Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

you mean you dont believe a tory pm. wow how doubting. a bit mean to expect the north of scotland to pay an extra 40 odd quid. they must have the figures or they could not charge it

I don't believe anybody I don't know, especially politicians and lawyers whatever their leanings or level on the totem.

I never said whether I expected the North of Scotland or anybody else to pay an extra £40+ or not. Nobody is charging nobody nothing, and any "figures" that have been used have been arrived at in a paper exercise, nothing else. SSE in the old NOSHEB area have overheads for supplying power across the entire area, and they set retail unit cost to cover that plus their profit.

I said I'd answer *if* somebody could supply the actual figures for supplying power in Shetland, as we're isolated and have a completely stand alone grid, that should be a simple exercise for SSE accounts accessible staff.

The figures in your quote are nothing more than journalistic and political point scoring spin, in and of themselves meaningless in establishing facts, only to create certain (not necessarily accurate) impressions.

"And those wind turbines are tiny compared to what is proposed for here.  Interesting to note too that they were built in 1992 yet are being replaced now with larger ones, plus press reports stated that whilst villagers aren't being affected at present, they anticipate they will be with the much larger ones - no wonder you're moving."

So, they're reducing the number of turbines from 24 twenty-year old turbines, with eight, larger but more efficient and better designed turbines with increased capacity, and you're still able to find something to complain about? You're consistent, I'll give you that.

Edited by Fatal Paper Cut

then the spin on the green subsidy falls into the same. as we are not told how much support oil gas or nuclear costs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm given to understand that the "green tax" levied only on diesel produced electric was to subsidise "renewables" only, ie. wind. Also, its quantified on every SSE bill they send out. How much, if any, the rest of the NOSHEB area pays extra to cover the cost of Shetland's diesel costs, isn't. And that's the point here, is it not?

If there's subsidisation of gas or nuclear produced electricity, it affects Shetland none, as we don't have any - unless of course a portion of all Shetland's SSE bills actually pay towards them too.

Edited by Ghostrider

Quick dig through this one
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/43538/shepdninesconsultation.pdf

Turned up 

1.9. The current arrangements to supply electricity on Shetland cost around £29m 
in 2010-2011. The majority of the costs are from the fuel and operating cost 
of running Lerwick power station (£16m) and the rest from third party 
contracts (£13m).

1.10. In 2010-11, a third of this £29m was recovered directly from Shetland‟s 
customers through their electricity supply bills. The remainder was recovered 
from customers connected across SHEPD‟s distribution network.

But I didn't notice a more complete accounts sheet.

Walls, eh! Well outside Shetland windfarm country, that - yet, anyway.

Do you mean in the same way that Billy Fox, for example lives in the South Mainland?

Course, Waas folk only ever stay in Waas and never venture out of it, or have to drive through Weisdale to get to Tescos, or Northlink, or Mareel, or anything...

Not sure I see your point. I understand Billy Fox does live in the South Mainland, why he lives there, or how long he has lived there, I have no clue, but unless he's currently looking to move, I don't see the comparison.

The post from which the quote comes was by, as I understand it, someone currently residing in the north of Englandshire, among a few smaller, in every sense of the word, windfarms, who is trying to tell folk here that they're actually quite pleasant neighbours. While at the same time planning to reside in just about as far away from a windfarm as she can get on the Shetland mainland. Its maybe just me, but those two facts don't sit side by side all too easily with me.

Its one thing travelling past any monstrosity as quickly as possible, as west side residents can do when they have to visit the great metropolis etc, its quite another living in one 24/7/365. I would have no issues driving past Dounreay every day, but I'd certainly not want to live inside the gate.

the post from which the quote comes was by, as I understand it, someone currently residing in the north of Englandshire, among a few smaller, in every sense of the word, windfarms, who is trying to tell folk here that they're actually quite pleasant neighbours. While at the same time planning to reside in just about as far away from a windfarm as she can get on the Shetland mainland. Its maybe just me, but those two facts don't sit side by side all too easily with me.

Keep in mind folks the ongoing conspiracy. Tiz a massive plot!!!!

http://thenormalmale.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/rman3890l.jpg

Turned up 

1.9. The current arrangements to supply electricity on Shetland cost around £29m 
contracts (£13m).

We won't talk about that!

I will, does this mean that without alternative cheaper production, If Shetland, as some think can gain self control, would either have to subsidise the grid and generation costs or increase electricity by 2 thirds.

Turned up 

contracts (£13m).

We won't talk about that!

Your efforts at mind reading = Fail.

I'm eating right now, and I have a bed to go to. I'll talk about it alright, in my own good time.

the post from which the quote comes was by, as I understand it, someone currently residing in the north of Englandshire, among a few smaller, in every sense of the word, windfarms, who is trying to tell folk here that they're actually quite pleasant neighbours. While at the same time planning to reside in just about as far away from a windfarm as she can get on the Shetland mainland. Its maybe just me, but those two facts don't sit side by side all too easily with me.

Keep in mind folks the ongoing conspiracy. Tiz a massive plot!!!!

http://thenormalmale.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/rman3890l.jpg

My agenda is anything but hidden, and believe me, the last thing I want to know about, or see, is yours.

Not sure I see your point. I understand Billy Fox does live in the South Mainland, why he lives there, or how long he has lived there, I have no clue, but unless he's currently looking to move, I don't see the comparison.

The post from which the quote comes was by, as I understand it, someone currently residing in the north of Englandshire, among a few smaller, in every sense of the word, windfarms, who is trying to tell folk here that they're actually quite pleasant neighbours. While at the same time planning to reside in just about as far away from a windfarm as she can get on the Shetland mainland. Its maybe just me, but those two facts don't sit side by side all too easily with me.

Its one thing travelling past any monstrosity as quickly as possible, as west side residents can do when they have to visit the great metropolis etc, its quite another living in one 24/7/365. I would have no issues driving past Dounreay every day, but I'd certainly not want to live inside the gate.

From what you were saying, you can live just outside the area where the windfarm would be, have a pro opinion and it barely registers as valid. Yet you can live much, much further away, but so long as your opinion is anti, than that opinion should be respected.

It's called double standards. 

The third point is still unproven as far as I'm concerned, the longer term effects on living creatures, if any, of sound at frequencies outwith human auditory range is far from wholly understood, as are those of the production and transportation of high voltage electricity. If you are satisfied the risks are minimal enough that you can sleep nights, good on you, but many folk don't have that privilege.

Yes - unproven. Which would mean no-one has proven a definitive link between windfarms and effects on long term health and we can't definitively say one way or another. But given that we're constantly exposed to sounds beyond the range of human hearing - along with spectrums of light that we cannot see, natural and man made radio waves, etc, etc - and no-one's complaining about those, I'm willing to bet "infrasound" is utter bøllocks. If it and "the flicker effect" were real, than anyone living within sight and sound of a motorway would be in serious danger from constantly passing traffic. I've yet to see anyone in a motorway services convulsing after a string of juggernauts thunders past.

It's kind of weird how the people who are pro-windfarm or whatever else never suffer the ill-health effects that some of the anti brigade would like us to believe exist.

Edited by Fatal Paper Cut

our nearly here new poster needs to be treated with a little more respect they are new here and dont deserve being treated bad. crown point scout moor wind farm is close to todmoreden in fact there are 3 or 4 near tod. none has yet killed anyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_Moor_Wind_Farm

they are not small being 330 ft tall 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ad/Scout_Moor_from_Radcliffe.jpg/1920px-Scout_Moor_from_Radcliffe.jpg

realistic most of the time this is a simular view to what we will get.

scout moor is the largest on shore farm in england.

http://www.coronationpower.com/dev_todmorden.html  tis one is being built but as its near a former maggot factory. now that did stink.

http://www.keldawater.co.uk/gorpley   these are the same size as ours.  tod really does have a lot of turbines near it.

From what you were saying, you can live just outside the area where the windfarm would be, have a pro opinion and it barely registers as valid. Yet you can live much, much further away, but so long as your opinion is anti, than that opinion should be respected.

It's called double standards. 

You were the one who brought Billy Fox in to the debate, not me. I never made any claims about his opinions, or the legitimacy of them. If I happen to share opinion(s) with him, I don't see the relevance, I didn't envoke his or anyone else's name in support of mine, I'm not in his fan club, and I very seriously doubt he'd ever contemplate being in mine. Folk will just have to take him and his opinions as they find them, as I do, along with the opinions of numerous others, and then make my own mind up.

What I was calling in to question was the credibility of the poster's assertions. By their own admission they live in the proximity of, and are comparing to windfarm(s) less than 25% of the size and comprising of windmills approx 66% of the size of those planned for Viking trying to claim they are completely unobtrusive, yet at the same time openly stating that they're in the process of relocating to someplace here where they'll only have to be aware of Viking's existence in passing.

To me, that reads like I were to go on a Middlesex Forum and tell folk on there that because I lived next to Sumburgh and found it unobtrusive, it was just a myth that they believed Heathrow was obtrusive, and all the while I was planning to live in Berkshire so would only be affected by it occasionally in passing anyway.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy