Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

What do the Valuers state the value of VE would be IF the interconnector doesn't get the go ahead? I'm sure that as professionals they would have included that somewhere within their Report. Shame, we can't see the cons though, can we?

Not all windfarms actually get built just because they have got the go ahead re Planning. Sometimes once they have a Geologist on-site, they realise that it just isn't going to be feasible.

As for carbon payback figures, even the Government's own watchdog doesn't believe Viking's figures!

:lik:

The old charity regulator may be an ass most days of the week, but he has his uses occasionally, it seems.

SHETLAND Charitable Trust had to cancel an urgently arranged special meeting for Monday after an intervention from the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR).

*Much snipz*....

“In light of a direction received from OSCR late Friday afternoon, which stated that the trust must not make a binding decision in relation to any investment in the Viking Energy project, beyond the £3.42 million previously invested, before 5 May 2012, and subsequent legal advice, they have decided to withdraw this request.

It would have been beyond any sort of common sense for the charitable trust to take that sort of decision this close to an election regardless of which way the decision went. I just hope the new lot take a good look at the objections to spending Shetland's money on this project while there are so many real concerns about the project. And I should add that I am not against the wind farm if it can be proved that it is a sensible thing to do.

This situation with VE and the Charitable Trust is astounding.

The utter desperation shown by them shows their total contempt for the people of Shetland and the "rule of law". If VE/The Charitable Trust had acted honourably from the start and, for example, held a referendum which showed a majority in favour of the windfarm I would have accepted that.

I have no time for Scotland/OSCR interfering in Shetland's affairs but the order by OSCR to stop Monday's meeting is about as big a shot across the bow as you can get.

Hooray!

The SCT meeting set for Monday is cancelled. But why could all the councillors/trustees not have seen as OSCR has, that such a meeting to discuss further investment in VE, at this time, is totall unacceptable.

This whole thing stinks.

:lik:

Absolutely keetie, this whole thing is a bloody disgrace. Those 7 who called the meeting should hang their heads in shame. I was/am(not sure anymore) a supporter of the wind farm but the whole way VE/SCT especially the SCT is pathetic, I couldn't believe my eyes when that press report came out about organising that meeting, total disbelief at their disregard for the people of Shetland. It makes me wonder what alse they've got up to over the years.

Glad to see Shetland well represented here :-

http://www.tw312.org.uk/?p=2672

eh - the article says 300 people from across Scotland demonstrated.

sounds like a mass movement then. er...er...er

I was at the antiwar demonstrations in Glasgow and Edinburgh in 2003. In Glasgow the front of the demonstration was at the SECC and the back of it still hadn't left the Green. In Edinburgh the people filled the whole width of Princes Street - both carriageways and the pavements and the whole length of the street at least twice. THAT is real anger about an issue. No the faux outrage of a few over twartree windmills.

If VE/The Charitable Trust had acted honourably from the start and, for example, held a referendum which showed a majority in favour of the windfarm I would have accepted that. .

There's a first!

I (almost) agree with Ugl.

A referendum would have settled the issue and think would indeed have shown that the majority of folk are in favour of the windfarm, 70:30 locally as nationally.

A public enquiry would I suspect also have found in favour, but would have wasted years and achieved little other than to enrich lawyers as usual.

Apparently you can make oil from peat and you also get gas as a by product .Perhaps this could be an alterative to windmills just imagine how many millions of tons is lying in the lang kambs alone.

Alas Peat is 80-90% water. Still a lot of water in air dried peats. Trust a Yell man on this subject.

Suppose you could use the windmills to dry it though!

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy