Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

who can tell with big business and governments. At the moment no i cant see it being built. however if they get a change in the costs then it will. it seems daft to shut a gas powered plant down.

also if were looking at costs the new power station is going to cost a 150-200 million. nothing is cheap now a days.

maybe the inter connector makes sense even without viking.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2010/03/22/sse-peterhead-closure-idUKLDE62L0OG20100322

not new news. however it does make it clear that scottish generators are charged more than english. so the argument for an fairer system does make sense.

Maybe you should ask what would happen to consumer bills if you relax the current grid connection charging regime?

You might complain if you were a generator wanting to make a profit (or a supporter of an unviable project like Viking Energy, which I am not), but isn't it fair to control the industry in order to get a better deal for consumers, particularly when the same rule book applies to all.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/2013/06/crown-estate-could-underwriting-grid-infrastructure-cost-mcarthur/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=crown-estate-could-underwriting-grid-infrastructure-cost-mcarthur

if orkney achieves this then we should as well.

ched if you think our bill will drop if all wind generation was scraped i really think your mistaken. who is going to pay for the new nuclear station which is the most expensive generation.

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/2013/06/crown-estate-could-underwriting-grid-infrastructure-cost-mcarthur/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=crown-estate-could-underwriting-grid-infrastructure-cost-mcarthur

ched if you think our bill will drop if all wind generation was scraped i really think your mistaken. who is going to pay for the new nuclear station which is the most expensive generation.

paulb, if you think that I think our bills will drop if all wind generation was scraped, then you are mistake and I really think you should pay more attention to the argument!

Where did you get that from? (I was making a comment on transmission charges!)

Anyway, why does this make it any less of a risk. It's still not viable and all this does is shift liability to the monarch and/ or the taxpayer, unless you know different.

And why would anyone, in their right mind, want to underwrite something that was not viable?

because the transmission charges will be changed. either by the uk government or the scottish one. there would be to much political hurt to the snp for it to remain the same.

What political hurt? ... a minority of the electorate (islanders) who might stop voting SNP? ...no change there then.

[edit] The myths that won't die ...

1. The Abominable Snowman

2. Nessie

3. Hollow Earth

4. Crystals

5. Elvis

6. Electronic smog

7. Telepathy

8. Fairies

9. Big cats in Britain

10. Angels

11. Viking Energy is viable

because the transmission charges will be changed. either by the uk government or the scottish one. there would be to much political hurt to the snp for it to remain the same.

governments have no power to change transmission charges - these are set by the regulator who is independent of governments.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you deal with redundant wind turbines

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-23048093

In Holland parts of towers and even large blades have been transformed into play equipment for a children's park.

The researchers described this reuse as "innovative", but added that how much decommissioned gear could be used in this way was limited.

Oh dear indeed, the saddest bit was this quote from the article.

"it was seen to hit the blade of a small wind turbine in Tarbert and was killed."

Makes you wonder if we should also campaign to stop the installation of small domestic turbines since they seem to pose such a threat to wildlife.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/7014-wind-farm-plans-receive-a-boost

Good to hear some sense coming out of Westminster re. transmission charges.

im sure someone said government would not change pricing.

come on that bird was thousands of miles off course being chased by 40 twitchers plus it was speeding. would you ban cars if it flew into one.

our turbine has been up the best part of a year and not one diced bird. are shetand birds more careful.

So back to the building of the farm it seems to have now become viable.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy