Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

AS yes it would have been best. i personally think the idea is very good and will be good for us. however i do agree the risk should have warranted a poll. 

We now enter the realms of politics when us humble serfs demand control. it seems even the flimsy representation that we had was to much.

its now much to late 8 or more years ago would have been right,

re the house move if its a new 5 or 6 bed house with really good land then im up for the switch as long as they can cope with our tumbled down croft.

AS yes it would have been best. i personally think the idea is very good and will be good for us. however i do agree the risk should have warranted a poll. 

We now enter the realms of politics when us humble serfs demand control. it seems even the flimsy representation that we had was to much.

its now much to late 8 or more years ago would have been right,

re the house move if its a new 5 or 6 bed house with really good land then im up for the switch as long as they can cope with our tumbled down croft.

Your last statement has me a bit puzzled. If the windfarm is such a great idea and you reckon there's no health risk why would you not swap like for like? Why expect a better property and exploit the drop in property value that those folk will have to accept?

I really wish you would stop constantly looking for an argument. If you have nothing positive to say perhaps it is wiser to say less. All you are doing is putting others off taking part. The mods have already warned you about this :-(

I look forward to Shetland leading the way with renewables, it can only be a good thing.

Without the inter-connector renewables will pass shetland by, yup, wait until wave and tidal can earn enough to pay for the connector, by then I think the boat would have long sailed and any benefit passed back to Orkney and the West Coast.

Thanks for the lesson and threat, much apreciated.

I really wish you would stop constantly looking for an argument. If you have nothing positive to say perhaps it is wiser to say less. All you are doing is putting others off taking part. The mods have already warned you about this :-(

I look forward to Shetland leading the way with renewables, it can only be a good thing.

Without the inter-connector renewables will pass shetland by, yup, wait until wave and tidal can earn enough to pay for the connector, by then I think the boat would have long sailed and any benefit passed back to Orkney and the West Coast.

Thanks for the lesson and threat, much apreciated.

As you well know, there was no "threat" involved in my post. But if you see it as a lesson I'm happy you appreciate it.

cant compensate for a future event. did those folks with a fine view of sullom get compo. now if you were right under one then yes you would deserve something. but when your arguing over a distance of 2 miles about unproven health risks get real. anyone getting compo for being in the blast zone of the fuel tanks. how about the stink from the power station that cant be good for you. then there is the stench from bressay.

we can always try to panic people with these deadly turbines we should have learnt the dutch are all mad and that must be from there windmills.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEbU8hSFrHnfVsUQuhuHjl6vjBe9Ask-5Cx48DyDbadPK6Z6rreQ

they play compo in Denmark I believe, or so I read last night.

With everything you are saying, PaulB, it still does not "explain" or "justify" why you would expect to exchange your house/ croft for a better and bigger and newer property within the windfarm zone. This really would be exploiting all the "scaremongering", would it not? :ponders:

cant compensate for a future event. did those folks with a fine view of sullom get compo. now if you were right under one then yes you would deserve something. but when your arguing over a distance of 2 miles about unproven health risks get real. anyone getting compo for being in the blast zone of the fuel tanks. how about the stink from the power station that cant be good for you. then there is the stench from bressay.

You can't compensate for a future event if its unproven that it definitely will occur, and/or it is unquantifiable until after the fact, that is correct. What you can do though, it give an undertaking that *if* said event does occur, that once quantified as much as humanly possible, that appropriate compensation will be available. As best as I can recall, I agree with as, that the only statement that has been made on the subject was to the effect that no compensation would be available for a reduction in property values, should that occur.

Comparing with Sullom, power station or Bressay Factory fumes is not comparing like with like. Windmills are constantly moving objects, silhouetted against the sky 24/7/365, while you may loathe the look of Sullom etc, they're low lying and blend in to the land behind them to some degree, so are easier ignored. You cannot ignore something moving against the sky when its in your line of vision anywhere near so easily, if at all. I'm not dismissing the possible health implications of fumes, but those from power stations, Bressay Factory etc only affect a very limited area for a very limited period of time, windmill noise is omnipresent.

There are a number of certain inalienable facts, with the sun behind them, windmills will generate a shadow flicker, any item travelling through the air makes noise, any electricity generator makes noise, the bigger the item of any of these the louder the noise. The effects of a domestic type windmill, even in some number appear to be virtually negligable, windmills of the size, concentration and distance from residences of Burradale, although irksome visually, don't seem to have all that much direct negative effects. However can anyone really accurately forecast what direct negative effect, if any, what exactly it will be, and the extent of its effect, will occur when you install windmills approx 100% larger than those at Burradale, and to a concentration of over 2000%, especially given Shetland's undulating terrain dotted over with numerous bodies of water, and rather erratic geology. I don't believe anyone can, and to be fair to all, I believe a worst case scenario attitude until proven otherwise is the only safe stance to take.

Edited by Ghostrider

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy