Poll - 2019 Shetland MSP by-election

Davie P

Holyrood Election  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the election were tomorrow, who would you vote for?

• Johan Adamson, Labour
    • Brydon Goodlad, Conservative
    • Stuart Martin, UKIP
    • Debra Nicolson, Green
    • Ian Scott, Independent
    • Michael Stout, Independent
    • Peter Tait, Independent
    • Ryan Thomson, Independent
    • Tom Wills, SNP
    • Beatrice Wishart, Lib Dems

^I wonder if you remember the percentages for and against at the last referendum? About 52% against.

I wonder if you are aware of the changes that have come about in the last two or three years. Now, in Scotland, it's something like 65% wishing to go it alone. In my opinion, letting Westminster strip the benefits of oil off us, strip the benefits of fishing off us and all the rest is wrong.

We are being stripped bare thanks to Westminster.

That's what Westminster calls democracy.

^I wonder if you remember the percentages for and against at the last referendum? About 52% against.

I wonder if you are aware of the changes that have come about in the last two or three years. Now, in Scotland, it's something like 65% wishing to go it alone. In my opinion, letting Westminster strip the benefits of oil off us, strip the benefits of fishing off us and all the rest is wrong.

We are being stripped bare thanks to Westminster.

That's what Westminster calls democracy.

No one has asked me ,but ma'be I do not count.

SNPs Derek Mackay made the following comments according to the article on Shetland News.

“Asked if Shetland could expect the full £7.9 million Shetland Islands Council has asked for should islanders vote for the SNP candidate, Mackay said he was not prepared to set out Scotland’s budget in this interview.

But he added: “Do I think that Shetland’s hand will be strengthened by the election of Tom Wills? Yes I do. And do I believe there will be further progress on the internal ferries issue with Tom Wills as MSP? Yes I do.”

This again smacks of you have to be part of our club or your getting nowt. I see these type of remarks as nothing other than a firm of blackmail and bullying islanders into voting for them. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Re: vandalism of the war memorial (which, we understand, has now been cleaned off)

At this stage there is no evidence of who was responsible or their motives so let's not be distracted by speculation.

Couldn’t agree more, and I was delighted to see that the candidates had condemned the act of vandalism. Who ever did this and whatever their motives or political persuasion, should be ashamed, but a big round of applause and respect for the volunteers who stood and cleaned it off in quick time.

SNPs Derek Mackay made the following comments according to the article on Shetland News.

“Asked if Shetland could expect the full £7.9 million Shetland Islands Council has asked for should islanders vote for the SNP candidate, Mackay said he was not prepared to set out Scotland’s budget in this interview.

But he added: “Do I think that Shetland’s hand will be strengthened by the election of Tom Wills? Yes I do. And do I believe there will be further progress on the internal ferries issue with Tom Wills as MSP? Yes I do.”

This again smacks of you have to be part of our club or your getting nowt. I see these type of remarks as nothing other than a firm of blackmail and bullying islanders into voting for them. They should be ashamed of themselves.

The same money will come our way from Holyrood regardless whether we put Wills in or not. We've heard their threats/promises too many times before to believe one damn word. Their last chance to redeem themselves was Humza's long time in the making north boat 'fare reductions', and we know how that panned out - Robbing Peter to pay Paul to lower some by hiking others to finance it. 'New money' was minimal, if any.

Nothing is going to change in 18 months, they've had 10 year to bribe us, and what we have is what that amounts to. Beyond 18 months, who knows, but it would seem the nats may no longer be a significant factor by then, their lustre as 'saviours' of Scotland and the bringers of utopia for all is looking pretty tarnished and fading more every day.