Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

^ Yes, perhaps now, but how long and with how much bickering did it take to achieve that.

They declared independence in 1916, but only established any formal relations with N.I. in 1999. 83 years of persona non gratia.

If as is being mooted Scotland will not have EU membership without going through the whole application process in its own right, the EU "open borders" to trade and travel won't even be available to the English/Scottish border.

Yes, it *could* be a wholly open border exactly as it is now, or equally it *could" be as tight as the one between north and south Korea, or at any point between those two extremes. That is the point, nobody, either Joe Public or business can know until everything is signed and sealed, and any business relying on crossing that border to trade would be wise to be cautious until such things are settled.

I could not help but notice the latest public rant by JW on the shetland News website.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/letters/6801-sabotage-of-local-public-interests

It does nothing to enhance his reputation as a senior councillor or a responsible? Trustee.

Again he bangs on about Trustees taking the 'best possible' advice before making a descision. I seem to remember, not so long ago, that the Trustees decided to ignore the advice of the Councils own Planning Department who recommended refusal of the VE planning application. What does that say about how Trustees / Councillors regard the competence of their own officials?

One consequence of ignoring that advice is alresdy evident. Had they followed this advice the likley hood is that a Public enquiry would have been triggered. The windfarm debate would have been properly brought into the open public domain which woud have been no bad thing; AND he would not now have the 'evil saboteurs' from Sustainable Shetland in the High Court trying to achieve the exact same thing.

We must hope that there are no more serious consequences (particularly for the environment of Shetland) waiting to hit us in the future.

I agree, the environmental consequences and other concerns that motivate objectors need to remain a central part of this debate.

"concerted tirade of abuse"

I would be very surprised and disappointed if that were true.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

con·cert·ed

Adjective

Jointly arranged, planned, or carried out; coordinated.

Strenuously carried out; done with great effort.

The integrated UK grid he mentions is actually being expanded and there are plans in progress to build an integrated European Supergrid possibly extending as far as Iceland. The idea that England would cut the cables at the border if Scotland voted for Independence is nonsense.

And hasn't part of that supergrid already fallen to the wayside? Didn't Norway pull out?

I haven't heard anything to that effect. Would you care to provide a reference?

SSE withdraws from Scotland to Norway electricity project

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-21673299

^ Yes, perhaps now, but how long and with how much bickering did it take to achieve that.

They declared independence in 1916, but only established any formal relations with N.I. in 1999. 83 years of persona non gratia.

If as is being mooted Scotland will not have EU membership without going through the whole application process in its own right, the EU "open borders" to trade and travel won't even be available to the English/Scottish border.

Yes, it *could* be a wholly open border exactly as it is now, or equally it *could" be as tight as the one between north and south Korea, or at any point between those two extremes. That is the point, nobody, either Joe Public or business can know until everything is signed and sealed, and any business relying on crossing that border to trade would be wise to be cautious until such things are settled.

isle of man channel isles are outside of the eu yet there is free travel between them and the uk. there are too many scots in england and vise versa for anything but. why would they not be friendly are the two states of the former Czechoslovakia not friendly.

^ Yes, I'm not arguing that "perfect" arrangements don't exist in some places. The point I'm making is, until and unless such arrangements are signed and sealed, nothing can be taken for granted, and anyone or anything who could be potentially harmed by such disruptions should they occur would be wise to play safe meantime.

The status and numbers of the populations either side of the border are irrelevant if the political will is otherwise. To cite an extreme example; the Berlin Wall.

The integrated UK grid he mentions is actually being expanded and there are plans in progress to build an integrated European Supergrid possibly extending as far as Iceland. The idea that England would cut the cables at the border if Scotland voted for Independence is nonsense.

And hasn't part of that supergrid already fallen to the wayside? Didn't Norway pull out?

Whilst you may disagree with the author's suggestions, wouldn't it be fair to say that there is nothing at this stage in the game to say what would happen after independence? Why would England pay for it when they could buy energy from Ireland? Can Scotland afford to pay for it?

No it would not be fair to say. The idea that the National Grid would rip it's integrated network in half just to spite the Nats is patently ludicrous, unlinked.

You're trolling this thread now just like you do so many others.

Stop it.

AT, see Mucklejoannie's post - it was SSE pulling out, not Norway, although I do recall reading at the time there was something about at least one of the Norwegian companies pulling out. There is nothing on North Connect's website, however.

Part of the National Grid could disappear just like the privately owned oil refineries disappeared in Venezuela but you appear to be missing the point - the interconnector doesn't yet exist so ISN'T part of the National Grid. Penny dropped yet?

Troll? I think I've been on the climate change thread once or twice, if that. Just because someone contributes more than others on certain threads doesn't make them a troll.

^ Yes, I'm not arguing that "perfect" arrangements don't exist in some places. The point I'm making is, until and unless such arrangements are signed and sealed, nothing can be taken for granted, and anyone or anything who could be potentially harmed by such disruptions should they occur would be wise to play safe meantime.

You're 'farting against thunder' (or is it 'thundering against farts'..) :D

Perhaps not pulled out entirely yet, but reported on 17th March to be a likely prospect if Norwegian proposals were followed through to conclusion. NorthConnect can hardly be what could be called a healthy prospect as long as these Norskie proposals remain open.

Ødd Oygarden, chairman of NorthConnect, the consortium behind the interconnector between Peterhead and western Norway, said cancelling the project was a "possible development" if Oslo's proposal to put state-controlled grid operator Statnett in charge of all Norwegian interconnector projects comes to fruition.

Statnett currently has no interest in NorthConnect, but this has prompted fears it would prioritise interconnector projects in which it does have a stake – including its North Sea Network (NSN) joint venture with National Grid south of the Border. NSN proposes to build a line between Northumberland and Western Norway, which would potentially allow the rest of the UK to dominate green energy exporting in the event that Scotland voted for independence.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/company-news/norway-could-break-scots-green-energy-link.20516762

So at long last the truth about the viability of the monstrosity of a windfarm comes out......instead of erecting , say, another 20-30 turbines like they have in tingwall (already proven to be the most succesful in the world ) to provide our electricity needs.

Can we get our £10 million that was invested back / or will it be the same balls up as the norrona....again ? :roll:

Mind, if folk want the fishing to help improve Shetland, could still go back to fish oil lamps.

Fish oil is too valuable to burn.

A new report says Shetland provides the government with 82 million more than it receives each year.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2013/05/23/billion-pound-local-economy-grew-steadily-amid-global-turmoil-says-new-study

The so-called “exchequer balance†(the difference between government revenue and government expenditure) showed Shetland generated a net benefit of £82 million, up £5 million on the 2003 figure.

Quite a bit of that surplus comes from fish.

Nearly 30 per cent of economic output came from fisheries

Sadly, not enough to sustain folk on Shetland in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to if the isles were to go it alone.

Why do you say that? If folk in the isles wanted to go it alone, all your fish are belong to us. The Shaalds will pey fur it aa...

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard on the radio that Peterhead power station is to cut its output by 2/3. Due to the high charges in the north of Scotland for putting power into the grid. Well what chance dose Shetland have?

If its unviable to produce electricity on the mainland of Scotland then what's the point of building a wind farm in Shetland?

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy