Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

I think this might just be a little bit misleading....

http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/strategy/renewable/windfarmFootprintMapApril08.pdf

here's a link to a map that shows just how much bigger this windfarm is than any other proposed in Scotland.

If you read the key to the map, it tells you that the large area shown on Shetland's central mainland is the area that was being 'scoped' in April 2008. It isn't meant to represent the size of the wind farm.

The area 'scoped' for Whitelees wind farm and Blacklaw wind farm was much larger but the map only shows the size of the consented wind farms. Lies, damn lies and statistics again. :roll:

^^^^ Old news, Sheepy. They tried to build it in a bird reserve, numpties. What did they expect. ^^^^

lol. Well, given that the RSPB has a policy of supporting wind energy, and that "not building the windfarm will kill all the birds anyway" you have some gall in calling them "numpties". :wink:

Anyway, I'm not sure it was a bird reserve, it was more of a bog reserve I thought.

lol. Well, given that the RSPB has a policy of supporting wind energy, and that "not building the windfarm will kill all the birds anyway" you have some gall in calling them "numpties". :wink:

Not to put words in anyone's mouths, but I presumed he was calling them "numpties" because trying to get planning permission in a reserve is taking on a losing battle from the offset - in short, a bit of a numpty mission to take on in the real world (regardless of views on birds).

I've been doing an awful lot of reading on all this, and what a breath of fresh air it is to read the RSPB and SNH objections as opposed to the other ones. Non-emotive, objective language and reasons for objection rather than highly polarised sensationalism.

I hope Viking can sort out there issues with them, because I can see no reason why it shouldn't go ahead if they do.

:shock:

What was the context?

It was in relation to the new Planning laws in Scotland and the existence of a mindset in many parts of the country that led to opposition to every type of development from vocal sections of the 'community' - including those who don't actually live in the area in question.

• 4 weeks later...

If Shetland (council tax payers) don't bankroll VE and SSE go it alone with a wind-farm, as threatened, what will it mean to us?

Will there be less jobs?

Will there be less rates to pay?

Will OUR electricity be cheaper?

Will there be any financial risk to the average Shetlander?

sound like a good option.

Maintenance man dies at wind farm

A contractor has died while carrying out maintenance work on a turbine at a wind farm near Thurso.

"The wind farm came on stream in 2004. Its 21 turbines generate enough energy for 25,000 homes."

I wonder if the odds on this happening here go up, if the one up here is say 3% bigger. If so it doesn’t bode wellfor the Shetland one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8258836.stm

^

That link explains absolutely nothing about the accident. For all you know it could be completely unrelated to the actual turbines themselves.

^^^ :?:

"contractor who died while carrying out maintenance work on a turbine at a wind farm near Thurso has been named.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8258836.stm

You

"could be completely unrelated to the actual turbines themselves"

You loose I think

"contractor who died while carrying out maintenance work on a turbine"

Yet I still wonder if the odds on this happening here go up, if the one up here is say 3% bigger. If so it doesn’t bode wellfor the Shetland one

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy