Poll - 2019 Shetland MSP by-election

Davie P

Holyrood Election  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the election were tomorrow, who would you vote for?

• Johan Adamson, Labour
    • Brydon Goodlad, Conservative
    • Stuart Martin, UKIP
    • Debra Nicolson, Green
    • Ian Scott, Independent
    • Michael Stout, Independent
    • Peter Tait, Independent
    • Ryan Thomson, Independent
    • Tom Wills, SNP
    • Beatrice Wishart, Lib Dems

@Suffererof1crankymofo - yup, I paid for my PG education too (in fact I'm still paying!) and travel grants and the like had long finished by the time I went to Uni.

Keeping in mind I said earlier that "I have no problem with those who can afford to contribute something being compelled to do so", the two fundamental reasons why IMHO the state should also contribute is a) equality of opportunity, ensuring students from lower income backgrounds can access higher education and B) having a well-educated workforce benefits the economy.

Also keep in mind that it is only core tuition fees that are covered by the government, only Scottish residents are eligible and the majority of students have to take out loans too.

Government supported tuition fees themselves are inward investments into the economy and many Scottish universities are world leaders attracting large numbers of non-Scottish students with all the economic benefits that entails.

I completely agree that there should be more supported vocational training opportunities such as apprenticeships, and I think the Scottish Government does quite well in that department.

I'm tinkin Ryan Thomson wid do a good job. He speaks a lot o sense and seems weel grounded.

I'm seen some o da idder eens speakin and hivna been aa dat impressed. Wan in particular has been campaignin long and hard on gettin weemin intae UHA but I don't think she's good at makin persuasive arguments and seems to get drawn intae pettiness too easily - no really parliament material.

Edited by Muckle Oxters

This is the safest of safe seats for the LibDems, if they put a LibDem rosette on a freshly clipped sheep and put it up for election it would most likely win by a landslide and be bleating away in Holyrood till the next election.

I have to disagree with JGHR when he says the millennials and post millennials will decide the vote, I hope I'm wrong but when I go to the polling booths and look around, the older ones always seem to vastly outnumber the younger ones.

This is the safest of safe seats for the LibDems, if they put a LibDem rosette on a freshly clipped sheep and put it up for election it would most likely win by a landslide and be bleating away in Holyrood till the next election.

I have to disagree with JGHR when he says the millennials and post millennials will decide the vote, I hope I'm wrong but when I go to the polling booths and look around, the older ones always seem to vastly outnumber the younger ones.

It might just be wishful thinking on my part, but I get the impression that younger folk are more engaged with the political process than they have been in the past. I think its a consequence of the monumental balls ups inflicted on them such as lack of action on climate change, and now Brexit. For that reason I think/hope we might see a swing towards more progressive thinking political representation in years to come. 

Also keep in mind that some millennials are not actually that young any more. Difficult to believe as it may be for oldies like me but 1980 was nigh on 40 year ago now.  

I'm surprised The Brexit Party haven't fielded. I expect they'd have done quite well in Shetland.

Maybe some local Brexit supporters would be considered too extremist for them, and the Brexit party considered not extreme enough by such supporters. They're a pretty tame bunch really IMHO.