Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

This flicker is no diffrent from that of living in a house besides a main road in a city where HGV's are passing all the time causing momentary shadow.

I wouldn't choose to live in such a place, and if there were plans mooted to construct such within sight of where I lived, I'd certainly be as anti as I am of VE, especially so if there were plans to risk "my" share of a community fund building the thing.

so were faced with 3 options 1.Polution 2.Shadow or 3. No electricity. The question is which one is it to be.

Being as I am old enough of a bar steward to remember very clearly when out in the sticks in Shetland electricity was a luxury rather than a necessity, I would rather go back to those days than approve of a gormless project like VE.

two at most.

its no good for us to fund small ones. no cable no wind energy production more than we have now, where is this evidence that this will bust the bank/ show us a wind farm in one of the highest windy places in the uk thats gone bust, lets be honest we know it will make money we know it will be built with or without us earning from it. we could insist that on hot days like this that they reverse engineer them and turn them in to huge fans 

flicker =red herring

ultra sound waves = more red herrings

minced birds ect= red herrings

impact on the peat= yeah you really care anyone checked totals peat store.

cost= even the most rabid anti will admit it will earn when built.

so what are we left with the view and blatant nimbyitis.

the above two are fine but be honest you just dont want it.

Edited by paulb

cost= even the most rabid anti will admit it will earn when built.

Nope, I have a twenty that says you're wrong, you willing to match it?

blatant nimbyitis.

Definitely, and proud of it. Along with seeing Shetland's nest egg thrown away in foolishness.

you just dont want it.

Never denied it.

^ We can see them from Fitful - definitely very unpretty.

I've spent my entire life having to look at sundry poles, masts, towers, radar golf balls, dishes etc, and whatever blinking red lights and/or engine noise accompanied such places on every hill surrounding me all my life - I'm sick of it, and don't want to have to put up with huge blades waving at me against the sky from every other hilltop wherever else I go in Shetland now too.

Edited by Ghostrider

try the south shetlands

Try them for a windfarm, nobody and not a lot else to bother there, I was here first, and I kinda like it here - without a proliferation of windmills sprouting out of every hilltop.

Although that said, the rights of the whaals and selkies there to live in peace would probably get more sympathy and respect than our rights are getting here.

he says  

nothing there how very dare you. give me a red herring yummy

our friend the skua lives there to. makes us look nearly tropical

Who's "he"? Purposely misquoting isn't usually considered cricket old bean.

If by "skua" you happen to be referring to bonxies, best place for them, the further they're away from me the better I like it.

• 5 months later...

very quite on this topic.

im concerned for the supporters of sustainable shetland. after reading the appeal from them for support; and supporters to agree to become liable for costs. i would really advice you to really consider not doing it. your choice but when i hear unlimited costs i dread to think if some one agreed without realisinthe full impact this could have. i thought they  had raised all there funding. 

This always the case with unincorporated organisations. Generally it is the management committee who are liable, not individual members. 

Meanwhile this is very worrying.

PLANS to build a massive wind farm in Shetland took a “significant” step forward this week when the government agreed to speed up the timetable for making the project viable.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/10011-government-to-push-for-viking-s-viability

very quite on this topic.

im concerned for the supporters of sustainable shetland. after reading the appeal from them for support; and supporters to agree to become liable for costs. i would really advice you to really consider not doing it. your choice but when i hear unlimited costs i dread to think if some one agreed without realisinthe full impact this could have. i thought they  had raised all there funding. 

"full impact".  Given that property prices are affected by having wind turbines in close proximity for starters, some supporters already feel that they have nothing to lose, not to mention flicker, etc.  Are you not concerned too at the shrinking pot of the SCT?  Can Shetland afford VE?  

im not debating those issues. im saying i would advice not agreeing to become responsible for any potential debt. when its speculated at 50k thats just a guess. it could be a load more. 

unless said turbines were built very close to homes no devaluation will happen as we know there are very few close to any houses. if a mere view of one resulted in reduced  house prices then aberdeenshire and the boarders must have some seriously reduced house prices. sct need extra income. its a no brainer the wind turbine farm will make money. it may not be how you like it but if they did not scotland would not be covered in them. the power companies know what they are doing and are not losing money over them.    

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy