Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

i was meaning the laying of an extra cable. still won't be hundreds of millions extra

Sub sea DC cables with a capacity of 2,000MW are

technically feasible although the highest underwater capacity

cable planned at present is 1,200MW. No practical limits of

distance, the longest distance is currently 580km

your looking at $100 per meter plus.

so 300 miles equals 450000m

so roughly 30 million plus. for the cable. and a lot more for the laying but not hundreds of millions. and again we won't be paying

^^ Seeing as VE is the only currently known interested exporter through said cable, and you can bet your boots that SSE will want to recoup their investment plus a profit from the cable venture, we most certainly will be paying for it, through the charges SSE levies on VE to use it.

No, I think you're wrong about this one. The cable will be part of the National Grid, so it will be subject to the same charges as the rest of the grid. These charges are currently under review as they are biased against generating sources a long distance from markets, but it's the current charging regime which the revenue calculations have used.

However its done, we're still paying for it. VE has an outlay to use the cable, hence SCT will end up with less profits in the bottom line. Having it set nationally as opposed to a direct agreement with SSE may see lower charges, but its really only turning a shorter intense pain in to a lengthy dull ache.

I would have a great deal more faith in everything concerning VE if they were to produce harder numbers and firmer facts.

As it is we're told this is a dead cert, as "everyone" is doing it, and look, here's the answer to the sums we did of how much we'll make. To paraphrase numerous schoolteachers, any damn fool can come up with a good answer to a sum, but to believe in the accuracy and integrity of that answer requires the workings to be seen and checked.

In addition to the actual windmills, of which information is thin enough on the ground, we have this cable, and the converter station, both big ticket buys, with potentially significant running and/or repair/maintenance costs that we don't yet know much of anything about. Both have the potential to severely affect both the profitability of VE, and the quality of the Shetland electric supply, its not good enough just to suoppose this and that about them, we need to know at least the basic mechanics of how it is planned they will operate, and how much they may shave off any profits that may be generated.

VE have done to death the how "pretty" it all will be, how "green" it all will be, and hypnotised with massive flashing pound signs those who can be blined by such. Unfortunately for them, none of those really cut it with me. I would hope that I am a realist, and as such I can only be anti-VE until and unless more detailed broken down financial figures are furnished which can be reviewed for realism and accuracy, and an at least basic technical overview of how VE + converter station + cable + back up power station is planned to work, and who is is responsible for paying what. Its all being dumped in out backyard, we're being expected to cover 45% of the cheque for a good chunk of it at least, and we will be relying on it all for our power once its operational. With that much at stake, I don't think its unreasonable to expect to be fully informed before backing it.

^^^^ The question: Has anyone got a time scale for when we will know the decision of whether this goes ahead or not., has been aswered by Viking Energy themselves, when they said in their Windylights brochure that the project would not go ahead if the people don't want it.

They don't want it.

If VE (our councillors/SCT trustees) don't believe that, they should call for a Sheland-wide poll, then there will be no dispute. It should not be their, VE, decision to decide upon our future - not should it be up to nameless and faceless bureaucrats 'sooth', many of whom probably don't even know where Shetland is.

^^^^ The question: Has anyone got a time scale for when we will know the decision of whether this goes ahead or not., has been aswered by Viking Energy themselves, when they said in their Windylights brochure that the project would not go ahead if the people don't want it.

They don't want it.

If VE (our councillors/SCT trustees) don't believe that, they should call for a Sheland-wide poll, then there will be no dispute. It should not be their, VE, decision to decide upon our future - not should it be up to nameless and faceless bureaucrats 'sooth', many of whom probably don't even know where Shetland is.

Why would our counclors want a poll.

This new bunch don’t believe in democracy, ( I have seen no sign of it yet)

Most are just a bunch of old duffers

Some years back when they did have a voting system.

One fell a sleep in meeting and then woke up and vote twice! yes and then no

On the same subject

The way that the wind farm project is being pushed forward by the council makes me think that Shetland has become a dictatorship.

Perhaps in the same way that many middle easy countries have suffered for many decades.

Egypt, Libya, Bahrain. etc.. are now rising up against the dictators. Perhaps it's time for Shetlanders to rise up against the oppression of the SIC.

Shetland spades and muck forks at the ready, lets storm the bastions of the town hall.

:lol: :lol:

And, as usual the mods will delete this because I've offended their lords and masters,,, the SIC

[ian Marchant, the chief executive of Scottish & Southern Energy re; VE.]“The project is a robust economically viable project. It will go ahead. The community ownership is a key plus from my point of view, but the project will go ahead, it does not stand or fall.

“And if the community says it does not want to put in its money, or just want to take a royalty, then that’s acceptable. It is not a problem".

Look at that, handed on a plate, and in peerie wirds that even the dimmest of the bunch can understand, but will our venerable SCT trustees have enough wit to roll with it.

Hold out for a damn good royalty, let SSE foot the bill, take the risks, and we pocket the cash for letting them. Simples.

Ironically this is the next paragraph in the report.

Referring to Shetland’s long standing involvement with the oil and gas industry, Mr Marchant added that from his prospective the local community was good and experienced in making the right decisions.

Damn right we did. Negotiated a deal with them to use the site, and left them to get on with it while we pocketed their cash for letting them. We, at that time, had enough wit NOT to venture in to thinking about financing and running half of the Sullom terminal. Seemingly we've lost that wit since, or been blinded by greed like a compulsive gambler.

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2011/February/news/Viking%20the%20right%20thing%20for%20Shetland%20-%20Marchant.htm

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy