 3yrs old it no longer supports any warranty.

Furthermore we are also informed that such warranty would not cover this issue & although it could normally (with agreement) be a 5yr warranty period, this would only cover the units e.g. seal failure.

Further communications gives rise to the possibility of something called Nickel Sulphide Inclusions and this is well known straight from manufacturing level right down to the trade but (to the best of my knowledge) is seldom presented by name to the public consumer? 

These Nickel Sulphide Inclusions (NiS) are said to be something of a rare occurrence but there appears to have been many large problems around the world concerning it.

My thoughts on it, if it is now indeed such a rare occurrence why has the public consumer been left with the problem, the stress and the responsible for the replacement billing finance when it happens?

Presumably the unit has to meet certain standards under trading laws.  Fit for Purpose etc..  I would have thought that something over 3 years for a double glazed unit would not be exceptional.  You might have a case against the manufacturers or suppliers. 

I'm not an expert but, I would suggest that you contact SIC Trading Standards.

Nobody looking at this forum appears to have experienced this shattering glazing unit problem or if they have, so far are not willing to write in to tell us of such an experience?

Anyway the following contacts have been suggested by Citizens Advice:

Consumer Service Helpline 0808 164 6000

Trading Standards (as Colin suggested)

Trade Association

Ombudsman

We dee experience wirkin we glazing, dool ken weel whit outside Shetland weathers lick, although yun did happen during a warm spell we had?

Inside heating, weel dirs a radiator located below yun window but its been dare fur donkeys years and hasn't been in use fur the past couple of months.

Dus do think ony of dat wid constitute 'extreme changes of temperature' this never being an issue we da auld windows dat cam oot?

I'm heard o it happen afore but never sussed oot why. Wan theory is dat if one part of da pane is a at a different temperature fae da idder den da difference in expansion wid cause a 'thermal stress', and wee da nature o safety glass it wid cause da whole pane to shatter. It might be caused by somethin lik faily sudden direct sunlight landin on wan section while da idder section is still in shade (in da shadow o a wall fur example). I think it wid need to be a fairly sudden change though as dir wid need to be a difference in temperature within da pane.

Mibee dat combined we an impurity dat wid cause an inherent weak spot?

Whitiver da reason, it shouldna happen in a modern window!

Edited by Muckle Oxters

Weel Muckle Oxters, yun certainly wid describe whit cud hiff happened but wha comes tae be responsible?

(1) Glass manufacturer?

(2) Glazing unit distributor?

(3) Contractor/builder/supplier who supplied glazing unit and fitted it into window frame?

(4) Contractor/builder that fitted the completed window unit (frame & glazing together) to house?

(5) Consumer/customer?

(6) Ony buddy else dat I've missed oot?

Ony thouts or opinions on da subject oot yunder? 

Edited by IGU

It wid be a job tae get onybody to pit dir hands up!

Could be da glass manufacturer for an impurity, da frame manufacturer for no allowing for expansion, or da contractor for somehow knocking it to waeken it or no fittin it right. Most liklee dey'd blame each idder and you'd go aroond in a circle!

Can you claim it on your hoose insurance?

So far I cudna agree mare we 'you'd go aroond in a circle'.

Hoose insurance:

Weel in fact technically dat disna cover such an event!

However if you consider No 5 from the previous listing is indeed responsible, provide some supporting variation towards what happened - who knows?

Has anyone experienced the following Phenomena i.e. where the glass of the double glazing unit completely shatters without any apparent reason?

If you have, can I ask what (if anything) was done about it e.g. was it replaced under some special kind of warranty or guarantee?

a-nickel-sulphide-breakage-in-structural

The inner safety glass of our double glazing unit has shattered but we are informed that as the glazing unit is approximately 3yrs old it no longer supports any warranty.

Furthermore we are also informed that such warranty would not cover this issue & although it could normally (with agreement) be a 5yr warranty period, this would only cover the units e.g. seal failure.

Further communications gives rise to the possibility of something called Nickel Sulphide Inclusions and this is well known straight from manufacturing level right down to the trade but (to the best of my knowledge) is seldom presented by name to the public consumer? 

These Nickel Sulphide Inclusions (NiS) are said to be something of a rare occurrence but there appears to have been many large problems around the world concerning it.

My thoughts on it, if it is now indeed such a rare occurrence why has the public consumer been left with the problem, the stress and the responsible for the replacement billing finance when it happens?

Do you sing soprano by any chance ! :rofl:

Thanks fur yun Urabug and Rasmie.

'Soprano':

Da ony Soprano dat window ever possibly heard wis da voice of Tony Soprano but I tink dats a desperate insurance pitch :oops: 

'wind blown object':

Noo dat soonds entirely possible or at least no impossible i.e. wind blown object outside shatters inner pane of double glazed window :ponders: 

No matter how its all looked at some variation from what did actually happen is required to satisfy any insurance claim attempt   :-(