Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

• 2 weeks later...

well that was no surprise just wasted 2 years of time. it will now be build the momentum is there. the need for a subsea connection is there. the desire to generate green energy is high. lets get it built and see.

Not if myself and other anti-Viking Energy bods have anything to do with it, it won't.  They haven't got the final okay for a sub-station.  Whilst you may argue there is the need for a subsea connection, it would appear not to be economically sound.  Plus, what happens if Scotland does get independence?  There is no guarantee that England would purchase electricity from Scotland.

Horrid outcome ... but it ain't over yet.  Sustainable Shetland and other objectors can appeal.

well that was no surprise just wasted 2 years of time. it will now be build the momentum is there. the need for a subsea connection is there. the desire to generate green energy is high. lets get it built and see.

There was never any question this would be the outcome. Scot's Courts were never going to go against their bosses in the final outcome. Welcome to how things will be if we get lumbered with being within an independent Scotland.

Yes, lets go on with it as quickly as possible. Then the SCT can bankrupt themselves as quickly as possible, as they will whenever this starts spending properly, and hopefully before too many holes are dug. So that Shetland and Shetlanders can get on with life without fanciful pie in the sky merchants and the bickering that goes on whenever one gets their nose in the trough.

Yes, a sad but predictable outcome.

The truth is, this is a disaster of a project but they just don't know when to stop.

Wind power is about as green and renewable as a fart in the wind.

And yes, welcome to life in an independant Scotland....

Sir James "Gaia Theory" Royal-Society Lovelock said, that wind power was a waste of time, and that the only way to go is nuclear.

We'll have to keep up our side of the bargain somehow, and I don't think we can quite produce enough lamb and jumpers to cover that, so sticking a nuclear power station up the Kames would keep the wolf off our backs.

Canna mind who it was said; "The one way to guarantee nuclear, is to build windfarms."

There seems to be a view here, and with a number of folk in Shetland generally that:

-SSE is just in Viking Energy for the money, and will make a bucket full with their 50% stake.
-The Burradale folk will make money with their 5% stake.
-But the CT with a 45% stake will be bankrupted by it.

Don’t understand, I had always thought that any company made either a profit or a loss for all shareholders the same.

The Burradale folk know more about wind turbines in Shetland than anyone else, and are confident enough of VE to put their own money on the line. SSE has wind turbines all over the place, so they know how to build and operate windfarms. You may not have confidence in the CT, but I am sure that SSE won’t go ahead unless they are sure that it is all going to work and make a profit.

^ Just one example from a countless number:-

Viking per se doesn't have to make a profit for SSE to make a profit, they (unless there has been a sudden and recent change in arrangements) are also the distributor/wholesaler/retailer of the power produced to the national grid. They can make their doubloons there, SCT rely (last I heard) entirely on Viking profits.

I could go on with numerous other reasons, 'known unknowns' and 'unknown unknowns'.

It's not just the bottomless financial pitt/side/gamble I'm thinkng about, it's the sheer destruction that it will cause.

Either people don't understand about how destructive this one project is going to be or they don't care. And mark my words, there are a plethora of other oportunistic, money-making people in Shetland waiting in the wings planning their own windfarms on the back of this. Infact, it wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing was already planned and carved up.

Frankly, I would be very careful in the current constitutional climate about what we do with Scotland because if they win the independance vote Shetland is going to find itself in very troubled waters.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

And mark my words, there are a plethora of other oportunistic, money-making people in Shetland waiting in the wings planning their own windfarms on the back of this. Infact, it wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing was already planned and carved up.

The toon to Cunninsgburgh and the north isles are pretty much that already, and publically acknowledged, so that doesn't exactly leave all that much still in doubt.

so. if folks feel they can make a profit on a large investment good on them. if they had been mini oil wells would that be any better. its clear by just driving around that a lot of folks think that wind is good. the only thing stopping a lot more being built is the connection issues.   

Wnder of its too late to erect a full-sized mock-p windmill on top the Staney Hill to show people just massive and how tall these windmills are going to be. Being so close to Lerwick it will maybe help others think twice about the whole scheme and just how huge it is.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy