Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

One of Scotland's biggest energy providers has warned onshore wind development will come to a standstill if the UK government does not offer an urgent commitment to its future.
Scottish Power says no new framework has been created for wind farms for when subsidies come to an end in April.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37840573

• 2 weeks later...

^ I've said that from the start. *If* it was the "dead cert" cash cow its supporters would try and have the rest of us believe, why was our funds needed to be involved at all.

The bulk of the VE site is on SIC owned land, if they'd leased it to SSE or any other commercial venture already involved in energy production/distribution who was interested, and written a bounty on production in to the lease, we could have had no risk/involvement income from it.

If nobody would touch it, we'd have known who was telling porkies, and if they were telling the truth, we'd have been laughing all the way to the bank.

When almost everything one does nowadays has to go into consultation after consultation after consultation,nothing can get ahead for going backwards and all this at considerable expense,making any project no matter how good or viable virtually impossible to get of the ground..

Few people are in a financial position no matter how good there business plans or ideas are to beat this system.

While this attitude of "not in my back yard "takes preference, how can any sensible project ever get of the ground,although I have to confess I do not agree with it all.

Off course if this was for a lot of "5 aside" indoor sports pure white tents" then I guess there would be no problem.  Shetland would be covered in them. 

Ma'be President Trump might invest a little here in Shetland after all,he at least saw great potential  in Scotland when he spent millions on golf courses creating many jobs for which he certainly did not get much respect or credit,  That is of course if our own country keeps putting up barriers and will not support us.

After looking into it  I estimate the trusts investment in this project so far comes to £17million plus you must add on the returns lost had this money still been invested in stocks or what ever . Should this project be completed and be a success all well and good but should it not go ahead due to the present governments changed policy on onshore windfarms then it will be big waste of money . 

I thought, right from the start, that it might never be able to get off the ground but, "Pound to a Penny" says that VE now "discover"  that tidal generation is the way to go...

Despite the good intentions of a number of people involved, I cannot help thinking that if VE had concentrated on smaller schemes (such as Burradale) to power/heat our communities, then it would have got a lot more support and, by now, some results.  Also, we wouldn't have needed a damnably expensive interconnector.

It might not have generated money for Shetland by supplying the Mainland but, it would have helped to keep our general population warm, generated a local "income stream" and, would have justified the wages etc. paid to VE employees.

After looking into it  I estimate the trusts investment in this project so far comes to £17million plus you must add on the returns lost had this money still been invested in stocks or what ever . Should this project be completed and be a success all well and good but should it not go ahead due to the present governments changed policy on onshore windfarms then it will be big waste of money . 

Interestingly the last published balance sheet for SCT Renewables Ltd (the new name for the SCT investment in Viking) shows a balance sheet value of £6.6 million and a share capital of £8.9 million. £2.4 million was blown in the year. But that leaves £8 million unaccounted for.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/document-api-images-prod/docs/6yzIeIO1YCUaCuMHfzcQS23p-dBdAodm9HXhQhWGdqw/application-pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=ASIAI3EONLGKZYU3FIOA&Expires=1478992321&Signature=UcI839xioxPvMfo4QdYImHJ9LHc%3D&x-amz-security-token=FQoDYXdzEJP%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2FwEaDE71mZD2ws7wZZ82OSKcA1dJjlnBwIQ09ClogmnbrtdwKghjdo%2Fa5DTEYmpfTh9k9dj9j9jkUTexJA%2BPQWyo%2FspRToLSnYSWtHwd7JCHbQ7G636oHKzl4wyKuwVH%2FSbbVAL9cgFS8arQ09e043%2B%2BKKND%2BTFkS3CmYXYdYSLMvwIektQnNZV9WG3Mo%2F%2FzhvaglwGg7tUU7COWj6qi2OgTFnJasIYyYqgc3c7JtBhOrJOMi18CZO3KjPbFYrO4alBIvjXkMY%2BKVbJCsxIqY%2B4%2ByJ2qVQrD0gmhWf46JF%2F1LvlNfiCD0KWvt7toRZtKefP2T88vUoroesxRGSDSxxrueIHj1UEYtCfhrF2JC443DmyTBlSb%2FohNDgCwga9S6xwrSGiPCHBKLTUB1%2FjFX5DTAFe58a4NFi3IXYpBblGM%2FWOoWAXn1fMCbiOyBCbnmudjczRU%2F7XtWHXoWJNAWX6nXJM81pUPPSJ7%2BsBmk%2Flz4LfOUjqelAn6HOqopYEbQA9GxCTmMwdrtOM6bKGYtzh3XLbjrduuCxNJS3i33UTpifW1Nif7g%2F7HTN3AyhsosrudwQU%3D

I thought, right from the start, that it might never be able to get off the ground but, "Pound to a Penny" says that VE now "discover"  that tidal generation is the way to go...

Until and unless the vast energy resource that are the twin gaps at Talbot Bay, Australia, where the tidal range is up to 35 feet, and similar sites worldwide are being successfully harnessed, I don't think many will believe them on that one either.

• 4 months later...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-biggest-company-youve-never-heard-of-lifting-the-lid-on-peel-group-the-property-firm-owned-by-8890201.html

This makes interesting reading.  They are behind the Windfarm proposals at "Mossy Hill" and also the proposed windfarm in Yell.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/14393-peel-proposes-wind-farm-near-lerwick

(*** Mods *** - I did a quick trawl for the original Windfarm thread but couldn't see it, but please add this if you feel it is appropriate) :???:

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy