• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Self-detemination motion

prosperity shetland self-determination community

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1681 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:23 AM

At last a chance for Shetland to become autonomous. There's hope yet.

• whalsa likes this

#2 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2449 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:39 AM

One small step on a long and rocky road

#3 Capeesh

Capeesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:13 PM

I'm confused, why are the Daily Mail and Daily Express reporting this with such glee?

#4 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2449 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:12 PM

Looks like it made YouTube.

Loads of comments. 

#5 Capeesh

Capeesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:13 PM

Aaah now I understand, thanks for the clarification.

#6 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2449 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:21 PM

I didn't bother reading to many of the comments though.

Kinda stopped at the "lets put it up Krankie" etc. brigade getting a little ahead of themselves.

Nobody seems to realise (yet) that Shetland has NOT had the opportunity to vote for anything.

Guess it sells newspapers .. ?

#7 Patfrog007

Patfrog007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:41 PM

While still being part of the UK, and going down the Isle of Man, Guernsey route could be good for everyone, as it is clear that devolution, and the powers of Holyrood have not worked well for the Shetland Islands.

Nice article below, excellent exposure.

https://uk.yahoo.com...-123728954.html

#8 Capeesh

Capeesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:56 PM

https://www.shetnews...-determination/
Is stating facts and having an opinion not allowed in the council chamber or when talking to us plebs anymore? Do they all have to toe the line and say what they're told to say?
Stephen Leask is my councillor, he got my vote because he was the only candidate willing to put in the legwork and come to my door to try and win it in the run up to the election.
I didn't help vote him in to be a shrinking violet or cajoled into being silent by a council leader I've never even heard of.
Same goes for Ian Scott, I certainly don't agree with everything he says but we need people like him with the balls to speak their mind and ask uncomfortable questions, at the very least it helps spark some healthy debate.

Edited by Capeesh, 22 September 2020 - 08:07 PM.

• Colin, Claadehol and George. like this

#9 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2449 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:01 PM

Totally agree.  A councillors first responsibility should be to his/her electorate and they are NOT elected to satisfy the whims of the SIC heirachy.

However, I am slightly disappointed that both Steven Leask and Ian Scott resigned their positions.  I feel that they would have been better to remain in place and force(?) a few issues into the public domain.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prosperity, shetland, self-determination, community