Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

The one "typical" scenario of this poll and that is the 21% of sitting on the fence, i dunno know or couldn't give a monkeys element of the population.

These people will never make up their minds on anything.

The proposals for the wind farm , interconnector and converter station, the last two not mentioned in the poll, have gone to Edinburgh.

If you don't want it, you need to get to the upcoming meetings and say so, and maybe the council will force a public enquiry, failing that the minister in Scotland may call for one :roll:

what annoyed me about the paper was the headline saying "Majority opposed to windfarm and less than a third in favour".

Surely 48% isn't a majority?

In my opinion the headline should say "Majority in favour of or undecided about the windfarm" but I guess whilst that would be more technically accurate (in my mind) it wouldn't have the same headline effect

nice spin on the numbers... but realistically... "Majority against or undecided about the windfarm" since significantly more people were explicitly opposed to the windfarm than in favour.

nice spin on the numbers... but realistically... "Majority against or undecided about the windfarm" since significantly more people were explicitly opposed to the windfarm than in favour.

Actually that's a very good point. I actually laughed when I realised howstupid it was for me to miss that

But still, I find the current headline to be inaccurate, regardless of bias/spin

The one "typical" scenario of this poll and that is the 21% of sitting on the fence, i dunno know or couldn't give a monkeys element of the population.

These people will never make up their minds on anything.

I didn't find that surprising.

There has been very little definite financial information published so far and I think there is potential for a big swing either way depending how convinced or not people are that it's a sure thing that there is good money to be made from the proposal.

Driving in denmark a couple of years ago and the polis had closed the road for hours for a large load negotiating a junction. Much bigger road than Shetland.

It was a single blade for a wind mill.

I doubt i anone has seriously looket at the logistics of getting these things around Shetland. Thank god its only going to affect the North Mainland!

There has been very little definite financial information published so far and I think there is potential for a big swing either way depending how convinced or not people are that it's a sure thing that there is good money to be made from the proposal.

Yes. That will be the decider for me.

I've never understood this problem people have with the money aspect of this project. The price of the electricity generated is guaranteed for the 25 year lifespan of the project. The sums are simple:

(revenue generated)-(cost of financing)=(profit or loss)

and if it wasn't projected be profitable, it wouldn't be built, nobody would even be talking about it. Why is this so difficult to grasp? It's a far safer bet than leaving the money tied up in the financial markets given the turmoil that's likely to be caused by the peak oil phenomenon (which we are already experiencing).

Like I've said before, it's a no-brainer. :roll:

This project will generate more money per year than SVT at it's peak, and it will make that money every year it operates. SVT only generated it's peak revenues for 5 or 6 years during the mid eighties. All the arguments about the dwindling oil reserves go away if we build this. We can have a bridge/tunnel to Bressay, bridges to Yell, Unst and even Whalsay. We can have the care homes and afford to run the leisure centres and swimming pools for the foreseeable future, we can build the "Rolls Royce" high school we want. And, above all, we get the interconnector, without which, no other renewable energy projects are possible. The money generated from this will see Shetland good for the rest of my life and beyond, possibly the rest of the century. This is the best and only chance we will get at this, it would be folly to pass it up.

(And I haven't even mentioned the environmental case.)

Consider the alternative. As "sustainable" Shetland put it:

We want to see sustainable renewable energy projects in Shetland, and that these projects should be fit for scale, and provide real community benefit.

This will cost almost as much*, will only cover Shetland and will generate no more additional income. Additionally, it will only work when the wind blows or the sun shines. It will provide no community benefit whatsoever (well, maybe a few maintenance jobs) and it will still cover the landscape (much more of the landscape) with windmills.

The status quo is not an option. VE is the only sane alternative.

*The island of Eigg installed a 24/7 system consisting of windmill, solar and diesel backup, it cost £10,000/person, and that was only for residential users. To power Shetland with all it's schools, industry, public services etc would cost double at least. That's £450,000,000 up front and it would still require a backup power station the size of Gremista. It's the "sustainable" Shetland nimby's who are the biggest threat to Shetlands prosperity, not VE.

^^^^ I was addressing Crofters point about the money, and

(And I haven't even mentioned the environmental case.)

Also, as was clearly pointed out in the VE EIA, most of the peat which will be affected by the windfarm is already degenerating and releasing CO2. The amount which will be affected by the windfarm is trivial compared to the amount of peat in general and the the damage which will be done by climate change.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy