Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

I find it difficult to understand how anyone can support Viking Energy in terms of size, ecological impact, proximity, health etc. (IMO)

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion. Personally, I can't see how anyone can object to the VE windfarm in terms of size (half the size of a similarly productive windfarm built elsewhere), ecological impact (negligible), proximity (within the guidelines) and health (no provable health impacts anywhere in the world), but thats just my opinion.

..., but I can understand how promises of massive profits sway people into support for covering the isles with wind turbines.

Ha!, this is a hilarious one. "sustainable" Shetland campaigned so hard to get the windfarm stopped. They succeeded in getting the size reduced, and now they're surprised that others have moved in with plans for lots of small windfarms covering the isles to take up the spare capacity in the cable.

What the hell else did they expect?

The wealth creators hardly came out in droves when asked by wsg to show their support... maybe most of them are intelligent enough to realise that such promises are unrealistic. People who object have genuine grounds right now, but what are the grounds for mass support? is it the huge profits promised? or perhaps there is actually nothing to support at the moment and people need to wait for better proof of financial viability (meanwhile Ofgem, Lewis subsea cable, VE changing all its directors amongst other things makes viability look increasingly tenuous).

There are a number of prominent local businessmen and women in the WSG, but the majority of members I met were supporters because they understood the dangers of climate change and the urgent need to mitigate these dangers.

My support of the windfarm was never about the money. The money was just a nice bonus.

My support of the windfarm was never about the money. The money was just a nice bonus.

You must be one of the few. I was asked to provide some figures when Viking was first being developed to see if it was financially viable. If there was no money in it it would never have got as far as it has. Saving the planet was just a convenient excuse for making money.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion. Personally, I can't see how anyone can object to the VE windfarm in terms of size (half the size of a similarly productive windfarm built elsewhere), ecological impact (negligible), proximity (within the guidelines) and health (no provable health impacts anywhere in the world), but thats just my opinion.

Guidelines not legal limits sadly. And guidelines that get applied on a case by case basis. And you wonder why people object. Good example of shaddow flicker mentioned above. You might dismiss this case as isolated in relation to Burradale, but you can't deny that it is indicative of a bigger problem for Viking Energy (ie bigger turbines, wider spread, proximity to houses a real issue, seasonal angle of sun significance). lets hope that the HIA covers this well enough to assess the real impact on neighbours.

Ha!, this is a hilarious one. "sustainable" Shetland campaigned so hard to get the windfarm stopped. They succeeded in getting the size reduced, and now they're surprised that others have moved in with plans for lots of small windfarms covering the isles to take up the spare capacity in the cable.

What the hell else did they expect?

Concerns of enlargement were expressed long ago when the proposed size in terms of the number of turbines was much bigger. You only have to look at the trend on the mainland where permission is granted for turbines and often, before construction of the first turbines, a second application for more turbines is submitted. There was a classic example of this on some MSPs website a few years ago where the local community went through an arduous public enquiry before permission was granted only to find an application for more turbines/enlargement was submitted very soon thereafter. I've been trying to find the link, but can't right now (I'll edit this post if I do). [ed]Enlargement is to be expected regardless of the size of the VE windfarm, therefore so does continued objection[/ed]

Objectors are campaigning to have it stopped, not reduced in size... they've not succeeded, so of course they are surprised (or disappointed more like)!

I don't think it matters what size Viking ends up with, there will always be the issue of enlargement. It's obvious. Nothing to do with what objectors achieve. Developers want to maximise profits and everyone in that line of business, who thinks they can make a fast buck, wants to jump on the band wagon. If it's built, it will not stop at 103 turbines... that'll just be the start of it. I don't think many people are naive enough to think otherwise.

There are a number of prominent local businessmen and women in the WSG, but the majority of members I met were supporters because they understood the dangers of climate change and the urgent need to mitigate these dangers.

I applaud you for not being motivated by money as far as your support is concerned. But money and profit is what this is all about.

I could introduce you to many objectors who understand the dangers of climate change and the need to mitigate these dangers. Many of them local business men and women or wealth creators, but they are no more special in terms of the views they express on VE than other respectable, intelligent, well educated local residents that I know.

But it is all about money and business and profit. The letter sent by the wsg to "wealth creators" asks them to set aside their personal feelings and think about Viking as a business and the substantial income it offers. It made absolutely no mention of climate change or building on blanket bog or whimbrel, it was just about money. The vast majority of wealth creators did not respond... that speaks volumes to me about the lack of support for such views as expressed by the wsg (IMO!).

It is about money, but no one is talking about money in relation to Viking, certainly not in public... back to cost reflective charging, ofgem, escalation in cost of the Lewis subsea cable, 10% reduction in subsidies, 100 tory mps urging further subsidy cuts, financial viability.

• 1 month later...

I downloaded some information from Companies House on Viking Energy. The SCT bought the Burradale shares to give it 100% ownership of Viking Energy Ltd. However it then formed a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) and the Burradale shareholders (in the form of a company called Viking Wind Ltd). This LLP is called Viking Energy Shetland LLP.

In turn Viking Energy Shetland LLP have formed a partnership with SSE Viking Ltd to work with the windfarm.

The reason for forming a LLP is that it makes working with tax much easier. As a partner the SCT will pay no tax on any income from the LLP.

I would think the reason for forming a partnership with SSE is confidentiality. An ordinary partnership (as ooposed to an LLP) only has to file accounts with the tax man, they are not publically available.

if true i dont like the sound of it. im pro viking but secrecy makes me nervous.

Where have you been over the last few years?

GL SS with the judicial review - perhaps us mere mortals will finally get some of the answers we've been asking for yonks.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy