Shellfish waste vs plastic

George.

I've just read a little about CuanTec securing funding to make food wrapping from shellfish waste. IMHO, to use shellfish waste to produce wrapping for food has got to be an awful lot better than plastic, polythene et al, that lasts for ever as polution.

Could this not be produced here, by us, and used for local aquaculture, sheep and all the other foods?

Edited by George.

Would be a great solution but won't be financially viable, reason being Scottish Enterprise is involved and generally only help projects that don't have a hope in being successful or hand out 'grants' to multimillion pound companies who don't IMO really need it. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/secret-firm-handed-500k-public-12828530

I'm not a big supporter of these agencies issuing grants but believe a loan would be more suited and the money could be 'recycled' as it is repaid. 

Would be a great solution but won't be financially viable, reason being Scottish Enterprise is involved and generally only help projects that don't have a hope in being successful or hand out 'grants' to multimillion pound companies who don't IMO really need it. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/secret-firm-handed-500k-public-12828530

I'm not a big supporter of these agencies issuing grants but believe a loan would be more suited and the money could be 'recycled' as it is repaid. 

By recycled I mean reused with other projects. Giving a higher interest/higher risk/delayed repayment loan would allow projects to go ahead with the serious companies and hopefully put off the big companies who don't really need to be subsidised but the public purse.

^Understood, but at the end of the day the problem regarding plastic, and all the lookalikes, will always be with us and day by day it will become larger and...... If that problem is sorted it may not go away, but it won't get any worse. If Shetland starts using shellfish as a means to make packing materials then the seas around us will not pick up even a tenth of the plastic that continually builds up on the seabed, on land, everywhere - and by nature it won't go away. If it's not continually put in, regardless, then it won't continue to get worse.

We need to look after ourselves. If we don't then they won't bother, but they'll look after themselves.