Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

Oooh Cameron unhappy:-

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2736276/

And look what SSE have also done:-

" Call for windfarm restitution

Credit: Alan Richardson, The Courier & Advertiser, 21 April 2012 ~~

Residents living along the construction route for the Calliacher windfarm should be compensated for the effect it is having on their lives, a local councillor has claimed.

Councillor Barbara Vaughan reacted angrily to news that Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) will spread the £160,000 community benefit fund from the scheme among projects across Perth and Kinross.

SSE said half of the cash will go to the communities immediately around the 14-turbine scheme at Amulree, with the rest placed in a regional fund.

The decision has been greeted with derision by some locals and Mrs Vaughan said those affected by the heavy traffic from the A9 to the construction site — already suffering from the Griffin windfarm nearby — will be particularly unimpressed.

The Conservative Strathtay member said: “The announcement… is disappointing to say the least.

“It is important that everyone realises that this largesse is not paid for by SSE but by a subsidy every one of us is obliged to pay in our electricity bills.

“This hits the elderly and those on low incomes the hardest. In the present economic climate the Scottish Government could do well to consider ensuring that compensation is paid to those directly affected by windfarms and that electricity bills are not increased to chase goals that are unlikely to be achieved.

“Strathbraan is a very robust community. There are many thriving small businesses heavily reliant on tourism for their existence.

“They are the people who suffered very considerable inconvenience from the building of the Griffin windfarm and will suffer again from the construction of Calliacher.â€

Locals claim their homes and businesses were blighted by the regular movements of materials and wind turbine components along the narrow A822 during the construction of Griffin last year.

Similar plans are in place for the forthcoming Calliacher development.

“The traffic management scheme proposed by SSE for Calliacher again makes this route the one that will bear an unacceptable load of traffic,†Mrs Vaughan added.

“They will again suffer the same difficulties for businesses, school runs and the normal elements of life such as shopping and arranging medical appointments.

“What has been missed in the whole of this sorry saga is that these people have to put up with the difficulties associated with abnormal loads, many HGVS travelling up and down the Strath every day and wood lorries taking timber away from the site.

“Strathbraan residents have not, and will not, receive one penny in compensation.

“Tourism in this area relies heavily on people valuing the rugged scenery of the mountains and valleys.

“Increasingly, questions are being asked as to whether spoiling this by building windfarms is a price worth paying for a form of renewable energy that is unreliable and inconsistent.""

Perish the thought that SSE have any community at heart.

AT, I really was under the impression you had a sense of humour; obviously I'm wrong.

Sorry, but that wasn't funny. I've been getting crap like that for years from the idiot I mentioned above, I don't need it from others too.

AT, you always bleat on about how wonderful wind farms are and as I said, I THOUGHT you had a sense of humour. NOT ONCE have I said you should go out and get a job, etc., just thought given your so-called knowledge on windfarms that you would see it as a joke and even (For those who are windfarm supporters which I most definitely am not), a compliment.

It was light hearted. I apologise for the fact that I thought you had a sense of humour.

AT wrote

Are you talking about Burradale here? The overall efficiency of Burradale is 52% over the ten years of operation. I got that information from one of the Burradale owners, David Thomson, I think. Unfortunately I can't find the actual e-mail (my a/c got hacked a while back and a bunch of stuff got deleted).

Shetland Aerogenerators Ltd developed, owns and operates the Burradale Windfarm. Burradale is one of the most productive windfarms in the world with a recorded capacity factor* of 52%. The high productivity is due to Shetland's unique wind resource. Energy from Burradale flows to Lerwick Power Station where it then contributes to meeting Shetland's energy demand.

*Calculated from the original three turbines over a three year period.

So AT who is right you or their disclaimer

That is straight off their website

Can anyone explain the VE advert on page 22 of the Shetland Times?

It makes it sound as if there is £30 million estimated income ON TOP of the £20 million to the Charitable Trust. Have I missed something?

I believe the correct term would be 'propaganda'.

AT wrote

Are you talking about Burradale here? The overall efficiency of Burradale is 52% over the ten years of operation. I got that information from one of the Burradale owners, David Thomson, I think. Unfortunately I can't find the actual e-mail (my a/c got hacked a while back and a bunch of stuff got deleted).

Shetland Aerogenerators Ltd developed, owns and operates the Burradale Windfarm. Burradale is one of the most productive windfarms in the world with a recorded capacity factor* of 52%. The high productivity is due to Shetland's unique wind resource. Energy from Burradale flows to Lerwick Power Station where it then contributes to meeting Shetland's energy demand.

*Calculated from the original three turbines over a three year period.

So AT who is right you or their disclaimer

That is straight off their website

Both could be right no?

In my mind no what is the point of a disclaimer if not to hide the truth.

That figure has been online for a good few years now. Just because they haven't updated it doesn't mean that it's any different now. The point of the disclaimer is to highlight that it is a low sample period and could change.

Whilst on the subject of access, has anyone ever heard if VE will allow anyone onto the wind farm roads? Can anyone point me to info on this?

If I had to guess, I don't think anyone will be driving to the lochs or to check out the views from the hill tops.

Burradale do not allow "unauthorised" access. Or dogs.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj4/crofterpics/roadtoBurradale.jpg

So why hae it not been updated, if it was as good or better I am sure they would have been crowing from the roof tops.

And why the disclaimer if there was no other data.

Why update it? It's aready better than any other farm. They don't have to release any of their data if they don't want to. It was just some good publicity at the time.

After the 3 years that was all the data they had. 3 years is well short of what is regarded as a large enough statistical sample. The disclaimer just states that for everybody to know.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy