Poll - 2019 Shetland MSP by-election

Davie P

Holyrood Election  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the election were tomorrow, who would you vote for?

• Johan Adamson, Labour
    • Brydon Goodlad, Conservative
    • Stuart Martin, UKIP
    • Debra Nicolson, Green
    • Ian Scott, Independent
    • Michael Stout, Independent
    • Peter Tait, Independent
    • Ryan Thomson, Independent
    • Tom Wills, SNP
    • Beatrice Wishart, Lib Dems

According to their critics, the SNP sell Shetland short because we've never voted for them, this is a comically hard sell because it relies heavily on us not noticing the things they've done with our own eyes.

All you have to do is look around you.

Do you know anybody living in one of these new affordable homes that've sprung up all over Shetland? There's hundreds of them.

Do you have kids or grandkids going to nursery about to recieve nearly double the free hours?

Maybe they're a bit older attending the brand new high school?

Maybe they've just graduated or are away studying getting their free university education.

Have you travelled to the mainland lately? I have, 50% discount on my flights. (Had a great time thanks)

Need medicine? No probs, Shetlands sick don't get taxed for being ill, free prescriptions all round.

Just had a baby? Here's a baby box to help you get started on the joys of parenthood. The list goes on and on.

Monty Pythons sketch "What have the Romans ever done for us" springs to mind.

Tom Wills has said if he's elected he'll fight tooth and nail to recieve more benefits for us in Shetland using all his influence as a member of the governing party to improve things for all Shetlanders, there's a good chance he would be successful if given the chance yet here he is getting pilloried for it.

What a difference it is having people put some effort in to win our votes, it's true it's not the way it's been done in Shetland, the majority of us have just ticked the same old box for decades even when there's been little in the way of policy to entice us.

Edited by Capeesh

I've already covered the new high school, it was built using the "private finance initiative" or PFI. We, the taxpayers, will be paying for that for the next 30 years, and paying an exorbitant sum many times more than the building costs. Someone is getting big bucks out of this and it aint us. Alex Salmond loved the PFI. Enough said.

According to the latest GERS report its the English taxpayers paying for our “freebies”. Prior to ADS the flights ran full without any requirement for subsidies. Only now ADS subsidises the airline to keep its fares high for visitors. Students used to get grants and bursaries to cover fees and accommodation. Things have only improved in line with rest of the UK. I hope the Scottish Government haven’t taken note of how good our services are here already. Much better roads and infrastructure than similar rural areas elsewhere.

^^You wouldn't get my vote if you were running, I like these policies.

Pricelessly funny things about this election part 123...

With half the members of the Scottish Government up here campaigning, the very same people who complain bitterly about the government ignoring Shetland are literally chasing them away from their doorsteps!

Smirk should do a cartoon!

Edited by Capeesh

^^You wouldn't get my vote if you were running, I like these policies.

Pricelessly funny things about this election part 123...

With half the members of the Scottish Government up here campaigning, the very same people who complain bitterly about the government ignoring Shetland are literally chasing them away from their doorsteps!

Smirk should do a cartoon!

The phrase, "You only see them when they're wanting something from you" applies.

Trying to drag in a few of the Green supporters now, and the youth who've been brainwashed by their schools curriculum to 'do something, anything, never mind how ineffectual - just do it, and do it now".

https://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2019/08/25/wills-calls-on-sic-to-declare-climate-emergency

Of course, being involved in the 'Green' industry himself, this one could well be seen as helping put a few more pennies from trickle down in to his own pocket eventually too.

Trying to drag in a few of the Green supporters now, and the youth who've been brainwashed by their schools curriculum to 'do something, anything, never mind how ineffectual - just do it, and do it now".

https://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2019/08/25/wills-calls-on-sic-to-declare-climate-emergency

Which bit are you complaining about? Kids being taught about climate science and politics, or kids being politically active?

Of course, being involved in the 'Green' industry himself, this one could well be seen as helping put a few more pennies from trickle down in to his own pocket eventually too.

Are you suggesting he is taking a stance on climate change for his own financial benefit? If so, I suggest you take your accusation as a conflict of interest complaint to the Scottish Government. It may be a more effective way forward than making insinuations on a forum.

He's talking about the easily influenced and manipulated youngsters, who have little knowledge of the realities of life. Have no experience of income tax, council tax, household budgets, electricity costs, oil prices, insurance costs, etc. 

Of course the next generation as well as the present should be alarmed and frightened regarding the climate emergency, but this doesn't need to be cynically pursued as a means of securing votes for Scottish independence. 

And that is exactly what is happening. 

What?

Kids went on a protest about climate change, and Wills, who has already nailed his colours to the mast re: climate change, urged the SIC to “listen to the voice of the next generation”. I see no problem there and he's certainly not the only person in politics to do so.

But hey ho, lets continue to find ways to single out Wills and reframe him as a baddie....