Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

I see that Ian Marchant,the boss of Scottish & Southern, the company which wants to build the windfarm was put in charge of the Scottish Government's 2020 Delivery Group a couple of weeks ago. Their remit is to help ensure that the Government achieve their commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Scotland by 42% by 2020.

So I guess thats it then ..... fait accompli.

The fox has taken over the henhouse.

The deal has probably already been done.

Goodbye Shetland. Hello windfarm.

Does anyone know how the Pelamis wave farm off the coast of Portugal is coming along? I sailed past there this autumn after having got really excited to see the huge sea snakes and there was.......nothing! Only a few cardinal markers showing where it had been, It turned out it had been taken ashore to have problems with internal bearings fixed and whilst ashore some financial problems arose during the 'crash'. Has it/will it be redeployed? Will it be the same models used to the West of Shetland?

On another note we saw thousands of windmills up and down the coast of Spain, (not so much Portugal) and now we are sitting in a marina in Spain underneath a seriously huge solar panel.

Does anyone know how the Pelamis wave farm off the coast of Portugal is coming along? ...

The project came to an end due to Babcock & Browns financial problems. The divices are still down in Portugal waiting for a new investor.

Sounds like a great opportunity for the Charitable Trust to offload some more of Shetland’s millions – which of wir councillors would you like to see on the board of Pelamis ?

Here's a thought

Maybe Copenhagen was a scam just like the CO2 scam.

Delegates arrive and the first thing that happens is that this is very conveniently leaked.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/envi.....anish-text

Developing countries realise that they have been “ stitched up†by those with a vested interest i.e. rich nations, financiers, bankers, multinational companies etc. They cannot walk away. They have to save face so they debate and argue for two weeks hoping to rescue something from the shambles. A “white knight†arrives at the last moment, stays longer than expected, and well, sort off saves the day. An agreement is reached, toothless as it is, but at least world leaders can go back to their peoples and con them some more and say that it is at least a beginning. I have heard this said quite a few times in the past 24 hours. A beginning ! This nonsense has been going on for over 20 years. How many beginnings do we need?

Quite a lot I suspect as the elite i.e. those with vested interests keep their “CO2 is dangerous scam†going and have gullible people running around like “headless chickens†thinking that the “sky is fallingâ€. Why? Simple. They want to distract us from what is really going on. The wholesale pollution of the land, rivers and seas with chemicals which are by-products of their activities and the constant pressures on us to consume more so that they can produce more and add to their wealth. The problem is not up in the sky as they want us to believe but here on earth, so lets see the environmentalists concentrate on the real problem and stop fretting about CO2 which is after all one of the basic building blocks of life on earth. It is not a pollutant.

I posted this in the Climate Change & Global Warming forum and then I came across this:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/com.....iness.html

It suggests another reason as to why Copenhagen appeared to fail but has probably succeeded and it has nothing to do with global warming or climate change as they prefer to call it now. Its about money. Just as this monstrosity of a windfarm which is proposed for central Shetland is not about helping to save the world. It too is about money.

Shetland will be a "cash cow" for banks and Scottish & Southern and looking at the SIC's recent performances in matters fiscal we would probably end up owing more than we earn.

Windfarms have their place as an alternative source of energy, but not in Shetland on the scale as proposed.

• 3 weeks later...

With all this cold weather all over the country and very little wind anywhere as can be verified by looking at http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EGPM

should we thinking about relying on wobbly wind as a major source of power? Not there when we need it most!! There wouldn't be much from wave power either. We simply cannot put too much reliance on renewables without more reliable backup.

Also why are Viking Energy getting excited about Beauly-Denny when the proposed interconnector goes to Blackhillock, a long way from Beauly. Blackhillock is more conveniently situated to make use of the East coast power line.

^^^^ Hi, PJ, hows the Total protest coming along? Or when will "sustainable" Shetland be making their "We are a bunch of hypocrites" announcement.

VE are applauding the B-D power line upgrade because it's one of the infrastructure upgrades necessary to make renewables work in Scotland. Another victory over the Nimby's.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy