Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

If someone were not in favour of the SCT Trustees voting to invest another £6.3 million in the VE project, would it do any good to go and stand outside the Town Hall on Monday before they arrive for the meeting, with a placard? Is anyone else going?

Does anyone know for definite what time the meeting is due to start - I heard 10.00am but I haven't seen it written anywhere?

If someone were not in favour of the SCT Trustees voting to invest another £6.3 million in the VE project, would it do any good to go and stand outside the Town Hall on Monday before they arrive for the meeting, with a placard? Is anyone else going?

Does anyone know for definite what time the meeting is due to start - I heard 10.00am but I haven't seen it written anywhere?

http://www.shetlandcharitabletrust.co.uk/assets/files/agendas/Agenda%20Papers%2016%20April%202012.pdf ... confirms 10am start. You wouldn't be alone and what's more, you can go in and listen/slow hand clap - they might throw you out though. :wink:

yes i would be quite happy to have one near my house. if they want to build one near me or on my croft then thats fine.

Do you mean one of the big 350-400kw ones like VE propose?

Are there any areas in Shetland you think wouldn't be suitable for large scale wind turbines, Paul?

GWPF, that's Nigel Lawsons Climate change denier organisation, they're lying to you, that's what the oil industry pays them to do. Ignore it.

And even if what they quote in that post is true, Scotland's policy is devolved, and there is this quote:

“Far from wanting thousands more, actually for most of the wind we need . . . they are either built, being developed, or in planning. The notion that there’s some spectre of a new wave of wind [farms] is somewhat exaggerated,†he said.

I think the "or in planning" bit covers VE.

^ quote from the above :-

too close to houses, or in an area of outstanding natural beauty.â€

That's it then end of story.... :D

Wish it was but the press report does refer to the fact that this is after those already planned for. How this affects the interconnector could be interesting though.

But we're not saving, are we? We're paying for the subsidies via our lekky bills. ROCs have already dropped their subsidies so despite being guaranteed for 15 years, the actual amounts are NOT (Edit: oops, missed out 'not') guaranteed. Are you suggesting that we'll have the same Government for the next 25 years and that they won't bring in legislation to change these subsidies?

Unlinked, this article is a couple of years old, but it shows that the extra you pay for lekky to provide green subsidies is completely dwarfed by the changes caused by fluctuating fossil fuel prices:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2009/jul/15/george-monbiot-low-carbon-transition?INTCMP=SRCH

yes i would be quite happy to have one near my house. if they want to build one near me or on my croft then thats fine.

Do you mean one of the big 350-400kw ones like VE propose?

Are there any areas in Shetland you think wouldn't be suitable for large scale wind turbines, Paul?

well obviously there has to be a buffer but 500m-1km i would be happy with. yes there are areas that it would be wrong to build one but the areas proposed are not ones. who knows if the houses near it devalue i may move.

people with a good view of sullom have not found there house prices affected so i don't seeing it happening with the turbines.

im surprised the folks in lerwick are not complaing about the two rthat are going to be built there.

why are people even remotly bothered who owns the web site who cares its of no importance.

Thanks for the info, unlinked.

I noticed in the agenda that there was reference to the updates given to the Trustees - Appendix A. There is not mention of VE's project co-ordinator, or his being named - Cllr Allan Wishart - being involved in the updates - what is he doing for that large salary?

Any ideas?

Thanks for the info, unlinked.

I noticed in the agenda that there was reference to the updates given to the Trustees - Appendix A. There is not mention of VE's project co-ordinator, or his being named - Cllr Allan Wishart - being involved in the updates - what is he doing for that large salary?

Any ideas?

I've no idea, keetibairdie, but he obviously can't be using all of his brain cells because if he had been doing so, he would have forked out less than a couple of hundred quid at the very most for a domain name. He would also have realised it is against a 2006 Act re company law (I've got the correct Act and the relevant clauses on my other computer) that a company has to put their company registration number, etc., on their website. Shetland Aerogenerators have not done this, nor have ANY of the other companies on www.vikingenergy.co.uk. Now whether Companies House will simply give them a slap on the wrist or not I don't know but what's the point of having a law if they don't enforce it?

Further company legislation dictates that you cannot deceive and also refers to similarities in names of companies. Ghostie has also referred on the other thread to the latest SCT agenda notes referring to Viking Energy Shetland LLP and how in the same paragraph, they refer to Viking Energy Limited and Viking Energy, which is weird if Viking Energy Shetland LLP has superceded Viking Energy Limited.

SSE Energy is listed as dormant at Companies House, albeit I hasten to add that accounts do not have to be submitted until within a certain timescale and the last lot submitted were some time ago. Therefore, we don't know if they have contributed anything.

I have not followed the windfarm fiasco from Day 1 and I'm rather late coming to grips with it all but there would appear, on the surface, to be some anomalies. I have a sneaky feeling that whilst the 'Shetland side' owns 50%, it is the 'Shetland side' that is funding the build - until, of course, more accounts are registered at Companies House for SSE and the company is no longer 'dormant' and we can see just how much SSE have contributed.

And as for the interconnector - again, this is a subsidiary of SSE IF it gets built. Now there is nothing to stop them from charging the windfarm as much as they want to use the interconnector, thus pushing up the market price. (EDit: It is a subsidiary that is building the interconnector - who knows what the wording within that Agreement is). SSE are building other windfarms in the UK. There is also the recent announcement that the world's largest offshore windfarm is being built off the coast of the South of England.

Incidentally, the fund managers utilised by the SCT only rank at No. 8 in the top ten in the UK - perhaps a change in fund managers would be a way forward to generate more income?

Viking Partnership is NOT listed at Companies House.

Edit: Turns out some are registered in Scotland but nevertheless, spoke to Companies House this morning and they will investigate. Granted, it may mean they only get asked to put all of the companies' registration details on the website but at least then, we'll know, but it depends on what stance they take regarding Shetland Aerogenerators Limited acting on behalf of other companies.

I have not followed the windfarm fiasco from Day 1 and I'm rather late coming to grips with it all but there would appear, on the surface, to be some anomalies. I have a sneaky feeling that whilst the 'Shetland side' owns 50%, it is the 'Shetland side' that is funding the build - until, of course, more accounts are registered at Companies House for SSE and the company is no longer 'dormant' and we can see just how much SSE have contributed.

stoness. you really have to much time on your hands.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy