Toft petition

Claadehol

The planned net wash plant at Toft has been torn apart by the council's own development team, (see Shetnews article).

The plan breaks nearly every rule in the book.

However I'm told by the planning company involved that these problems may be overcome during the forthcoming couple of weeks. The final decision has yet to be made.

Looking at the report, available on the council planning website, (search 2019/054/ppf ), I fail to see how the major issues itemised here can be sidelined. The householders will still be there, the noise and smell from the plant, the traffic issues, etc.

However, the rich and powerful often seem to get their way eventually, this needs to be knocked on the head as soon as possible.

There is a petition in most of the small local shops, if you care about the environment, the householders with so much to lose, and the peace and quiet while waiting for the north isles ferry, please help us out here and sign this plan to history.

Agreed and signed, Planning should never let industrial sites like this be built so close to peoples homes that's what they're meant to be there for.

Not one person would like this or put up with this on their doorstep, your case should be bulletproof imho, if they do end up getting permission then something's wrong with the system.

Only a week or two now till the planning officer appointed has to make a decision on the planned Toft net wash plant. If you have a view on this that can help us fight this plan please email the council planning dept.

The tourist industry is in the news at present and is booming. Toft pier is a favourite gathering point and this planned plant will not be welcomed by them.

We just want it built in an industrial area away from private housing where it will destroy lives, that's all.

If you can help please email:- "development.management@shetland.gov.uk"

We need your help here.

• 1 month later...

The whole community pulled together, 100% against this atrocity. Hopefully there will be no appeal.

Apparently they have 2 months or something to consider their options, we have no option to object now. The whole twisted system is loaded on the side of the developer, they can appeal and we cannot.

Hopefully that rare commodity, common sense, will kick in and the whole sorry spectacle of an industrial area at Toft will be forever condemned and prevented from becoming a reality.

I will take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped to consign this plan to the bin. Everyone I have spoken to this last few months has been very much against this development, and that includes people from all over Shetland and beyond. The tourists I take in have all been very much opposed to the whole disastrous idea.

Mind you there have been those who have driven all the way up the Toft road just to tell me what a great idea the net wash development is, and how much it would benefit the area. These people, who are well known to me, seem to delight in winding up others. I don't understand how anyone can get any pleasure out of this!!  :-D  :-D