Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

To stop the lights going out in the UK in the future, gas and nuclear as we don't YET have acess to geo-thermal.

Wind is useless and wave and tidal is decades off to be of any useful scale.

Gas is a fossil fuel, and do you really think we could build enough new nuclear to make any difference in anything less than decades? And for anything less than the cost of the equivalent renewables?

(Hint: We would have to build the industry capable of building the nukes first)

I rather like the clean coal power stations meself.

Clean coal? There's no such thing.

The prototypes so far built, if scaled up to the size necessary to make a difference will use 40%-60% of the power stations output, which means you need two power stations where you once had one and will have to burn twice as much coal to get the same output, which doubles the energy cost straight off the bat. (And I haven't even mentioned the extra maintenance and infrastructure cost of the carbon capture gear and of pumping the carbon across the country and out to the oilfields it would have to be stored in. Better to leave the carbon in the ground in the first place)

It'll never happen because it is financial and environmental insanity.

Current production forecasts from the West of Shetland fields mean that gas should be getting piped into Shetland for much longer than the 25 year lifespan of the VE wind farm. These forecasts tend to be on the conservative side, the ones from the the East of Shetland certainly were. New technologies develop which allow further reserves to be squeezed out of existing wells. A clean gas burning power station would be a big improvement on shipping in diesel.

The thing is, if we burn even just the known reserves, without taking into account new developments and discoveries, we will be so far into the danger zone of catastrophic climate change that there will be no way back, so to assume that production in the North Sea will continue even for just the life of the windfarm is a mistake.

Using gas as a bridge fuel over the next twenty years to replace coal while we build up our renewable portfolio (solar, wind and tidal) is something we could just about get away with. Planning on using gas after that is madness. Regardless of how much is still in the ground.

thanks AT i was going to use that stat.

yes i would be quite happy to have one near my house. if they want to build one near me or on my croft then thats fine. we used to live within a few miles of one and we used to pass through it every couple of days and its quite an impressive sight. and the wildlife was healthier there than in the surrounding areas as the company had restored the area around it. you were alway sure to see more birds of pray there as well. they had sheep around them at it did not bothere them at all.

what turbines have you experinced in london unlink. i dont recall there being many.

unlink just to be clear there is no clean coal tech that works. its at an earlier stage than sea based energy. and there has been cuts in its research.

But AT you keep harping on about the need to reduce our carbon footprint and windfarms just do not achieve this at any level. You will say that the grid needs to be modified for this to happen so let the powers that be modify the grid and when that is done then we should look at building a windfarm, but not on the top of the hills for christ sake. If we must have one then i would suggest Papa Stour not much soil and no peat.

But by the time the grid is capable of accepting wind energy without coal, gas or nuclear back up running constantly windmills will be a mere memory in some of the olders folks minds.

The fact is that building this windfarm will not reduce the UKs carbon footprint by even one gram and by building it on blanket bog will actually make it a carbon producer. but you are too damn blinkered to realize this. You bitterness towards the oil industry that rejected you is blinding you to the obvious that this scheme is all about making money for the few and to hell with every one else.

Even if this and other windfarms was to reduce the UKs carbon output to zero which it never will then it would still be a waste of time money and effort because the rest of the world is going to carry on increasing their carbon footprint at a rate that outstrips anything we can ever hope to achieve.

So we get to your claim that if carbon emissions are not reduced right now then we are heading for catastrophic global warming well if your right and I am not for one minute saying you are but if you are then we are wasting our time building it anyway for the reason stated, That globally emissions are rising and will continue to do so.

If we must spend our money then lets spend it on an ark and stock it with enough tinned food to see future generations of Shetlanders through the impending apocalypse, a wild idea but much more sense than destroying our islands just to make a few wigwams richer.

The fact is your hysterical rantings are exactly the reason why we shouldn't build the damn thing, because they are just that hysterical rantings.

yet again peat monkeys and rocket science

Explain, why you would want to teach monkeys rocket science, if you are talking space rockets, they have already been to space, before man, or are you talking salad?

Growing rocket will not really need any science explained. I am sure monkeys could be shown that.

Companies are using alternative energies to sustain themselves, sometimes in a mix. It would seem good practice. Even a monkey would work that out.

unsustainable subsidy being paid out at the moment that may soon end.

Soon?

Where did you find that out? The GOV are up for it for the next few years, it will drop, as installation prices drop. The industry also employs thousands of people, a new factory to be built in Scotland as well.

Folk will still save and will still install even if the tariffs fell to 0. With the cost of oil and other fossil fuels set to rise as it becomes more riskier to obtain them and therefore more expensive, they will still be developed.

The monkey thing was fun, thanx for starting it.

Shale gas peat, shale gas as it becomes available prices will drop and drop dramatically. As for oil getting harder to reach well technology is making it easier all the time.

But of course I should take lessons on the oil industry from you because you googled it.

speaking of google look at google hong kong if you want an example of what you call racism but me and every chinese person I've met out here thinks is rather amusing.

unsustainable subsidy being paid out at the moment that may soon end.

Soon?

Where did you find that out? The GOV are up for it for the next few years, it will drop, as installation prices drop. The industry also employs thousands of people, a new factory to be built in Scotland as well.

Folk will still save and will still install even if the tariffs fell to 0. With the cost of oil and other fossil fuels set to rise as it becomes more riskier to obtain them and therefore more expensive, they will still be developed. ...

But we're not saving, are we? We're paying for the subsidies via our lekky bills. ROCs have already dropped their subsidies so despite being guaranteed for 15 years, the actual amounts are NOT (Edit: oops, missed out 'not') guaranteed. Are you suggesting that we'll have the same Government for the next 25 years and that they won't bring in legislation to change these subsidies?

Vesta, if that is the turbines to be used, have already been pulled up in the USA Courts for "creative accounting". They have had lots of Court cases against them - what would happen if they went bust?

unlinked said :- what would happen if they went bust?

Outlook for S & S not that great either with the amount of cable faults here at the deep south. I really dunna think they can afford that interconnector.

:wink:

Today :-

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/beenister/sumbpwr1.jpg

I spoke to Cllr Nickerson the other day. He told me that they couldn't be forced to sell the 50% share. He also said that OFGEM had agreed to granting a subsidiary of SSE a licence and the go ahead for the interconnector IF there was a production farm at the end of it. (Now at no stage did he state the interconnector and the wind farm would be built simultaneously)

Now the above begs the question - how come I can't find anything of this confirmation by OFGEM on their website and when did they agree to this? Perish the thought that this is another situation (Like the Housing funding matter that the Flea is chasing) whereby nothing has been put in writing? I was under (perhaps the false) impression that certain loops had to be jumped through/paperwork completed and so forth before a licence could be granted, interconnector approved, etc.

Re the 50% share. If they can't be forced to sell the share, why the mad dash for cash? Or is it a case that they signed an agreement stating that so much dosh/expenditure would be provided by Viking Energy say within X days of permission being granted by the Energy Minister and if not, we would lose a certain percentage of the share? That brings into debate as to when the agreement to this was actually signed. Did SCT/Viking ever tell the public this?

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy