Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

The reason for the Hinkley Point station costing so much is nothing to do with the technology of the plant or the cost of the fuel it is simply a result of an extremely poor deal being made with EDF energy, the UK Gov promising to pay over the odds for every watt. 

In case it wasn't clear, I never suggested otherwise. That just makes it even worse, and even more baffling that they haven't been very publicly panned for it. As it is, it's largely gone through without significant scrutiny, which is very worrying. 

That said, claims that nuclear is cheaper than wind power are extremely debatable, as it is very hard to compare the two fairly given the huge differences between them. But it doesn't matter what the theoretical cost is if those in power are so incompetent. 

hjasga I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding the incompetence, I may be a proponent of nuclear power but a bad deal is a bad deal whatever type operation it is.

I never actually said nuclear is cheaper than wind. Like you say they are hard to compare. Every method of power generation has pros and cons. In my opinion nuclear power is much more suitable for large scale power generation than wind. Wind turbines on a large scale take up an enormous amount of space, are a fluctuating source of power and are of questionable environmental benefit. 

The worlds current and future energy needs are simply too great to be provided entirely by current renewable technology without causing significant ecological, environmental and economical disruption. They should be part of the energy mix certainly but should not be the entire focus of new development and investment.

Relying on French and Chinese companies to build and operate our power stations seems like a terrible idea to me. Energy security is crucial, maybe the nuclear industry should never have been privatised? Remember Britain did have the worlds first commercial nuclear power station. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

SSE are still considering proposals for renewing the Lerwick power station. One of the proposals is to use gas from Sullom Voe to power it. If that goes ahead the pipeline will go straight through the site for some of Viking's windmills. An SSE employee confirmed to me at one of their consultations that this would kill Viking stone dead.

Also every announcement made by the government about wind power makes it less financially viable.

So I guess at the moment Viking are keeping their head down hoping all this blows by.

• 3 weeks later...

A date for your diary

14.00 to 19.30 23 August at Mareel

Pre application consultation for a subsea cable to Shetland

http://www.4coffshore.com/windfarms/interconnector-shetland-hvdc-icid4.html

Of the 600MW the Viking onshore wind farm has 412MW booked, which leaves 188MW for Peel Energy (70MW) and Energy Isles (150-200MW).

Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission is to hold a public consultation on its plans to build an interconnector cable between Weisdale Voe and Caithness to connect Shetland renewable projects to the national grid.

The pre-application consultation is advertised for the Mareel arts centre on 23rd August. SHE Transmission plans to install the 257-kilometre cable which has a 600MW capacity as soon as the Viking Windfarm passes regulatory hurdles.

But while SHE’s published plans can be read as an expression of faith in the project, it is seen as highly likely any announcement as to whether islands’ onshore windfarms will be included in forthcoming energy auctions will be pushed back until the Westminster parliament is reconvened, possibly with a new government.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2016/07/16/consultation-is-next-step-in-vital-renewable-interconnector-scheme

A former energy minister has claimed "offshore wind in Scotland is pretty much dead" after a legal challenge against four major projects.
A judge upheld RSPB Scotland's challenge to consent for turbines in the Firth of Forth and Firth of Tay.
Brian Wilson said the charity now "hold all the cards" over the schemes, which were to include hundreds of turbines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36842758?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_weather&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

• 4 weeks later...
  • admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy