White, Male and Middle Aged

Wheelsup

In Morocco, our red-headed guide, said he was probably descended from slaves taken from Ireland or Scotland in the 1600's.

The Arab slave trade went on for centuries millions of Europeans were taken to be sold at the slave markets young females were particularly valued the '' barbary pirates '' roamed as far as Iceland to take slaves . The USA once went to war in protest at  US citizens being taken as slaves .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade         https://halturnerradioshow.com/index.php/en/news-page/news-nation/233-years-ago-this-week-america-s-1st-war-fighting-off-attacking-muslims

Edited by Watter

In Morocco, our red-headed guide, said he was probably descended from slaves taken from Ireland or Scotland in the 1600's.

Red haired female slaves were the most highly prized slaves as the prophet himself was reputed to have had a red  beard . There is the famous case of the Scottish women Helen Gloag who was taken as a slave and became the favourite wife of the great Sultan himself and bore him 6 children .    https://en.yabiladi.com/articles/details/58786/helen-gloag-captured-corsairs-become.html

Edited by Watter

Incidentally Wheelsup, the slavery you mention was going on in the middle east long before we started. It's still going on by all accounts and endorsed by Mohammed and subsequently the Koran.

Tony Blair took it upon himself to apologise for the slave trade, though to be honest I can't say I have ever felt any guilt personally for what happened in the 18th and 19th centuries. 

How come none of the Islamic nations have ever shown any signs of accepting guilt on this issue?

This is a tricky subject but surely a fair question.

How strange to see this very recent thread when I only said to a work colleague a few days ago that I feel I'm in the most demonised demographic in the UK today. In my case I said "I'm a single, straight, white middle-aged meat-eating bloke, who lives alone in a three bedroomed house, and I own three cars" (two that are seen as 'dirty old things' - even though one is over thirty-yrs-old and the other is 87-yrs-old tomorrow, so they are actually much more environmentally sound than buying a brand new car). 

I've also got to the age where I no longer give a hoot what anyone thinks of my life choices  :D

Edited by CrashBox

^^^^^^^

As another straight, white male I have to agree.

Black people don't understand what it's like to be constantly pulled over by the police just because of the colour of their skin.

Gay people don't understand what it's like to have to be careful about where I hold hands with my wife, in case we're confronted by hetrophobes.

Women don't understand what it's like for only six percent of FTSE 100 chief executives to be male.

Carry on the fight for equality, brother!

Women don't understand what it's like for only six percent of FTSE 100 chief executives to be male.

There are currently six female CEO's among the top 100, down from seven last year. On top of this, those six earn just 4.2% of the total pay awarded to FTSE 100 CEO's.

Edited by George.

^^^^^^^

As another straight, white male I have to agree.

Black people don't understand what it's like to be constantly pulled over by the police just because of the colour of their skin.

Gay people don't understand what it's like to have to be careful about where I hold hands with my wife, in case we're confronted by hetrophobes.

If gays are so oppressed by straight white men how come they earn more money than them  ?  https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/12/06/gay-men-are-paid-more-than-straight-men-new-study-reveals/

The worst performing group in schools these days are white working class boys . Why is that ? 

Why? Possibly because they're not white, not that that has one single thing to do with the initial question. Having said that, it must be relevant to something. Well, it must be relevant to at least something - even if it's only to the rather white people, although that in itself does come over as being rather racist.

Perhaps it’s time to stop labelling people by colour or religion, or even by what part of the UK you’re from. It merely fans the fires of racism.

Statistically it may be useful, but in the wrong hands it can have negative effects.

My point was if we are surrounded by institutionalized  '' straight white male privilege '' then why are working class white boys the worst performing group in education which will translate into the poorest economic outcomes ?. If there is ''straight white male privilege '' they don't seem to be doing a very good job . Twice as many girls now go to university than boys yet we are told women are oppressed and kept back by men . 

Edited by Watter

The worst performing group in schools these days are white working class boys . Why is that ? . https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/07/british-education-failure-white-working-class

In the article at your link it says it is because they are working class.

That would assume that only white boys can be working class which is obviously incorrect .