Poll - 2019 Shetland MSP by-election

Davie P

Holyrood Election  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the election were tomorrow, who would you vote for?

• Johan Adamson, Labour
    • Brydon Goodlad, Conservative
    • Stuart Martin, UKIP
    • Debra Nicolson, Green
    • Ian Scott, Independent
    • Michael Stout, Independent
    • Peter Tait, Independent
    • Ryan Thomson, Independent
    • Tom Wills, SNP
    • Beatrice Wishart, Lib Dems

lots more scaremongering. vote for the candidate that you believe is promising the best for shetland. not that this party or that party is horrible and that they are going to do lots of nasty stuff. i would have expected the lib dems to be more positive than that. youve had power in both msp and mp for a long time either put forward positive stuff or just sit on your majority and hope. its sad that it cant be a more open and positive race. and no having an msp who is snp will not make an indy2 any more likely.

Dis is liklee a stupid question, but wid a councillor (let's say somebody lik Ryan Thomson) have to stand doon as a local councillor if dey became an MSP?

Askin for a friend ;-)

They all seem to either resign as councillors or wait till their mandate runs out and not stand for re-election here's a list of those in the Scottish parliament who've had dual mandates. Edited by Capeesh

Had the SNP at my door last night.  Sent them packing.   They seem to be canvassing "mob handed" as there were quite a few of them in Scy.

Geezz......You weren't wrong!

Had the Tartan (terror?) Army shoot through round here like an overdose of laxatives earlier tonight......

There's much I could say about their 'attitude' and 'methods', but to do it justice Admin would be here all night censoring it........

If there ever was a chance of me voting SNP, and their probably wasn't, if for no other reason of being mindful of the old saying, 'The old cock crows, and the young one learns', that lot blew it the minute they turned up. Two car loads, most of them in Hi-Viz vests.......I thought we were being raided by Plod at first glance.

I have no doubt, all, the candidates have the best interest of Shetland in their heart. They will have every best intention and  are standing for the best possible motives.

However once they are in, their political masters -if they are Party members,  will soon dictate what they can say and do.

Had the SNP at my door last night.  Sent them packing.   They seem to be canvassing "mob handed" as there were quite a few of them in Scy.

Had the Tartan (terror?) Army shoot through round here like an overdose of laxatives earlier tonight......

There's much I could say about their 'attitude' and 'methods', but to do it justice Admin would be here all night censoring it........

If there ever was a chance of me voting SNP, and their probably wasn't, if for no other reason of being mindful of the old saying, 'The old cock crows, and the young one learns', that lot blew it the minute they turned up. Two car loads, most of them in Hi-Viz vests.......I thought we were being raided by Plod at first glance.

I'm no sure why folk are sae worried aboot da SNP pittin a lot o effort intae canvassing. You dunna hae tae spaek tae dem or even answer your door, and you can vote for whaa you want. And dey'll tak doon dir stuff fae da lampposts when it's by we.

I'm spoken we dem a couple o times and I wis blyed o da chance to ask dem questions directly. It hasna swung my vote tae dem, but good on dem for engagin we folk.

Can't speak for GR but, where did I say I was "worried".  ?

Was just commenting on the fact that they seemed to be canvassing "en-mass"....

FWIW.  I saved them the time it would have taken them to "persuade" me to vote for them by making it clear at the outset that I would NEVER vote SNP..

I'm no sure why folk are sae worried aboot da SNP pittin a lot o effort intae canvassing. You dunna hae tae spaek tae dem or even answer your door, and you can vote for whaa you want. And dey'll tak doon dir stuff fae da lampposts when it's by we.

I'm spoken we dem a couple o times and I wis blyed o da chance to ask dem questions directly. It hasna swung my vote tae dem, but good on dem for engagin we folk.

'Worried', no. I should have run a vid on them, a picture is worth a thousand words and all that, but.....

Back o' 7 o'clock, two car loads of guys sweep in to the carpark worthy of a scene for The Sweeney. At least six, of them, but almost centainly more, for they were buzzin around so much I quit trying to get a headcount. Majority dressed in Hi-Viz vests, and spent the whole time they were here either power walking scoping anything and everything, huddling in to groups for an intense exchange or descending on doorsteps in groups of three. All unless one that is, who spent the whole time on a mobile which he was holding way up in the air (at least they now know just how absolute crap the signal is around here, which may have been the only positive thing of the whole event).

Personally I found the whole scene mildly amusing and more than a little ridiculous, but I could understand if someone felt overwhelmed and threatened to some dergree by it. The carpark is probably no more more than 60ft x 40ft, if even that, and their antics gave a decided sense of  'inavde and occupy'. almost certainly NOT the impression the organisers and participants intended to give, but thats how it came off.