Poll - 2019 Shetland MSP by-election

Davie P

Holyrood Election  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the election were tomorrow, who would you vote for?

• Johan Adamson, Labour
    • Brydon Goodlad, Conservative
    • Stuart Martin, UKIP
    • Debra Nicolson, Green
    • Ian Scott, Independent
    • Michael Stout, Independent
    • Peter Tait, Independent
    • Ryan Thomson, Independent
    • Tom Wills, SNP
    • Beatrice Wishart, Lib Dems

One think that really "hurt" them was when, allegedly, one of their "less intelligent" (and there are many) supporters(?) spray painted the War Memorial with "SNP".  They might as well have sprayed it with "IRA" or a Swastika etc.

Quite possibly sprayed up by the Lib Dem's.

Quite probably.

Personally, I think very definitely. Only a thought, though.

Or indeed younger, as this may be getting to be a middle-aged forum.

Does anyone know the demographics of this forum. I did notice a lot of new members joining to apparently .vote SNP in this poll. We’ll see if the make any more posts about other things.

Edited by Wheelsup

​Well to be honest I am disappointed Ryan Thomson didn't win, although he did well. However, I am very relieved that the SNP didn't get in. They threw the kitchen sink at it and still only got ~30% of the vote. 

​I still firmly believe some form of Autonomy is the way forward for Shetland, if we elect an SNP MSP then the chances of that ever happening are greatly diminished. 

Didn't think that Ryan Thomson would make it so, I took the safe option.

Agree that now we have told the SNP to "go away", I think that we might have won a few "friends" at Westminster and that a request for some kind of autonomy might be viewed with some favour. 

Are there any "leaders" out there willing to give it a go ?

I'm no an SNP voter mesel, but I  hardly tink da SNP comin 2nd and increasin dir vote by 9%, and da Lib Dems losin 20%, is tellin dem tae 'go away'!

One think that really "hurt" them was when, allegedly, one of their "less intelligent" (and there are many) supporters(?) spray painted the War Memorial with "SNP".

Funny "that". A "more intelligent" person may query the "intelligence" of such an act attributing any positive outcome for their chosen political party and avoid doing something "****ing stupid".

It must be a tad disappointing, after all the time and effort and money spent.

Time, money... and zip ties.

I feel sorry for Tom Wills as I respect him as a credible candidate, but definitely feel his party stepped in and scared folk off. Looking at the speeches given this morning he was certainly the more gracious.

Now I'm waiting to be surprised and see Wishart do something of any merit before getting voted in next time.

Jo Swinson's stance on "Brexit" certainly lost them some votes,probably not as many as I would have thought ,but many would have voted for them just to keep the SNP out and well it worked. 

Well done Beatrice now lets see what you can do, i wish art aw da best.

Edited by Urabug

Muckle Oxters, the major reason the Lib Dems have had a reduced majority is the huge number of candidates this time round. Lib Dem supporters may well decide to vote for an independent this time round. However the diehard SNP voter with that rabid eye fixed on independence will never vote for any other party.

I hear dee. Du can tone aa dis doon noo dat da election is ower.

It's basic arithmetic - Lib Dem doon 20%, SNP up 9% and Ryan Thomson 'up' 11% - da rest o da candidates got less than 10% o da vote atween dem

Edited by Muckle Oxters

I reckon were it not for the people tactically voting Lib Dem Ryan could have been right up there, from the conversations I have had I have gotten this impression anyway.

One complaint I have heard is that all the main candidates basically seemed to be after the same thing, begging Holyrood for more money.

In this context, it would be interesting to see how a pro-autonomy, Shetland based party with a good candidate would do. Offering something truly alternative from the Unionist vs Nationalist guff which has come to typify Scottish politics.

Great to see the SNP 'door people' standing at the polling stations, a bit intimidating no doubt for some voters.

Not sure why you would say it was great to see them despite accepting it could be a bit intimidating for some voters.

This over the top approach by the SNP, with lamp post posters, flying in all the top brass, bringing in the foot soldiers, folk at doors of polling stations leaflets after leaflet, over planning etc etc, likely ended up having a negative effect. I think the SNP let Tom down by their over the top approach. This push it down your throat approach might work in Edinburgh, but it’s not the way we’re used to it up here. The top brass in their desperation to win the seat, took over his campaign and I think that lost him votes.

Yes Whalsa that would be interesting indeed, we need to keep clear of the SNP for future possibilities in this direction, because they will sink any autonomy hopes if given the power.

They need Shetland for their independence dream to be fulfilled, the oil and the fishing, they are sunk without it.

Faroe is doing very nicely.

I reckon were it not for the people tactically voting Lib Dem Ryan could have been right up there, from the conversations I have had I have gotten this impression anyway.

One complaint I have heard is that all the main candidates basically seemed to be after the same thing, begging Holyrood for more money.

In this context, it would be interesting to see how a pro-autonomy, Shetland based party with a good candidate would do. Offering something truly alternative from the Unionist vs Nationalist guff which has come to typify Scottish politics.

It would be very good to see a pro-autonomy Shetland party. In itself, it would make Westminster worry about what they could possibly loose. On top of that, if we went indy, we would have full control regarding fish, oil, gas etc that can be taken out of our waters.

I Think your right Whalsa, many people I spoke to said they would like to have voted for him, but it might reduce the Lib Dem vote and let the SNP in. I think a candidate standing on an pro-autonomy ticket could shake things up.