Poll - 2019 Shetland MSP by-election

Davie P

Holyrood Election  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the election were tomorrow, who would you vote for?

• Johan Adamson, Labour
    • Brydon Goodlad, Conservative
    • Stuart Martin, UKIP
    • Debra Nicolson, Green
    • Ian Scott, Independent
    • Michael Stout, Independent
    • Peter Tait, Independent
    • Ryan Thomson, Independent
    • Tom Wills, SNP
    • Beatrice Wishart, Lib Dems

I'm not sure that the Green Party candidate calling for the end of the North Sea oil industry will win her too many votes in Shetland - https://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2019/08/16/green-candidate-calls-for-beginning-of-the-end-for-oil-industry

I think Tom Wills has a more pragmatic view that “As long as oil and gas extraction is continuing then I want to see the benefits to Shetland maximised.” - https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/204857/snp-tidal-energy-hopeful-wants-to-maximise-shetland-oil-and-gas-extraction/

What do you folks think? Make the best of it while we can and/or make a more concerted push for green?

Edit: obviously all the candidates will have an opinion on it. The above examples are just for illustration purposes!

How about both?  How about looking into carbon capture to offset the emissions from fossil fuels while using the fact that Shetland has multiple green energy sources literally on her doorstep and work out how to best harness them?  

I believe Nicola Sturgeon is going to pay yet another visit to Shetland, has she not sent enough of her minions here already?

Why isn't she spending some time in her own constituency of Govan? Maybe she could be helping there with the bed bug epidemic and other pressing local issues. Her constituents there are far from happy.

Shetland is I suppose far more important to Nicola and the independence dream.

^I wonder if Boris could find Shetland on a map?

For sure he will, along with Rockall, Scilly Isles, Channel isles, etc, as they mark the furthest extremities of his realm.

Orkney, Western Isles, Lundy, IOW etc.......Probably not so much.

As for knowing exactly what is here, and who is here.......Other than a radar watching for the bear poking at him with a stick......Probably not.

^ They obviously don't "get" Shetland and Shetlanders, parachuting in flying pickets to blanket bomb the place is more negative to them than positive.

A familiar face, even if only very vaguely so, and a local accent, or at least a relatively neutral one goes a long way further towards winning people over than any amount of carefully worded rhetoric and choreographed plans of approach from alien faces speaking in alien tongues.

^ They obviously don't "get" Shetland and Shetlanders, parachuting in flying pickets to blanket bomb the place is more negative to them than positive.

A familiar face, even if only very vaguely so, and a local accent, or at least a relatively neutral one goes a long way further towards winning people over than any amount of carefully worded rhetoric and choreographed plans of approach from alien faces speaking in alien tongues.

I've encountered dem twaree times and dir was plenty of local folk among dem

^ There's bound to e some somewhere, but local party stalwart faces have been few and far between in anything I've seen, in a marked contrast to previous campaigns where they've tended to be in the forefront of pretty much everything everywhere.

The crowd that came round here definitely had no-one recognisable as a local among them, and had every appearance of being 'straight outta the central belt".

My main issue with the SNP has been independence and their obsession with it, despite the country telling them they didn’t want it at the last referendum. But after seeing the way they are conducting this by-election campaign, I’m now more concerned at what I see as heavy handed, over the top tactics, which seems to be the SNPs way of operating.

Whilst it seems the rest of the candidates are very much in charge of their own campaigns, the same cannot be said for Tom Wills. Clearly the SNP bosses are in charge of his campaign. this tells us all we need to know about how the SNP will treat Shetland in the future no matter how genuine Tom feels about his policies.