Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

It could be quite a sizeable chunk of cash. The community levy (for want of a better description) on an estate of new houses is £6,000 per house (3 bed).

It would be up for discussion, but they will need access to places, so improved roads and junctions. I have not had experience with this type of development, but I hope the contribution would be large.

^ On a project this size, the contributions (in whatever form) towards infrastructure, economy (by way of jobs, materials and compensation etc) are inevitable whomever the backers ultimately are.

It is whether or not the CT's investment will still be making a good return ten years after the project is finished that matters, and that, nobody can be sure of.

Just to give an indication of what could be paid by SSE without the SCT involved, have a look at Clyde Windfarm:-

http://www.sse.com/Clyde/ProjectInformation/

Note also the jobs; they employed more people.

"£2,000 per MW per year will be provided by SSE Renewables to the Clyde Wind Farm Fund. Once the Wind Farm is fully operational the fund will be approximately worth £700,000 per annum. Over 25 years the the fund is estimated to be worth over £17 million."

So I know it isn't the same amount but SCT would continue to get income from its existing portfolio, currently at £10 million approximately per annum.

That could be said about any project.

Exactly.

At the end of the day, it may be big, it may be grabbing the headlines, but this is just another project.

Indeed, it could be argued that even if there was no direct return to the CT from an ongoing agreement as partners, they should invest for the sake of the return to the economy of Shetland in general.

So some of us thinks it's going to be a piece of cake, no other than running a grain of concrete for a shed foundation. Quote re first phase of Whitelee on a nice flat plateau :-

With 2.5 million cu m of rock to shift, that translates into a big lump of money. From the client’s perspective, a fixed-price contract is the way to go but from a contracting point of view, there is no doubt it’s a high-risk project, especially with the ground conditions.â€

Plenty facts and figures here :- http://www.cnplus.co.uk/home/army-of-workers-opens-up-whitelee-wind-farm/1913683.article

I think you may well need these 80 dump trucks yet Peat but there again maybe I am just scaremongering !

Afterthought.... I wonder how many of our councillors would be able to envisage what a cubic metre of rock or concrete looks like. :shock:

Latest news: Wind farm cancelled.

Shetland reserves will now continue to dwindle to zero

Austerity measures to be enhanced

Wave and tidal projects to be dropped

Orkney to absorb Shetland's science graduates

SIC try to rejuvenate the fishing industry

Mareel may be mothballed

Sustainable Shetland celebrates. Others not so sure

Old people not bothered about the future

Young people (with a future) plan to leave

The above is one of our possible futures. Talking about democracy, ask those under 25 if this is what they want.

I assume that all energy produced would be sold on the wholesale day ahead market since SSE announced that earlier in the year. I got a price of roughly £40 per MWh from:

http://citywire.co.uk/money/chart-of-the-day-wholesale-energy-prices-fall-but-our-bills-still-rise/a556006

Using that price and a capacity factor of 0.5 the revenue for a year would be in the region of £75million without any ROC's, if my sums are right. Not too shabby.

Edit: Just checked the ROC data on the decc website, apparently onshore wind over 5MW might receive between 1 and 0.8 ROC's per MWh in the future. At a current price of roughly £40 again from:

http://www.eroc.co.uk/trackrecord.htm

That means roughly another £60mill-£75mill per year revenue.

Just to give an indication of what could be paid by SSE without the SCT involved, have a look at Clyde Windfarm:-

http://www.sse.com/Clyde/ProjectInformation/

Note also the jobs; they employed more people.

"£2,000 per MW per year will be provided by SSE Renewables to the Clyde Wind Farm Fund. Once the Wind Farm is fully operational the fund will be approximately worth £700,000 per annum. Over 25 years the the fund is estimated to be worth over £17 million."

So I know it isn't the same amount but SCT would continue to get income from its existing portfolio, currently at £10 million approximately per annum.

£17 million over 25 years for the Clyde windfarm.

Lets say, for the sake of argument that, VE in twice as efficient so would yield £34 million over the 25 years.

That's a far cry from the projected £900 million, if we actually own a share.

Latest news: Wind farm cancelled.

Shetland reserves will now continue to dwindle to zero

Austerity measures to be enhanced

Wave and tidal projects to be dropped

Orkney to absorb Shetland's science graduates

SIC try to rejuvenate the fishing industry

Mareel may be mothballed

Sustainable Shetland celebrates. Others not so sure

Old people not bothered about the future

Young people (with a future) plan to leave

The above is one of our possible futures. Talking about democracy, ask those under 25 if this is what they want.

That's what we're looking at if "sustainable" Shetland get their way alright. :cry:

Can anyone explain the VE advert on page 22 of the Shetland Times?

It makes it sound as if there is £30 million estimated income ON TOP of the £20 million to the Charitable Trust. Have I missed something?

Haven't seen the Times yet. By the sounds of things it would have saved me the bother of looking at prices. Anybody care to give a brief summary?

Under Viking Details:

£20 million estimated income to Shetland Charitable Trust each year.

£5 million estimated rental income to local crofter and landowners each year.

£1.8 million estimated community benefit.

£30 million estimated total direct income for Shetland each year.

^ Ah but AT, you seem to be forgetting that the SCT will not have a portfolio of shares if VE goes ahead - how else do you think they gonna raise the downpayment, let alone pay, £330 MILLION odd as their share of the £600 MILLION?

Yes, what Clyde Windfarm community fund gets is a lot less but the community there didn't have such a greedy, gormless bunch of idiots thinking they could beat the big corporate fat cats at their own game. Why are SSE laughing? Well, basically, they probably never did want the community onboard and at least they've been saved a few million and hoodwinked their way through the Planning process.

Anyone else notice that SSE's share price is on the slide again?

BTW, is their any truthin the rumour that AT has already submitted his application to be the Manager of the VE Windfarm Visitor Centre when it opens? Has anyone told him that we'll probably be down to two ferries a week as no beggar will want to visit, let alone any tourists if this monster of a windfarm goes ahead?

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy