Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

Good grief, then I seriously hope you are not old enough to vote! :shock:

How horribly arrogant.

I'm annoyed, I admit it. Horribly arrogant? Well, if I'm arrogant by using my brain cells then fine, I'm arrogant and proud of it.

Yes, I've just done an "AT" and displayed disdain at someone else's opinion. Yes, you have a right to your opinion. However, the fact remains that this was a totally undemocratic decision.

As another poster pointed out, we could be living in a communist state with no say - perish the thought that democracy was actually exercised and everyone in Shetland of and above voting age actually had the opportunity to have their say on this matter - perhaps then, depending on the outcome, I would feel differently but I don't.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the majority of recent opinion polls I saw were noticeably in favour of them. Whilst a formalised vote on the issue would be nice it sets quite a precedence and I'm not sure it's workable for every issue local government encounter.

no stirrer they are happy with what goes on at sullom. i wonder how safe this new gas plant is. total seem to be taking there time to fix the leaking well. a bit diffrent from the gulf.

luckly if a turbine goes wrong not much happens.

It is so safe and reliable that the company are not coming with their begging bowl for us mere pleps to fund it.

When a turbine goes wrong, they have the habit of damaging those in the same cluster (Usually around five in number). When this happens, as did with the new one down in Rye, Sussex, they had to shut down the entire windfarm. Hardly much happening, eh, Paulb?

When faults occur, there is no back-up system in place - you are, quite simply, screwed.

You are talking complete rubbish.

They are sited so that if one were to fall over it dos not fall on another.

The output of this wind farm at full throttle is many times the requirement of Shetland.

If no wind, Shetland could be fed back from the cable, using wind power from another area of Scotland.

No wind at all, well we will still have a smokey old power station to use.

Then I suggest you go and look at the data concerning other wind farms - I never said that when they fall over that they fall on top of the other. What has happened to other windfarms in the past is that they blow the circuitry and cause damage to those in the same cluster, resulting in the entire windfarm being closed down to rectify/re-build the circuitry.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the majority of recent opinion polls I saw were noticeably in favour of them. Whilst a formalised vote on the issue would be nice it sets quite a precedence and I'm not sure it's workable for every issue local government encounter.

Shetland Times:-

"Opinion on the windfarm in Shetland has been split. A poll carried out by The Shetland Times in December 2010 prior to councillors voting to approve the project found 36 per cent in favour, 33 per cent opposed and 31 per cent undecided. Reaction to the government’s announcement was equally mixed."

Not everyone in Shetland was asked. Even Clueless thought it would go to a public enquiry. A poll does not set a precedent. What would be a better indication on the public's feelings would be how people vote at the forthcoming local election as this would indicate more accurately (dependent upon the turnout, etc.) of having the public's backing for or against.

Actually, unlinked student, you don't speak for me on this. I also think that your arrogant tone, to someone opposing your view, was unwelcome and unnecessary. We are all entitled to our views on this and your intelligence could easily also be questioned by others disagreeing with you but that gets us nowhere.

I am in favour of the windfarms as the way forward but would certainly prefer to have them offshore where we could also capture the wave power as well. However, with no offshore windfarms proposed then I am most definitely in the camp of the windfarm supporters this time around.

As for the percentage in favour of the project, the 31% undecided (referred to above) could easily fall on the side of those favouring it as well. You just don't know, as I don't, but I would suggest that those against it are the ones who stand up to shout the loudest otherwise where did the 36% come in favour from?

I will look out for you being in the front when the bulldozers turn up.

Actually, unlinked student, you don't speak for me on this. I also think that your arrogant tone, to someone opposing your view, was unwelcome and unnecessary. We are all entitled to our views on this and your intelligence could easily also be questioned by others disagreeing with you but that gets us nowhere.

I am in favour of the windfarms as the way forward but would certainly prefer to have them offshore where we could also capture the wave power as well. However, with no offshore windfarms proposed then I am most definitely in the camp of the windfarm supporters this time around.

As for the percentage in favour of the project, the 31% undecided (referred to above) could easily fall on the side of those favouring it as well. You just don't know, as I don't, but I would suggest that those against it are the ones who stand up to shout the loudest otherwise where did the 36% come in favour from?

Fair point re me not speaking for you and your point re arrogance; I'm not the first to be guilty of this on this forum and I can bet I won't be the last.

There have been several discussions on this thread concerning "majority" and whether or not people are in favour; if we were to be honest then perhaps we could be in agreement that we simply do not know how the undecided would vote if asked today? The debate on here re "majority" did refer to a majority being the most votes in favour but also referred to how it wasn't a true majority if those against and undecided were greater in number than those in favour.

As for looking out for me being in the front when the bulldozers turn up; whilst I wish you good health, it may well be the case that given the speed at which the SIC tend to progress matters, both you and I could well be dead before construction starts! :wink:

Quote :- Scottish ministers have said they expect local people to be given priority when it comes to employment and awarding contracts.

