Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

im sure someone said government would not change pricing.

They did and they were right. They couldn't change the pricing so they are planning to bail out a business that is going to lose money, using taxpayers money. It's a vindication of all the people who said this was not viable all along and an insult that we will all be paying for it.

• 2 weeks later...

What a beautiful day in Aith today. Thought about going for a walk in the east hills to view nature, everything looked so lovely and peaceful, then what's this I hear and the see Viking Energy with big machines and diggers going up the hill . Oh I know they must be preparing for Natures week. So much for the walk up the hill and the peace and serenity, and they don't even wait to see the result of the judicial enquiry and no one here notified that they will be going through our land. I am very angry and I think nothing of our councillors for supporting this devastation of nature.

funny how that policy would rule viking out. really a micro generator needs according to that policy to be more bothered by the impact than viking. really seems odd that there are two rules. there is plenty of room for very small to large. just not massive ones.

• 1 month later...

Renewable electricity pace 'needs to quicken', Audit Scotland say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-24047166

The rate that green power projects are coming online needs to double to meet renewable targets, auditors have said.

Ministers want Scotland to generate an equivalent of 100% of electricity demand from renewable energy by 2020.

Audit Scotland said meeting targets would be challenging but the Scottish government does have a clear strategy.

The government said it was on course to meet interim targets but acknowledged economic conditions had seen projects progress more slowly than anticipated.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/7350-davey-sets-out-draft-island-power-subsidy

I thought about starting a new thread for this but, as it concerns VE, put it here instead.

Picked up on a line in the article that reads;

"“Thanks to consumers across the whole of the United Kingdom, we can offer this special higher strike price, so Britain gets more green energy, so consumers' bills in Scotland are kept affordable and so the green economy of the islands grows"

I might have missed something somewhere but, I just don't get it.

How can fixing a minimum price 15% above what is paid to mainland producers keep hydro bills more affordable(?) in Scotland?

Generating and distribution companies will have to pass the extra cost on to consumers so, just what is the man saying?

Is he saying, in a roundabout way, that if we had no renewable energy then, our bills would be so much lower or is he saying that the offshore generated electricity is going to cost 15% more and is, therefore, more affordable?

Something must have been lost in translation..

It looks like that to me:

http://www.out-law.com/en/topics/projects--construction/community-infrastructure1/electricity-market-reform/

I hadn't read much about it in recent months and was under the impression that it was additional help. If this is the case then it doesn't seem like a great gain to eradicate uncertainty about viability.

Edited by Ched

Been having a look on Google, my understanding of this is that it is a long term guarantee to "top-up" any shortfall between the amount the generator receives per unit of electricity and a pre-defined "strike price". In the context of the announcement made, it would seem that the maximum value of this top up will be an extra £15 per MWh for the islands; that is £115 (instead of £100 for mainland wind farms).

A significant difference from other past arrangements is that it will only make up the difference from the market price. So if electricity prices rise over the years, the value of the top up will reduce, I assume becoming zero once the market price reaches £115 per MWh.

This scheme means electricity from “the islands†will cost more than it does from equivalent mainland wind farms. But even with a top-up, island generated electricity will still be cheaper than off-shore generated electricity. This is because off-shore wind gets 2 ROC’s per MWh (Renewable Obligation Certificates), while on-shore wind only gets 0.9 ROC’s per MWh. I am not sure what a ROC is worth, but I understand it is significantly more than £15. So if “islands†wind farms go ahead (where they wouldn’t otherwise) that will reduces the need for more expensive off shore wind farms which would otherwise be needed to meet government targets.

This is what I think it is, correct me if I am wrong.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy