Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

The VE Facebook page has 265 members which is quite a significant amount of support. In fact, the support for this project is almost unprecidented in terms of windfarm developments.

there really is no need to be so petty, if you aren't a supporter then that's fine - is there any need to be so childish about the debate?

I concur.

And regarding how many "hits" their page gets - can I ask how you know this? I would imagine only the moderators/administrators can see hit counts.

I find it very sad that the tone of this debate has slipped so far. Shouldn't this thread be about the pros and cons of Viking's proposals?

Personally I believe that criticism ought always to be contructive - afterall, you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

If you think the website/Facebook/anything they produce is "poo" then maybe you ought to write to/email Viking and outline how you think these things can be improved? That would certainly be more constructive than the comments made here.

On further reflection on my previous post, this new revelation taps straight into one of my primary concerns about the whole VE project as presented.

VE has always been portrayed, for fairly sound reasons no doubt, in isolation, whilst all the time bodies elsewhere have been developing ideas for other projects and infrastructure. It would be an absolute travesty, or perhaps tragedy, if the North Sea grid had not been factored into VE's plans and so much time and resources were spent developing a plan which did not mesh with other projects towards the same ends. :?

The VE Facebook page has 265 members which is quite a significant amount of support. In fact, the support for this project is almost unprecidented in terms of windfarm developments.

there really is no need to be so petty, if you aren't a supporter then that's fine - is there any need to be so childish about the debate?

Pardon me for having a sense of humour for which I do not apologise. The same is in response to the other person who commented on the post I had made.

Perhaps VE have more than one page on Facebook - that is, if I'm allowed to comment on it without being accused of being childish - it did not have over 265 members and had a grand total of three separate people posting.

and theres doubts if the VE windfarm is any use to it? uncompatible? and is the UK being "an adult" in this grid partnership?

I'm not sure about the role of the UK within this 'partnership' but what is for sure over here (on the continent) is the fact that the North Sea Grid will be one of the first projects with the EU playing the new cards of its new rights according to the Lisbon Treaty, esp. its rights of access and usage of the sea beds.

The Viking windfarm? Well, I'm afraid, it 's a minor project within the whole appraoch incl. the forthcoming Pentland tidals and the Icelandic and Norwegian reserves of renewable powers which will be connected with the continent via the grid as well. I think there will be some spare place on the one or the other cable ... :lol: But I'm not sure whether Viking will be able / willing to pay the fees for using the grid. I'm afraid that these calculations will be done by the big international companies like Vattenfall or E.on and they are still used to "continental fees" which are much higher than anything under discussion within the UK.

, esp. its rights of access and usage of the sea beds.

Does the Lisbon treaty affect the seabed owned by the crown estate? (Think it is out to 12 miles?) Seem to remember the CE (Crown Estate, not Chief Executive) being involved in some discussions about an interconnector cable a while back. Of course, according to the King of Forvik, they don't own it anyway (in Shetland) but he has been very quiet of late. Luckily, Dave Clark has materialised as the new target for pages and pages of enmity from vexed shetlinkers.

Well, the North Sea Grid would be a bit more than the single interconnector Viking is talking about. The grid would allow to export Shetland's windenergy through 'a backdoor' even in the case that the single interconnetor as it is planned today might be blocked or broken.

The underlying idea of the grid is to build up a save network for the whole energy supply of western Europe and to send the energy via different routes to any destination where it is actually needed. Far more than the simply tail feeding interconnector Viking is talking about.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy