Post Office on da move

Muckle Oxters

Conochies isn't far away from the pier car park, or the old swimming pool car park, (which is free). most people can walk that far. Only people like delivery drivers, people collecting heavy stuff, and people with mobility problems actually need to drive on Commercial Street.

Use your legs, this is what they are for. If it's raining, wear a coat. 

And if you're in a hurry .... Run !

Conochies isn't far away from the pier car park, or the old swimming pool car park, (which is free). most people can walk that far. Only people like delivery drivers, people collecting heavy stuff, and people with mobility problems actually need to drive on Commercial Street.

Use your legs, this is what they are for. If it's raining, wear a coat.

And if you're in a hurry .... Run !

A drive through post office would have been the answer ;-) Edited by Windwalker

So, is this the first 'stealth step' towards Royal Mail relocating their whole LK operation to a new more accessible site with a modern purpose built facility? The real estate they're in would sell for far more than it would cost them to acquire a site on the outskirts of LK and erect a steel frame mail sorting shed.

The P.O building was designed and built for the world of 110+ years ago, horses and carts and people on foot. At the time it was accessed near the end of a quiet dead end road. That all changed in the 60's with the new road making their access on to what quickly became one of the busiest roads in the toon. I'm only surprised the current arrangement has lasted as long as it has done, as I'd put money on it that few drivers exiting the PO yard don't turn the air blue most times they do.....

I've never been in the sorting areas of the building, but a multi-storey building designed for teh needs and practices of over 100 years ago, with no particularly large access doors, must have limitations as to the kind of modern sorting machinery and mail handling practices that can function in it, inevitably creating inefficiency and higher labour costs.

I may be wrong, but farming out the counter services operations, to me seems like step one towards building a single level modern sorting facility elsewhere and putting the builsing on the market - It'll be another one for Hjaltland to turn in to flats.