dishwasher fishy smell

shetlandcars

We replaced the dishwasher as every few washes the dishes came out smelling fishy, new dishwasher is also doing the same thing.

Google search suggests other people get this issue, but no solution.

Was wondering if other folk in shetland came across this, perhaps something in the water?

The smell sometimes gets worse after the dishes have been put away, it sort of develops.

The plates can be washed a second time and come out smelling fine, there is no rhyme or reason to it

The dishwasher itself has no smell at all.

• 4 weeks later...
If you haven't already, first confirm that the drain hose is installed properly (I've attached video for you to check). The hose has to go up to the bottom of the counter-top and then down before it connects to the drain under the sink. This "high loop" is required unless you happen to have an air gap where the drain is connected.
Also, do you wash with hot water? If your wash water is cold, or not sufficiently hot, that can also contribute to residuals that will result in odors.
And my advice is to run an empty cycle with either a cup of white vinegar or some baking soda (it works well for our Whynter). But don't use the bleach - it might damage your dishwasher. Here are some tips about cleaning the insides.  

Also, what's the brand? My wife and I experienced this in our first rental after college. Landlord had just installed a new Bosch dishwasher the week before we moved in and we were the first to use it. Worked great for the first week or two: super quiet, efficient, cleaned well. But then we began to notice a putrid, rotting fish-like odor in the dishwasher and on the dishes. Worse yet, the odor would stay on dishes until you washed them again. Our resolution was to rinse everything before loading them in the dishwasher, thoroughly clean the filter every time we ran a load, and remove the dishes as soon as the cycle was complete (largely required some level of hand drying). And then I found that there was a design flaw in this model (can't recall the name, but it was in 2012), so the stinky stuff stucks and rots inside the dishwasher. But if you used two different models, that couldn't be the reason.

• 4 weeks later...

If you haven't already, first confirm that the drain hose is installed properly (I've attached video for you to check). The hose has to go up to the bottom of the counter-top and then down before it connects to the drain under the sink. This "high loop" is required unless you happen to have an air gap where the drain is connected.
Also, do you wash with hot water? If your wash water is cold, or not sufficiently hot, that can also contribute to residuals that will result in odors.
And my advice is to run an empty cycle with either a cup of white vinegar or some baking soda (it works well for our Whynter). But don't use the bleach - it might damage your dishwasher. Here are some tips about cleaning the insides.  

Also, what's the brand? My wife and I experienced this in our first rental after college. Landlord had just installed a new Bosch dishwasher the week before we moved in and we were the first to use it. Worked great for the first week or two: super quiet, efficient, cleaned well. But then we began to notice a putrid, rotting fish-like odor in the dishwasher and on the dishes. Worse yet, the odor would stay on dishes until you washed them again. Our resolution was to rinse everything before loading them in the dishwasher, thoroughly clean the filter every time we ran a load, and remove the dishes as soon as the cycle was complete (largely required some level of hand drying). And then I found that there was a design flaw in this model (can't recall the name, but it was in 2012), so the stinky stuff stucks and rots inside the dishwasher. But if you used two different models, that couldn't be the reason.

Thanks for the tips..I'm a little nervous about cleaning the inside myself though!

The smell is also on drying/dried clothes, I hadn't noticed it when I posted the above message - it seems to be something in the water and is not a drain smell, its essentially like the concentrated loch water smell

Edited by shetlandcars

Ask your supplier to have a look and check it out.

Yes we did, I'm not entirely sure they took it too seriously but they sent an engineer and he flushed the pipes, which gave us brown water for some time after but the issue persists

The water itself doesn't smell, it seems to be after its been heated up and its either dried or drying

Edited by shetlandcars