SNP

Watter

"More chance of achieving genuine Faroese type autonomy, (if that's what the majority of Shetlanders want), as part of an independent Scotland in my opinion."

Do you think that "fandabbydozie" and her crew will allow that when they want what's left of the oil and fishing rights as bargaining chips to get into the EU and any un-occupied bit of land on the island for windmills to boost their "green" credentials ? 

If so, then I think that you had better make ready for a massive extension to be built at Sumburgh airport.  Somewhere big enough for all thos flying pigs to land..

..A leftist (regardless of what party banner they stand under) Holyrood, for that's all that ever will be in Holyrood, giving us exclusive 200 mile/median to oil and fish is only every likely to happen long after hell freezes over. Reds are centralist control freaks by definition..

And you think whats left of the UK would?

..More likely Westminster would be amenable to giving us it in exchange for staying with them in the event of Scottish independence. They'd not want to lose our strategic military value..

You could be right here, they will be looking for a new place to park their leaky nuclear subs after an independent Scotland demands removal, if we don't want them either our newly appointed military governor could try buying us natives off with wampum. Edited by Capeesh

Do you think that "fandabbydozie" and her crew will allow that when they want what's left of the oil and fishing rights as bargaining chips to get into the EU .

Remind me who traded away our fishing rights last time, the same Tory government look likely to do it again for a trade deal that's worse than the one we had as EU members.

Remind me again who frittered away the oil revenues? Thatchers dreams came true when that cash cow came, sensible small independent countries like Norway set up oil funds, the UK govt blew the lot.

..A leftist (regardless of what party banner they stand under) Holyrood, for that's all that ever will be in Holyrood, giving us exclusive 200 mile/median to oil and fish is only every likely to happen long after hell freezes over. Reds are centralist control freaks by definition..

And you think whats left of the UK would

No, but you box clever and pit Englandshire and the Indynats against each other.

My money is on Englandshire being willing to do a deal more favourable to us than the tartan commies.

..More likely Westminster would be amenable to giving us it in exchange for staying with them in the event of Scottish independence. They'd not want to lose our strategic military value..

You could be right here, they will be looking for a new place to park their leaky nuclear subs after an independent Scotland demands removal, if we don't want them either our newly appointed military governor could try buying us natives off with wampum.

And how would that be any worse than the industrialised windfarm wasteland the tartan mob are hellbent on turning us in to as it is.

Personally I'd rather have a a fleet of nuke subs and a nuke power station parked up here then seas of great bloody white poles with wavy arms covering ever inch of the place.

A bit of nuke pishing out of old subs hasn't turned huge numbers of the Russian population in to three headed giants or shriveled dwarves yet.

The point of achieving home rule/self governance/autonomy (whatever you want to call it) for Shetland is not about arguing who is worse, Holyrood or Westminster. It is about obtaining the necessary financial and political freedoms to largely manage our own affairs, making the regular circuses and partisan political games at those two Parliaments of much less relevance to us. 

We have the resources and the people needed to make Shetland prosperous. All we need is the powers to do it. 

Quite right Whalsa, and the main reason the SNP are so desperate to get into Shetland is because any chance of future autonomy can be quashed. This reason of course ties in with the fact that the dream of Scottish independence makes no financial sense without the oil and fishing money from Shetland. They need Shetland money and they know it.

If the UK remains as is the only way autonomy can be achieved is if the SIC holds a referedum of the resident Shetland population and that shows a clear majority in favour of an alternative to the status quo.

I have no doubt the usual whining, bleating and gnashing of teeth will eminate from all political points further up the current totem, but at the end of the day it will be their bluster up against the recognition by the UN of self determination of peoples, and who has the biggest balls to play brinkmanship.

If Scotland breaks away on its own it gives us a significant advantage, as we can play them and England off against each other to see who will give us the best deal to 'side' with them.

"If Scotland breaks away on its own it gives us a significant advantage, as we can play them and England off against each other to see who will give us the best deal to 'side' with them."

You might wonder just what Scotland could offer after they have turned the island into a giant windfarm and wold "sell" what is left of the fishing and oil to Europe in order to gain entry.

Edited by Colin

"If Scotland breaks away on its own it gives us a significant advantage, as we can play them and England off against each other to see who will give us the best deal to 'side' with them."

You might wonder just what Scotland could offer after they have turned the island into a giant windfarm and wold "sell" what is left of the fishing and oil to Europe in order to gain entry.

Which also kinda answers the question, why would we want to stay with them in the event they go it alone.

Whatever it is Scotland perceives they'll 'get' out of independence and EU membership, they're welcome to, I just hope the Scots that support getting in at least know what it is, but I'm yet to see one thing Shetland would 'get', unless a whole lot of grief and being robbed blind yet again.

Perhaps so George, but I am just emphasising the SNP desperation to get into Shetland and the main reason why! I would rather they kept the tartan and its clan connotations where it belongs.

It's a difficult point, Claadehol. The S.N.P, at the last vote, got 34% whereas the Lib Dems got 44%. That suggests that the S.N.P are doing pretty well, primarily because a lot of people around here vote for them. Possibly because Shetland has been part of Scotland since 1472 whereas.......