BBC & licence fee (merged threads)

*If* it is indeed a TV tax, lets at least have the honesty to call it what it is, and levy it on every new telly sold, and that's the only realistic way to make that one work, and *if* it is a licence to permit viewing and pay for the Beebs material, then make the Beeb a subscription channel, as that's the only realistic way to make that work.

I think a 'rebranding' of the License Fee would at least help people understand that it pays for TV, radio and web services. I think Shetlanders get good value from the 'BBC Fee' with our own radio station dedicated to a relatively small population (Orkney is similar). More recently, money has also come back into the local economy through the filming of the BBC Shetland series. Per head of population, I think we do rather well from it.

Was the Shetland series filmed by the BBC or one of the independent production companies they outsource to?  They do considerably less material creation that they used to.

At the moment you can listen to as much BBC radio as you like free of charge, which may work out OK for some of us without TV licences.

^The licence fee pays for the B.B.C. telly. It does not pay for radio or web site, unless it's B.B.C radio or B.B.C's website, neither of which, IMHO, are worth going anywhere near. Neither is their telly.

Am I missing your point? The BBC TV License pays for BBC TV, BBC Radio and BBC web services. Why would it go toward non-BBC TV, Radio and web services?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-does-your-licence-fee-pay-for-top13

Despite you thinking the BBC website isn't "worth going anywhere near", it's the world's most popular news site.

At the moment you can listen to as much BBC radio as you like free of charge, which may work out OK for some of us without TV licences.

It's only 'free' because much of the cost is paid for by TV viewers. Therein lies the rub!

• 2 weeks later...

Despite you thinking the BBC website isn't "worth going anywhere near", it's the world's most popular news site.

A lot of people certainly like to tell how popular the B.B.C. is. Personally, I only see Westminster's front man as as Westminster's front man, but that's the Beeb.

Edited by George.