Standing by with my shovel, whit a joke !

Given the EU stance on freedom of movement of workers, European firms having right to tender for contracts, etc., can we take it then that the SNP and their cronies will be passing legislation to ensure the workforce will be local? Nope? Thought as much.

http://m.stv.tv/news/scotland/north/302589-ministers-approve-one-of-scotlands-biggest-wind-farms/

Ministers have given the go-ahead to developers to build Scotland's third biggest wind farm.

The controversial Viking wind farm on Shetland will provide enough power for 175,000 homes and is expected to bring around £30m into the local economy.

It means the 370MW development will power more than 16 times the number of households in Shetland.

Developers applied for permission for 127 turbines but Ministers reduced the number to 103, keeping part of the site clear because of fears of the impact on Scatsta Airport flight instruments.

The project is expected to support around 140 jobs during the five years of construction, and a further 34 operational posts afterwards.

The controversial plans have prompted anger from some people, worried about the impact on the local environment. Hundreds of islanders marched in protest to the plans in February last year.

Building the wind farm will also allow construction of an interconnector for Shetland to export electricity to the mainland.

Energy Minister Fergus Ewing said: "This wind farm will bring enormous benefits to the people of Shetland, generating more than £30m annual income for the entire Shetland community. Around £20m of that will go directly to the Shetland Charitable Trust.

"The development will create jobs and bring income, and makes the case for an interconnector to connect Shetland for the first time to the National Grid."

Councillor Bill Manson, chairman of Viking Energy Partnership, said: "We are pleased that Ministers have approved our application for what is likely to be the most productive wind farm in the world.

"This is good news for Shetland, good news for Scotland and good news for the fight against climate change. The associated grid connection will unlock future renewable projects including marine energy and help us generate a whole new sustainable industry in Shetland.

"At the same time, we appreciate that not everybody will be happy about this decision and we want to reassure those people who opposed the application that we will continue to endeavour to minimise or mitigate any impacts."

34 jobs? Wow, and Wishart didn't have that figure to hand this morning. Yep, that really is a HUGE number of jobs being created in the long term, isn't it?

How nice to see the STV doing a 'fair' bit of reporting. :shock:

Well the interconnector will surely be good for the various wave projects that hopefully will happen along with tidal and smaller wind projects. What I want to see now is the council ensuring that Viking Energy cause as little disruption as possible when building their project and that they are tied into clearing up both post construction mess and removing all the equipment and restoring the site when it is no longer any use.

A lot of people have bemoaned the fact that Viking Energy did not hold a referendum for their controversial project. Many claim that the only reason they did not was their fear of losing. But surely the onus is on those who are opposing the project? Surely it is up to them to organise such a vote if they truly believe that the majority of the population would vote “Noâ€.

There have been many vocal opponents to the proposed wind farm, who have taken to the pages of local publications time and time again to protest against it. The organisation Sustainable Shetland has hundreds of members. My question is this – could those opposed to the Viking Energy wind farm not have organised a referendum? Could they not have raised all the funds required to put this to the vote? Of course those behind the project wouldn’t want to take this on, that is common sense. Why on earth would they ask the people of Shetland the question if there was even the slightest chance that the vote would go against them? I really do believe that the people who were against this from the start had plenty of time to sort out a referendum, but they never went down this route. Various explanations will no doubt be given as to why this was never done, but surely none of these problems were insurmountable? I look forward to hearing back from those in the know.

I should point out that I am writing this post from a neutral point of view. I just would honestly like to know why the “No†camp didn’t sort this out.

Fair point re me not speaking for you and your point re arrogance; I'm not the first to be guilty of this on this forum and I can bet I won't be the last.

There have been several discussions on this thread concerning "majority" and whether or not people are in favour; if we were to be honest then perhaps we could be in agreement that we simply do not know how the undecided would vote if asked today? The debate on here re "majority" did refer to a majority being the most votes in favour but also referred to how it wasn't a true majority if those against and undecided were greater in number than those in favour.

As for looking out for me being in the front when the bulldozers turn up; whilst I wish you good health, it may well be the case that given the speed at which the SIC tend to progress matters, both you and I could well be dead before construction starts! :wink:

Would just like to clarify I said a majority of polls showed a favouring of the farms, rather than an actual majority in any given vote.

I'm aware they never quite reached 50+% given the consistently high number of undecideds.

No point in going on about it, there should of been a proper referendum, but VE were obviously worried about the outcome so one didn't go ahead.

Shetland democracy in action again, this Island sucks at the moment.

Can you find any incidents of people actually being given a formalised vote on an issue like this? I really don't think it's "Shetland democracy" failing, it's just the way decisions are made in the whole of Britain, and the Western world frankly.

I agree in an ideal scenario we'd all have a say but for now we just have to rely on our MPs to represent our interests.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy