Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

My favourite line in bold...

From 2010:

Lord Oxburgh is chairman of Falck Renewables, a builder of windfarms with six projects in operation or under construction in the UK alone. Falck Renewables is a subsidiary of Falck Group, a Milan based company that has built windfarms in Calabria and Sicily that have been part of an anti-Mafia investigation. Some of the windfarms, including one near Corleone, were completed quite some time ago, but haven't been connected to the grid. However, generous EU subsidies were forthcoming nonetheless. One project in Minervino Murge was the subject of an anti Mafia investigation that led to several arrests.

Italian and EU subsidies for the building of wind farms and the world’s highest guaranteed rates, €180 ($240, £160) per kwh, for the electricity they produce have turned southern Italy into a highly attractive market exploited by organised crime

Wind energy has become big business and it's growing in a hurry. Lots of shady people are getting involved, in no small part because of government subsidies for both construction and feed in tariffs for green electricity.

Falck Group was in financial difficulties due to the cancellation of the big incinerator deal. Falck Renewables in the UK was developing wind deals in southern Italy that were generating important cash flow.

I'll repeat here that I have no evidence linking Oxburgh or his company to the mafia--even honest companies in Italy can't get far away from the mafia and can be surprised when they are linked in an investigation. I have interviewed none of the principals in this story, which would be the first course of action for an investigative reporter, which I am not. I am an opinion commentator who happens to read Italian, having lived there for seven years.

http://thesequal.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=climate&action=print&thread=332

As with many campaigns against micro turbines and larger schemes, the protester will often plant infertile seeds in order to create some doubt. This happens in nearly all cases. What they forget is much of this relies on planning laws. So if a protester thinks something will not be profitable it has no bearing on planning objections. Alas, in this case, there is a large amount of public money involved, it seems the only objection is wildlife.

With the £67 billion and rising the cost of cleaning up past "alternative" sources of energy and the ongoing campaign against storage, we seem to be running out of options. Not forgetting the big electricity companies pulling out of nuclear. If you read the report on nuclear contamination of British Waters, it all looks OK, there are trends happening, I am sure you too will see this if you were to look yourself. So when you can see vast areas being blighted by the "alternative", and the debates it ensues, I wonder what this campaigns goals really are. I guess, about those who shout the loudest.

not sure were your coming from peat. just news to us that burradales turbines are owned by a large italian company. that has had links with some other less ethical business men.

this does nothing to make me question that viking is a good idea,

however burradale and SSE have a lot of connections with the above firm. its reasonable to ask who will actually own them. SSE seems to be well in bed with this firm.

I think its reasonable to ask what involvement this italian firm will have in viking.

are SSE planning on building them and then selling them to the above firm then act as operator as they do in a number of other sites in the uk.

what protection is there from us getting mixed with the gents from deep southern italy

better point to the untrue statements then.

fact the italian firm owns loads of wind farms

fact it was involved in a incinerator costing 4 billion euros that had a very large organized crime element involved with it.

fact the wind turbine industry in italy has been penetrated in a large way with the Mafia.

fact this firm bought some of these farms.

fact in there statement they claim to own the turbines at burradale.

fact SSE run a lot of turbines that are owned by them.

fact the chair of this firm is an ex oil man who chaired the inquiry into the dodgy data from the global warming side.

so questioning who will be involved in viking in the end is a very valid question.

its fine being a partner with SSE but im not so keen to have this firm involved in it.

asking what the owners of burradale borrowed money from the trust for if they don't own the turbines is a reasonable question also.

plus its the people of shetland's money so we are right to question everything even if everything is ok. big firms don''t just dish out tons of cash without questions being asked.

Perhaps it would be good to look at this as a question of self-reliance.

Would having the mills up promote greater self-reliance in Shetland? Would we have "first dibs" on the generated power?

Insomuch as the present scheme puts power into the hands of off-shore interests, I think that would be a bad thing. If it can't be kept "in-house" and is effectively in the hands of foreigners for their own benefit, it shouldn't happen.

If the Viking farm can be crafted to be (as much as possible) in the hands of Shetland, I think it is a good idea. Shetland generated power for Shetland homes and businesses first, than an excess can be sold off. I think the preservation of Shetland as a viable and self-productive place is paramount.

Hopefully, it isn't a matter of simply selling off the power and then having to buy it back to provide for our own needs. Of course, the mechanics (electrons) don't actually work that way, but the economics do.

@ Coyote

Viking Energy has nothing to do with self reliance and everything about grabbing a quick buck by jumping on a band wagon. Viking themselves admit all the power will be exported.

Without Viking, we weon't get the interconnector. Without the interconnector, we won't get tidal energy generators. The amount of energy moving through Bluemull Sound twice a day is immense. If we can harness that and export it south, it's a completely reliable source of power that could be exported and generate huge revenues for the islands for generations to come.

@ Coyote

Viking Energy has nothing to do with self reliance and everything about grabbing a quick buck by jumping on a band wagon. Viking themselves admit all the power will be exported.

Sorry, MJ, but you're just wrong about that:

http://www.vikingenergy.co.uk/your-questions-answered.asp#Q12

And anyway, the Interconnector makes our local grid part of the National Grid, so we will be like any other part of the UK grid.

Sorry AT but your wrong and MJ is right our local grid will be just a spur on the national grid unless it is way upgraded That is why no more schemes are allowed just now.

Its like the hydro upgrading your cable into the meter, it does not mean you can add anything you want to your ring mains or lighting circuits

if its near capacity.

Sorry AT but your wrong and MJ is right our local grid will be just a spur on the national grid unless it is way upgraded That is why no more schemes are allowed just now.

Its like the hydro upgrading your cable into the meter, it does not mean you can add anything you want to your ring mains or lighting circuits

if its near capacity.

not quite true they are allowing systems of 3.5kw to be added. quite a few have been in the last few months. our remaing in theory 1.4 gets dumped into a heater.

and yes our local grid does need work.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy