Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

Now this I have a problem with.....

Promote Shetland, "the council agency set up to attract visitors, new islanders and inward investment to the isles, have produced a 20 page energy magazine due to be distributed at the All Energy conference, in Aberdeen."

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/newsbites/4173-power-from-the-north.html

It does not sit well with me, and I guess perhaps those in the tourist industry who they are supposed to represent.

Now this I have a problem with.....

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/newsbites/4173-power-from-the-north.html

It does not sit well with me, and I guess perhaps those in the tourist industry who they are supposed to represent.

It's not like they're exceeding their remit. Shetland is already an energy exporter through oil and gas, and shortly will be through wind, wave and tidal. Tourism is only part of their work.

It reads to me that the interconector can move forward because of the approval of the wind farm, as we know, no wind farm no connector.

There is little reason the interconnector will not be built.

Without the interconnector, you will not get the investment in other renewables.

There is a down side to this, a relative has told me the decommissioning that has already started has affected the price of their house. There will be many other downsides.

Shetland does need to get a wiggle on with something to bring more sustainability to it. Are there any other such plans in print and being advertised?

Let us know what the out come of your complaint is though won't you.

the interconnector was granted permission. the grid are planning its connection. what lies are you planning on reporting.

When?

The converter station has only got outline permission which in itself is not full permission.

Not only that, OFGEM, as I've stated loads of times, have stated they have no plans for an interconnector and you also need a licence - are you seriously telling me that OFGEM have suddenly given the go ahead and have granted a licence?

i suggest you look at the costs of pulling out you will find that the natiional grid are planning to connect it. well thats true ofgem dont plan on an interconnector they are not building it. they would only be intrested once it joins the grid.

s shetland are not even arguing this point. very simply because shetland needs the interconnector or we miss out on all renewables.

What we must not forget is that this is not a project which will benefit most Shetlanders. Yes, the land owners, the partners in the project, and a few hangers-on will benefit financially, but this is not a Shetland-friendly scheme.

Besides ruining our environment, we will not benefit one ohm from this, our fuel bills will rise year on year, up by 25% I read, to fund wind power.

We won't have any concessions on costs, no help with our escalating fuel bills, rising food prices and so on.

i suggest you look at the costs of pulling out you will find that the natiional grid are planning to connect it. well thats true ofgem dont plan on an interconnector they are not building it. they would only be intrested once it joins the grid.

s shetland are not even arguing this point. very simply because shetland needs the interconnector or we miss out on all renewables.

Oh really? So you know what has been discussed at Sustainable Shetland meetings? I wasn't aware you'd been to any, Paulb. Even at the Ness consultation meeting, SS members put forward arguments against the interconnector; therefore, I beg to differ re SS not even arguing the point.

Whilst SSE state on their website they are developing proposals, the National Grid makes no mention of Shetland apart from transmission charges. The application process page does state this:-

The process of making a transmission or distribution connection with National Grid is as follows:

" 1.The applicant sends the relevant completed application form (see 'Further information', below), along with supporting data to the National Grid Electricity Transmission team.

2.We check the form and when we are happy all the information has been correctly completed we have 90 days within which to develop the agreement offer for the applicant, in conjunction with the applicable transmission owner(s) and distribution network operator(s).

3.When the offer is prepared we send the offer to the applicant who then has another 90 day period to review it.

4.We will contact the applicant to discuss the offer and arrange a post-offer meeting if required.

Within the 90 day review period the offer would usually be signed by the applicant however if the terms are not acceptable the offer can be referred to OFGEM for their review and determination.

If the agreement isn't signed and returned during the 90 day review period, the offer will expire."

It is OFGEM who decide if they will allow it to be connected to the National Grid and yet OFGEM have already indicated, they do not see Shetland being connected to the National Grid.

Full planning permission for the converter station could be refused.

In essence, my comment concerning Promote Shetland's blurb stands - one for the ASA.

do you really believe that full planning will be refused. do you still believe in faries.

of course this project will benifit shetland. the best part of abillion quid going to the trust will benifit shetland. it opens the door for sea renewables. these will generate more jobs ect ect.

i know how the connection process works unlink. were stuck in the middle of it.

do you really believe that full planning will be refused. do you still believe in faries.

Well, you appear to have a crystal ball or be able to foretell the future as to whether or not OFGEM will grant permission! I also think there is a fair chance that planning permission will be refused, given that we now have new councillors in place who may actually listen to the Planning Department, unlike their predecessors.

As we all know. Planning is part of the legal side the council will do. There are certain guidlines. One of them is not an opinion on its profitability. It will not decide on the motions of a few. There will have to be a balanced view. What you need to keep in mind too is the fallback position. Could the islands afford that. With ALL future sustainable developments that will make any money for the community they will need a connector. The otherside is the SGOV has approved the VE project. When a refusal goes to them about the connector, they would be minded to overturn that. That would incure huge costs. I cannot see any Planning Committee turning this down. Even more so if it has been approved in principle.

of course this project will benifit shetland. the best part of abillion quid going to the trust will benifit shetland. it opens the door for sea renewables. these will generate more jobs ect ect.

This is the problem I have with people who are pro VE - paulb you are talking like everything is guaranteed, nothing is guaranteed. This is a complete gamble which could leave Shetland bankrupted as much as make any money at all. VE thought they were going to get the interconnector charges reduced considerably - that has not happened.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy