Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

No probs SP:).

It's not just the financial gamble that fills me with dread but the utter destruction of basically half the mainland.

I don't think the amount of peat that might need to be dug out can ever be calculated because nobody knows how deep some swathes of it are.

The truth is, Shetland has been jabbed into a corner and we can either clutch at straws like VE and Pelamis or we can come out fighting and take back what's ours(oil, gas and fishing).

The idea of renewable power is good, sadly folk do not want to see it in their yard, there have been many campaigns here, there are also many HUGE turbines, search Google for DewLay Cheese. They put theirs in to run the factory. There is another guy here wants to put one in to power his 2 ground source heat pumps he is installing, each one uses 1kW.

What I do not agree with and will oppose is installations put in just to make money off the FIT. There is no benefit to the community. As mentioned already, the FIT is paid from your electricity bill, it will continue to do so for many years. The GOV have worked out that they will have to top up the money for FIT or add more to utilities bills. The way now companies are exploiting this, which initially I thought was a good idea until the costs of installation and the manufacture and supply has fallen. As with solar power, it has gone from encouraging folk to look at alternatives to a cut throat business. Grants should be given to encourage this, not a fee for who knows how many years. There will always be the worry that the FITs may be removed and the house holder be left to pay the balance.

As far as Viking is concerned, the motives, or some are good, a benefit in terms of cash flowing to the islands, which every community needs. Luckily, our council has not got involved with such projects in the same manner, perhaps the councils here have a better grip on things, who knows.

Wave power is still being trialed and there are many limitations with that. The cost of installing turbines out at sea can be far too much to get investors on board. What I noticed here, is it took me a while to get a handle on the wants and needs of the communities I have worked in, all have taken many years to get a balanced view.

Continually reporting councillors to the Standards committee on the hope they might find something costs. As does getting this project on the books or dismissed. The refusal of the Standards Committee to act against the councillors shows that they are not doing anything wrong. In their eyes and according to SIC constitution. Someone even stood in the last GOV elections against the project, and failed to get elected.

So, unless the project fails or falls at the Planning stages, there could be a chance it may be built, despite protest.

Will you get the money back? Probably not.

So, in principle the Viking project is a good one, but sadly has appeared to be mismanaged.

The report itself is not so much a look at wind energy pricing and actually a fairly interesting overview of energy supply options and problems to overcome in all the different generation options - if definitely starting off pro-nuclear and not looking at too much detail at any of the difficulties that has....

http://www.adamsmith.org/sites/default/files/research/files/renewableenergy2011.pdf

One thing that seemed to be a bit lacking, for something that should examine decisions over 25-75 year time-scales, is more detail on how changing prices of different resources in the long term would affect the best choice though. The different impacts of low / medium / high increase in oil prices on the energy sector would have been interesting to compare for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Ofgem plan could hinder isles renewables

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/2928-ofgem-plan-could-hinder-isles-renewables.html

A PROPOSAL to maintain high transmission charges in the Scottish islands compared to the rest of Scotland could discourage renewable energy companies from coming to Shetland.

On Tuesday energy regulator Ofgem published its proposals to change the way it charges power companies for transmitting electricity to take account of the growth in renewables.

However their preferred approach appears to discriminate against the Scottish islands in favour of the north of Scotland.

The final decision on how much to charge for the use of exporting electricity from Shetland is a key factor for the proposed Viking Energy wind farm and other renewable developments in the isles.

• 3 weeks later...

The wind turbines that can’t cope… with the WIND! Three more are blown to pieces in gales that swept across Britain

15ft-long turbine blades flew off three structures in 112mph winds

Concerned villagers fear someone could have been killed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2083149/Wind-turbines-cope-UK-weather-3-blown-pieces.html

those are smal domestic turbines. lots of them were not built to cope with very strong winds maily cheap ones. the ones that viking will build will be designed to cope with our wind speeds. its ike saying all houses are unsafe because a garden shed blew down in glasgow.

Now, honestly, the Daily Fail reports should always be taken with a grain or two of salt. From the same article.

Witnesses said the blades of the £2million turbine were locked at the time, because the National Grid would have been unable to cope with a sudden power surge.

Can you smell it?

I wonder what they did not print.

those are smal domestic turbines. lots of them were not built to cope with very strong winds maily cheap ones. the ones that viking will build will be designed to cope with our wind speeds. its ike saying all houses are unsafe because a garden shed blew down in glasgow.

First a garden shed, then a garage, then a house, before you know it a whole block of flats.

On a really windy day, the wid turbines could get up to 30,000 RPM !! Then all the blades will fly off and rain down on nearby villages killing EVERYONE !

Body parts everywhere, blood running down the roads.

How much worse can it get?

I will let you know once I catch up with my imagination.

sorry but I would not trust viking to make a sand castle never mind the involment of councillors who are all in it to fill there own back accounts

• 4 weeks later...
  • admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy