Poll - 2019 Shetland MSP by-election

Davie P

Holyrood Election  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the election were tomorrow, who would you vote for?

• Johan Adamson, Labour
    • Brydon Goodlad, Conservative
    • Stuart Martin, UKIP
    • Debra Nicolson, Green
    • Ian Scott, Independent
    • Michael Stout, Independent
    • Peter Tait, Independent
    • Ryan Thomson, Independent
    • Tom Wills, SNP
    • Beatrice Wishart, Lib Dems

^I would be interested to see some proof regarding what you claim the S.N.P. are guilty of. I would be interested to see if you could, in any way whatsoever, prove that the Lib Dems, the Tory's, the Labour Party, any other political party at all that hasn't been guilty of this sort of thing.

Take the blinkers off and read the news items, it’s staring you in the face. They’ve been brought up for it. Perhaps if I mentioned Westminster you’d agree ;-)

I’ve not seen anything similar from the other parties, but of course they are not in power in Scotland.

Edited by Windwalker

> bed bug epidemic

From my joyful time living in London.. I can recommend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

No use trying any poisons, they are resistant to everything now !

Related link:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/790233/Bedbug-warning-blood-sucking-insects-resistant-insecticides-poison

I’ve not seen anything similar from the other parties, but of course they are not in power in Scotland.

No, the other parties are not in power in Scotland, at present. Having said that, the Scottish Government operating out of Holyrood operates in the same manner as Westminster. They all have their say in what is being considered. Sometimes they will get their way and sometimes they wont. Just like Holyrood, and at the moment there are four Lib Dems, six greens, thirty-one Tories and twenty-three from Scottish labour. The rest are S.N.P, who have the loudest shout at present. Again, operated in what is seen as the same manner as the ones down south.

When every other political party in every democracy on the planet makes a series of pledges/promises/actions to try and win votes they call it a manifesto or policies.

When the SNP do it it's called blackmail/bribes/threats/bullying.

Hmmmmm. OK then.

I think youve mixed up two separate issues. Everyone accepts that political parties and individuals will make statements about what they can offer and what they hope to achieve, this helps us decide who we might vote for. This is a completely different issue from the SNPs backhand attempts to basically say, you won’t get anything unless you vote our man in. Most of the SNP top dogs have suggested this and in my opinion that’s where the threats and blackmail lie. Policies are one thing but their vail attempts to persuade us that things can only get better if we vote in Wills is completely unacceptable.
Not mixed up at all, it's the same issue not seperate ones, Tom Wills issued a list of policies for Shetland he said he would work hard to try and get implemented if elected. If he's rejected at the polls then he reverts to being a normal citizen like you or me, he can hardly try and get his plans implemented in Holyrood if he's back working with windmills in the North Sea. Not blackmail just the way the world works.

What are the SNP supposed to say, would it go something like this?...

The best chance the people of Shetland have of getting Tom Wills ambitious plans implemented is to reject him and our party at the polls and vote for one of his opponents

Edited by Capeesh

When every other political party in every democracy on the planet makes a series of pledges/promises/actions to try and win votes they call it a manifesto or policies.

Hmmmmm. OK then.

I think youve mixed up two separate issues. Everyone accepts that political parties and individuals will make statements about what they can offer and what they hope to achieve, this helps us decide who we might vote for. This is a completely different issue from the SNPs backhand attempts to basically say, you won’t get anything unless you vote our man in. Most of the SNP top dogs have suggested this and in my opinion that’s where the threats and blackmail lie. Policies are one thing but their vail attempts to persuade us that things can only get better if we vote in Wills is completely unacceptable.
Not mixed up at all, it's the same issue not seperate ones, Tom Wills issued a list of policies for Shetland he said he would work hard to try and get implemented if elected. If he's rejected at the polls then he reverts to being a normal citizen like you or me, he can hardly try and get his plans implemented in Holyrood if he's back working with windmills in the North Sea. Not blackmail just the way the world works.

The best chance the people of Shetland have of getting Tom Wills ambitious plans implemented is to reject him and our party at the polls and vote for one of his opponents

I have no problem with Tom Wills laying out his list of policies, this is what I would expect him to do, he’s been clear in what he hopes to achieve. The problem lies with the visiting dignitaries from the SNP party who are making statements which basically say the only way we will get listened to is if we vote in their candidate.

We seem to be at odds with this, so we will just have to agree to disagree.

“There has been an open door to Shetland’s elected representatives throughout the time we have been in government." Nicola Sturgeon First Minister 14th August 2019.

They've never said our representatives wouldn't be listened to if we don't vote for them, they're just backing their man in an election, hardly unusual.

Edited by Capeesh

Hmmmmm. OK then.

No, the SNP are supposed say. "We care about Shetland's needs and want to ensure Shetland is treated fairly and equitably with the whole of Scotland. We recommend Shetland votes for Wills, who, as an SNP MSP, we believe would be best suited to help the SNP government deliver on these aspirations".

Unfortunately the rhetoric we're hearing from them, comes off sounding like, "Vote for Wills, and the SNP government will listen to you, but vote in any of the rest and the SNP government will ignore you exist". A pretty hollow 'threat' though all in all, as although they're *promising* to 'listen', they're not promising to act, let alone deliver anything.

Edited by Ghostrider

The "threat" is made up nonsense fabricated by their opponents, all they've done is back their man in an election, nothing unusual, nothing sinister, it would be entirely bizarre if they did anything else.

It's desperate and hopefully people will see through it.

Nah, I think it’s just the way the SNP operate and the people, as you put it, are seeing through them.

Their interest in Shetland will fade very quickly as soon as the election is over, regardless of who wins.

The "threat" is made up nonsense fabricated by their opponents, all they've done is back their man in an election, nothing unusual, nothing sinister, it would be entirely bizarre if they did anything else.

It's desperate and hopefully people will see through it.

Other way around I think, Opponents catching on to it and making use of it after people were noticing the 'tone' used and mentioning it. It was being noted by individuals right from the very start, long before any opponent every said a word.

As the saying goes, what each individual takes from any one statement is at least in some small way unique to themselves. Some will see the current SNP rhetoric as benign and 'normal' for the current situation, while to others the implied 'warnings' within it jump out like red flags.

Copywriters and campaign managers, whatever the subject field, tend to strive to design their propaganda in such a way as the number of people seeing red flags, and the number of red flags seen are minimised, whatever else the SNP may or may not have done, they have failed on that score at least. As a very many people are seeing a very many red flags in their current campaign.

Wills, fair doos, he's said his piece, you can judge him on that, its his 'support' from further up the totem that has put the doubts and concerns in to it all.

Wills, fair doos, he's said his piece, you can judge him on that, its his 'support' from further up the totem that has put the doubts and concerns in to it all.

At present, at the top of the page, there are 37% choosing Ryan Thomson, Independent. There are 40% choosing S.N.P. A lot of peeps around here lately will no doubt still tell us all how wrong that is for people to take that stance. No doubt they will each take about six weeks, three days and half a dozen cups of coffee to tell us how it is so wrong.

It does look, however, that they have not provided a single thrupenny bit regarding their own claims. Only their likes and dislikes, but they do their best to put it forward as being factual.

I'll vote S.N.P. in the vain hope that those of us north of the wee English border put in enough votes to go Indy. After all, that then makes it a little more effective for Shetland to go Indy. That potentially gives two benefits. An independent Scotland and an independent Shetland.

That means that both Scotland and Shetland do not pay a single penny to Westminster. Why pay a penny, only to find that you get nothing useful back.