Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

They should be opposing any and all projects which involve a significant volume of peat. And especially any proposal with a payback time of never, like the total project. If they are, as they claim, concerned about climate change.

Any other response makes them hypocrites.

You could though, equally say that the windfarm supporters group would have to come out in support of the Total project, as it seeks to guarantee a greater supply of natural gas, which is a cleaner, greener fuel source than the diesel or coal usage it would replace.

Otherwise they would also be hypocrites. :P

They should be opposing any and all projects which involve a significant volume of peat. And especially any proposal with a payback time of never, like the total project. If they are, as they claim, concerned about climate change.

Any other response makes them hypocrites.

You could though, equally say that the windfarm supporters group would have to come out in support of the Total project, as it seeks to guarantee a greater supply of natural gas, which is a cleaner, greener fuel source than the diesel or coal usage it would replace.

Otherwise they would also be hypocrites. :P

yup.

but VE want to build another oil fired station here and not utilise the gas comming ashore at Sullom

I doubt if VE want to get involved with oil-fired power stations. They're just into wind farms as far as I'm aware.

But Southern Energy have said that they intend to build a new power station in Lerwick at some point.

Guest Anonymous

VE SE makes no differance the current proposal is for an oil fired station in LK and not a gas fired ststion at sullom many varied excuses as to why that is but that is their proposal.

I think one of the differences concerning the peat issue re the wind farm and Total's plans is that Total on the one hand have actually stated how they intend to store the peat and put it back (albeit more information has been requested) whereas, if my understanding is correct, VE have just stated that they will "manage" the peat but having actually outlined how.

but VE want to build another oil fired station here and not utilise the gas comming ashore at Sullom

The difference, sheepyboy, is that any backup station built by SSE as part of the VE project will be exactly that. A backup station, which will only be used if the interconnector gets broken. Basically it will be mothballed and only run for a couple of hours once a month or so just to keep it in working order.

Clean energy should be provided at as local a level as possible with minimum disruption to the surrounding environment , to have to mine and process thousands of tonnes of copper ore using vast amounts of fossil fuels , and use up vast amounts of fossil fuel energy to put in place an extension lead from a remote island to citties far away to harness the power of a few windmills that will not be providing any power during high winds ( quite often ) and calm periods (now and again) is totally ridiculous !

Even a retarded gibbon would see the folly of such an idea !

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy