Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

The Viking Energy website is up and running and the interactive consultation element is now active.

www.vikingenergy.co.uk

The site contains information about the project and hopes to gauge public opinion.

Hopefully the interactive aspect will pull out specific concerns and prevent arguments polarising.

Please go for a look and take part in the process.

Then discuss.

So has anyone been and had a look and posted comments? Come on .. go along and have a squint! ... The opportunity is there for the taking .... I dont want to hear folk whinging when the opportunity is lost!!!

News report on wind farms below:

Wind farm invites comments online - 15 September, 2006, shetlandnews.co.uk

I've completed Viking Energy's on line consultation. It's the multiple choice tick-box type. Although it states that you don't have to complete all the questions, it won't allow to submit your response unless you do. And at times I didn't agree with any of the options. I've left them a comment to that effect. Has anyone else had that problem?

I've completed Viking Energy's on line consultation. It's the multiple choice tick-box type. Although it states that you don't have to complete all the questions, it won't allow to submit your response unless you do. And at times I didn't agree with any of the options. I've left them a comment to that effect. Has anyone else had that problem?

Yes - I did the same as you, just left a comment.

More information for you to muse your way through.

Shetland Islands Council Response to Ofgem’s Initial Proposals

Impact of GB Transmission Charging on Renewable Electricity Generation - Feb 2005

Existing documents suggest that the generators’ TNUoS tariffs that might apply to the Scottish Islands could be significantly higher than those currently predicted for the GB mainland in the event that the Islands become transmission-connected. NGC has suggested that the tariff could be as high as £80/kW5 for a Shetland interconnector, while Scottish and Southern Energy has quoted £70/kW6 for the same. Given a number of assumptions, it is estimated that the level of TNUoS tariffs on each of the major Scottish Islands would be: Western Isles £40/kW; Orkney £32/kW; Shetland £55/kW.7 At these levels, it is unlikely that any generation requiring mainland transmission connections would be developed.

^^ Can anyone give any update and or pointers on that?! A link to a "newer" report for instance?!?!

This is about the price we woud pay on an ongoing basis for an interconnector. I'm not sure I can find updates of the same discussion on the internet but I am aware of more recent discussion documents that have not been released publicly by their authors yet. To be brief, the document quoted above is fairly representative of the current overall position.

What I would say is always to remember who wrote something.

For example it would not make a very good argument if when presented with possible high TNUoS (Transmission Network Use of System) Charges that developers in Shetland then said "why yes, we can afford that easily." If we want to get the charges brought down so they are not discriminatory (and we are arguing that they are) then we will argue high prices are not good for us. When someone then repeats that projects will struggle with high charges then it merely reflects the case we are making to the System Operator. As you will note none of the authors of the above report are involved in this project. Therefore they do not have access to our financial models and are in no position to comment on our actual ability to develop infrastructure. They may think it unlikely but we might not. We will however make the case that we want those charges lower.

I personally would like to see some more information regarding the pricing structures for all the infrastructure that will have to be put in place to access the sites the turbines are going to be situated.

Surely some form of road access is going to have to be built for each and every turbine - especially to get maintenance vehicles to each site, and not forgetting the "low loaders"? with all the parts for assembling each structure to begin with?

I've seen no figures bandied about as to the cost of this presumably initial phase so far ...

I've seen no figures bandied about as to the cost of this presumably initial phase so far ...

In the case of Burradale, this merely meant digging a track through the hill and filling it with "quarry cleanings", fairly lo-tech but adequate for construction and ongoing maintenance. Easily repairable too, as was necessary during construction with all the truck traffic mashing the track to a pulp. It would be nice to think that these hill tracks for the new sites could be used for public access too, even if festooned with windmills, there would still be stunning views from these hills which are inaccessible to any not able to tackle a hike through peat moorland. The moors on the tops of the hills are often gullied or split, making hiking a unique experience, (drop-down-climb up-drop down-climb up.....etc,etc! Not for the faint-hearted!) Hence, the infrastructure could be beneficial in its own right.

Now, my own view on the project has changed slightly in light of the RSPB statement, which TBH i'm slightly surprised at, that there is no risk, worthy of protest against, to native birds from the project. Well, if they think it's okay then who am i to argue. I'd like to hear from the British Trust for Ornithology as well though.

Another thing i'm split about is that i am glad that they have shown the full extent of the project in the photo-representations, but it has at the same time made me wonder if perhaps the project should be done in stages that would allow, those in favour of the principle to say "yes this is good, but 100 is plenty, please withold the next 100" for instance. All or nothing is a hard argument.

• 2 weeks later...
I personally would like to see some more information regarding the pricing structures for all the infrastructure that will have to be put in place to access the sites the turbines are going to be situated.

Surely some form of road access is going to have to be built for each and every turbine - especially to get maintenance vehicles to each site, and not forgetting the "low loaders"? with all the parts for assembling each structure to begin with?

I received a socio economic impact questionaire yesterday about the Viking Energy Windfarm. Among the key points highlighted is the fact that "significant engineering works will be required for over 100Km of access roads, foundations, substations, new cables & lines, demand for aggregates and and transport services during the construction phase"

The hills of Shetland are certainly going to look different!

It's one of my main gripes with the photos provided - there appears to be no sign of pylons, for example - I presume they'll have as much (if not more) visual/environmental impact - and over a much wider area. Presumably a line will have to be laid down the full length of Shetland...

Also - consultation online is all very well - but where's the public meetings etc. etc we were promised? A lot of folk just can't access this stuff.

Also - consultation online is all very well - but where's the public meetings etc. etc we were promised? A lot of folk just can't access this stuff.

A very valid point pernjim. The lack of public meetings and wider debate about the whole scheme could be portrayed very badly further down the line. As in, those of a conspiratory slant could say that the availability of the debate being solely available through the companies own website, theoretically available to all, in reality rules out a huge proportion of the population from access, that is , those who do not know about the site and those who do/can not use the internet have no opportunity to comment or question. I would hope this issue will be addressed in due course, and that the money already spent on planning and consultation has not already created a 'runaway train' of the type often seen around here.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy