Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

@ Gug - doesn't negate from the fact that those involved are still in breach of company law in the way in which they've failed to put the requisite information on the website. Nice of you to conveniently forget that.

Why has nothing been done about it?

Surely no one is withholding information from the authorities, eh?

Yes, you have made an official complaint.

Why has nothing been done, one can moan too much me thinks. Or, they have not broken anything worth the expense of following up.

As you know, those in the legal trade are reasonably well off. Well, dependant on their knowledge, skills and training.

You serve no point with the vexatious arguments, please, move on and find some sort of real issue...

Yes of course the wind is greatly affected by obsticals, but there is not many at the height of these masts, although the wind will be influenced by the ground.

Once the 130 or something like that, turbines are in location then that in it self will surely have some affect and will vary depending on the direction of the wind .

I’m sure this data is very interesting but not convinced it will really contribute an awful lot to the final plan as they will have to put these turbines on top of the hills anyway.

The efficiency will all depend on the wind speed & direction and I doubt if they will find a location up these hills that varies all that much over time.

The data can be used to ensure that the turbine is in the best place, already knowing the dynamics of the turbine, blades and column, it could have an influence on others, similar to the way geese fly. The wind can "scorch" land, perhaps the survey would prevent that, but also create an intricate map of wind flow and deflections. It could act as a benefit. I would still rather the money was spent doing this and getting it right than not doing it and having static blades. The more the protesters moan, the more it will cost to make sure that the moans are appeased, thus hitting any profit. That is why some things may not be worth (though right perhaps,) the complaint as it could have a negative impact on the overall outcome

Well yes you are probably correct,but I doubt if all this data will really influence the positioning if these turbines . It is more likly to be public opinion & opposition.

The Burradale turbines seem to find plenty of wind and I would think that up on top of any hill in Shetland would be very similar.

Yes it will vary with direction ,but will a few meters one way or the other make all that much differ on top of a hill !

One thing that puzzles me,is the need for so many anemometer masts.

Surely the wind cannot vary that much at these heights ,over an area the size of Shetland.

Is this another way of squandering money, it all has to be paid for .

More than probably it's preparation for the next phase of turbines, surely we still don't have people out there still thinking these 103 will be the be all and end all........

I have no idea, the assessment has not been completed yet.

You do not need to increase capacity, as you do not have any as yet, so there will be no telling where the power could be exported to and who will pay to connect. No one will, however invest in any other forms of power generation, especially as you hint, the connector will be the prohibiting factor.

Great if though, as Tavish wants now, an independent Shetland, with oil, guaranteeing your future for, ooh 50 years, may be 100? That is very short term, why not be the supplier of knowledge and skills (anyhow, who said anything about more turbines?) With the ones planned, there will be an opportunity, to create a skills base, a new industry that perhaps will in future bring greater wealth to Shetland and improve the longevity of its already good standing. It shows diversification, it could also revive the fishing industry, as we know it seems to be flagging if you read comments here, though there, it seems a few islanders are doing OK with it.

Is there a hill in Shetland where the wind do'es not blow.

I have no idea if all this wind turbines will be good or bad , but I do know I like everyone else would not like to be without electricity.

My main point is do we need goodness knows how many high "weather masts"simply to tell us what has already been proved at Burradale.

I see this as a waste of money, but at least it is keeping a few folk in work.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy