Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

There is no doubt that Viking Energy’s plans have been rejected by the Shetland community and if there is any just democracy in this country then the project will be refused by the Scottish minister.

(** mod edit - comments removed **)

The money already wasted by Manson and his cohorts should have been spent within the community it belongs to – for example the same amount of money if properly spent could have gone a long way to eliminating fuel poverty.

It shows that part of the Shetland community may not want the Wind Farm, not the.

The scheme, on the whole may be judged as what the country needs.

All through ages, sacrifices have been made. The Gov my pull the plug altogether yet, as cost cutting.

If you think there has been any criminal activity, have you made a complaint to the authorities.

Companies spend millions on PR, whats new there?

Fuel poverty, how would that be eased.

That would be unfair on those who do not make a profit from fuel use.

I would rather it went to social projects.

Mr Manson a current SIC councillor commented in the Shetland News website

“The fact of a march in Shetland is quite impressive, but it is a well trodden path. They claim they have a membership of 700 odd, and that means that only half of them felt the need to turn out.

“Their membership in the first place amounts to just three and a half per cent of the population.â€

((yawn))

Come on Mr Manson, get in touch with reality :evil:

Think he should start worrying about his seat in the Council (along with quite a few others) :roll:

^^^ + Clooty Cap get real.

It was not a 50/50 split.

There are probably just as many of us who are anti giant wind farm, who do not protest or write against the project as do, therefore to use your method of calculation the ECU figures could be extrapolated as being twice as many against the VE project as shown. is that 142% against?

My maths must be as bad as yours! LOL

Good for all those who marched in protest, in this poor weather, demonstrating our democratic right. Lets hope the right people are listening.

Thinking too about protesters fighting their causes in Bahrain, Lybia, Egypt.

What wasn't a 50/50 split?

I think you've missed my point somewhat, i don't doubt that there are twice as many against the windfarm who haven't written to the ECU to object to the windfarm but the point i made is that had the supporters of the windfarm contacted the ECU with the same level of urgency and passion that the objectors already have then i would expect it to be a lot nearer a 50/50 split than the current figures show.

The fact that the proposed windfarm has so far got approval from the powers that be means that those in favour of the project are far less likely to feel the need to contact the ECU backing the development or organise a march to show our support. The most recent ST poll suggests a pretty even 3 way split between those for, those againsts and the not sures, this would tend to imply that should all those for and all those against contact the ECU then there wouldn't be as large a gap in percentage between those in favour and those against as the current ratios suggest. Trust me there's nothing wrong with my maths but your interpretation of them needs some serious work.

Why would our councillors say anything else but support is the larger!

They all have there hands out, to grab as much proposed cash as they can.

If it makes a loss the trust takes the can. No mortgage on houses etc.

They will be in there partners name. anway

I can see them all going to the town hall in Rolls-Royce.

No more Taxis for them.

And at no risk to them selves No wonder they all voted for the thing.

And some being directors of VE.

You can’t see them for all the moths flying out of there wallets.

I will never trust anything they say or denial from any of them ever again.

its not 50/50 its slighly 33 for and against with the others needing to make up there mind. this is a fact from a 10% of the shetland population. neither side has won the arguement. i noticed pj at the front with his daughter and all i can say is good for them. however you have not got overwelming popular support your just noisier than us pros.

I wonder why the Shetland News is making so much of the 'Former Councilor' support. Are these folk thinkig of trying a come back at the next elections? Or is it just normal to refer to folk as 'former ' ?

Like : So much media seem to think that to add legitamcy to their raport, it is needed to state, age and occupation as well as name.

its not 50/50 its slighly 33 for and against with the others needing to make up there mind.

Maybe i'm not being obvious enough as to what the 50/50 i'm talking about is refering to. The ST poll shows roughly 1 third support, 1 third against and 1 third undecided. If the 1 third for and 1 third against were to contact ECU with their preference and the 1 third undecided do nothing while they make their minds up then of the people who have registered an opinion with the ECU the split would be nearly 50/50.

If's , buts and maybe's.

The time has come and gone for people to write to the ECU.

MORE people oppose than support the windfarm according to the ECU figures.

The ST poll is a thing of the past.

Why are the supporters so desperate to cling on to it????

its more representative than the letters.

mainly because we could not be bothered writing as in all campaigns your more motivated than us. yes you got more letters in big deal.

however 15% of them were not shetlanders. if you think the scottish goverment really give a stuff what you think then your mistaken.

the difference between us and the western isles is that the goverment needs to keep them sweet it does not need to bother with us.

tavish has left it very late to want a referendum on the subject.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy