Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

At last, a sensible use for wind turbines. Storing energy in the form of hot water.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2010/11/18/three-huge-wind-turbines-at-heart-of-plan-for-gremista-thermal-store

I think this is a brilliant plan.

Or have I missed something, since most folk here seem to think that electricity from wind is the only way forward?

There was a guy who had a great plan to use hot water generated by waves on huge Super Super Tankers ships, I will have to look at that again, hope he does not work for viking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

those three turbines are nothing to do with viking. its just a strange coinsidence that its the same people honest. yes the moon is made out of green cheese.

he was in the papers leters last week. so who knows he may visit us again. however what they propose works and is used in lots of halls and schools its just an bigger version.

how much is this going to cost for a hundred or so homes extra. what energy loss is there between production and storage and use. just intrested.

what energy loss is there between production and storage and use. just intrested.

According to the table at the bottom of page 5 of this document (District heating 1995 - 2008) less than 10% is lost in transmission.

http://www.nve.no/global/energi/analyser/energi%20i%20norge%20folder/energy%20in%20norway%202009%20edition.pdf

Dr Birnie advised Viking Energy to determine the actual area of bare peat in these scenarios and estimate carbon losses for them. This they apparently failed to do, instead assuming that the whole site was bare peat in their carbon payback calculations.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/November/letters/Other%20ways%20of%20restoring%20peat.htm

They assumed the whole site was bare peat??? Well that explains how they got the results they wanted, I suppose.

i think it would be good if they wind mills went up be able to see allot more of Shetland???

Welcome Skeld88. You have raised another positive point re the wind farm. With more tracks through the hills it will be much easier for walkers & cyclists to explore more remote areas that otherwise they would never even get close to.

Anybody been up the road to Burradale lately?

Nobody?

Maybe the signs put people off...

"unauthorised persons prohibited"

"private access"

"no unauthorised vehicles"

"no dogs"

There are more tourists that go to Spain & Portugal than Shetland and their economies are struggling.

Maybe renewable energy would be a better way to make money for Shetland.

I reckon using these icy north winds to make our hooses warm and comfy would be something worthwhile doing.

Dr Birnie advised Viking Energy to determine the actual area of bare peat in these scenarios and estimate carbon losses for them. This they apparently failed to do, instead assuming that the whole site was bare peat in their carbon payback calculations.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2010/November/letters/Other%20ways%20of%20restoring%20peat.htm

They assumed the whole site was bare peat??? Well that explains how they got the results they wanted, I suppose.

No, crofter, this is just another example of the anti-windfarm lobby's lies.

What VE actually said was 67% of the ground which will be disturbed during the construction process is degraded peat.

When I think of Shetland in fifty years or so, and the damage which will be caused by the Viking wind farm the view of Google Earth map of Haiti and Dominican Repubic come to mind. One half of the island is lush and fertile, the other barren and desolate.

If this sceme goes ahead, in time more wind turbines will be built (to pay for the the level of services we now/will enjoy?), then what? neuclear power stations and more wind turbines - after all the beast, the interconnector, must be kept fed.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy