Poll - 2019 Shetland MSP by-election

Davie P

Holyrood Election  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If the election were tomorrow, who would you vote for?

• Johan Adamson, Labour
    • Brydon Goodlad, Conservative
    • Stuart Martin, UKIP
    • Debra Nicolson, Green
    • Ian Scott, Independent
    • Michael Stout, Independent
    • Peter Tait, Independent
    • Ryan Thomson, Independent
    • Tom Wills, SNP
    • Beatrice Wishart, Lib Dems

A freeze on ferry fare would work wonders if the price of diesel soared.

Free fares for foot travellers on ferries?  No doubt in the interests of those living on Shetland, they'll introduce free bus fares too.

All this rubbish about free prescriptions and what else is free under SNP rule is rubbish, it comes out of the central pot, taxes.  No mention as to how businesses are struggling or closing down as a result of the increases in business rates.  Holyrood is dysfunctional.

^ not directed at anyone in particular, but I assume most people understand that things provided for 'free' by the government come from taxes, and 'free' means free to the user. Unless, of course, in the unlikely event the pharmaceutical companies make their products free at source.

For the sake of clarity, free prescriptions were introduced with broad cross-party support in 2011 (as I recall, only the Tories opposed it) so credit/blame can't be given solely to the SNP.

With regards to prescriptions, I can't recall ever having had a prescription but I'm more than happy for some of my taxes to go toward other peoples'

'Freebies' are all fine and well, but they need to be realistic and sensible. They should be based strictly on 'need', blanket freebies for everybody just ends up with those on minimum wage subsidising those on £50k and more who can well afford to pay.

In the case of subsidised North boat and air fares, the number each eligible person can claim in a year should be strictly limited, otherwise it just encourages shopping jollies which do nothing but take money out of teh local economy. If the SNP want see Shetland grow and thrive, then heavily subsidies freight costs and subsidise tourist fares. The nearer to Aberdeen costs our exports are when they hit the pier in Abderdden, and our imports are when they hit the Lerwick pier, the more competitive and profitable local business becomes, and tourists come here to spend.

Wills' 'promises', some of which Labour share, are designed to appeal to the instant gratification 'me, me, me' mob, they do nothing to enhance and improve Shetland or its population going forward.

Talking of free stuff, I'm reminded about flu jabs, which only some folk get free.

Not a problem you might say, just pay £10 and buy one from your GP, except.. you can only do that on the smaller islands !

How come the discrimination against folk on Shetland mainland who can't get a flu jab unless they visit Aberdeen ?

If they do so much for us anyway Capeesh, why is Keith Brown issuing warnings?

He did no such thing, read the article again, the headline and first paragraph don't match the full quote.

Tom Gordon, the author of the piece is one of the main go to guys at the Herald for "SNP accused" stories. Don't believe me? Google "SNP accused Herald" and see for yourself.

He's taken a quote, used a small portion of it and added his own spin as the lead up to that partial quote.

He's clumsily using all the old hack tricks to try and make a story out of nothing, for example using the word "appearing" in the first line of his yarn..."THE deputy leader of the SNP has been criticised for appearing to threaten voters with poorer public services if they don’t back the party in a byelection." gets alarm bells ringing right away. He's fabricating a fascinating tale that catches the eye but has no basis in fact.

The full quote is included further down the article to cover his backside but the hatchet job's already been done and the people who lap this stuff up have already bought the paper or snatched at the clickbait.

Edited by Capeesh

^ Care to post the full quote then, as the only thing available to some of us is the 'quote' in the first paragraph - The Herald site requires registration to see it all, and not everybody is willing to do that, especilally just to see one more piece of space filler propaganda.

The fact remains though, that if anybody within the SNP government/party has said anything that could be construed to suggest a constituency served by a non-SNP MSP may end up getting a 'lesser' service as a result, is grounds to raise an eyebrow. Any government's job, as far as I'm concerned is to serve and provide for all parts on the territory they govern equally and fairly, certainly where one of the ruling party's members is the representative it makes doing that easier all round, but the onus still lies with the government to work with representatives from other political persuasions so that they do the job they're elected to do properly. That's the theory anyway, but as we know, its seldom demonstrated in practice.

Its not just this guy in the acticle that's at it though, Wills' own bumph includes the soundbite bullet point headline "Real Influence at Holyrood" which carries the same implied message - That returning any of the other nine candidates equals less/zero 'influsnce' on what happens in Edinburgh than returning him.

Who is paying for all those SNP celebrities expenses like in travel ,accommadation and food and refreshments.

If they paid it themselves,out of there own pockets , they would probably not be so keen on traveling so far north.

And who is paying for all yon yellow placqes plastered all about the place.

Its a done threw fundraising and there donors, the SNP like many other political parties have some very wealthy donors who put a lot of cash in, plus anyone that's a member can also donate as little as a pound a month,

Brian Souter put 2.5 million in 2014

Lotto winner Chris and Colin Weir put in 3 million in 2014

Recently a woman passed away and left them 153k

Its a done threw fundraising and there donors, the SNP like many other political parties have some very wealthy donors who put a lot of cash in, plus anyone that's a member can also donate as little as a pound a month,

Goodness Me ! All yon money being wasted on a load of **ite when there are folk  dying a hunger. :rofl:

Goodness Me ! All yon money being wasted on a load of **ite when there are folk  dying a hunger. :rofl:

True but you could say that about all politcal parties because this is limited only to the SNP

Just remain aware of what Westminster demands payment for - and how much it demands, and of course, just who benefits the most.

I see as well as having two visits from Nicola Sturgen, we are having a 2nd visit from the deputy leader along with MEP Christian Allard, then to be followed by Westminster leader Ian Blackford.

It is unbelievable the money the SNP are throwing at this, pity they can’t find the time to come up when issues like airport parking charges are being discussed..

According to the Sunday Times, they say the SNP have run a highly visible campaign, importing teams of activists from the mainland. That’s maybe the group Ghostie saw around his neighbourhood.

This all smacks of more than just desperation to win a local by-election !!!