• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Self-detemination motion

prosperity shetland self-determination community

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:50 PM

Does this still stand :-

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers.

#17 Capeesh

Capeesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:27 PM

https://www.shetnews...f-determination
This letter to the PM and First Minister seems to me, to put it as kindly as possible, ill thought out.
This bit at the end of the letter sticks out for me...

“...The council intends to conduct extensive research into the most attractive future model and would formally request a meeting with you and relevant senior ministers to discuss options in early course...”

A few things bother me about this, here's a couple for starters..

In the absence of any of the councillors I elected mentioning they were seeking changes to Shetlands constitutional status, would it not be prudent, before they spend our money on "extensive research", to ask us, the people who put them there, what we want first?

Even if you ignore the democratic argument in the first point, would it not make a bit more sense to "conduct extensive research" before they wrote to them? Are they expecting the PM and FM to drop Covid, Brexit, running the country etc, and do it for them?

Edited by Capeesh, 14 October 2020 - 01:43 PM.

#18 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1745 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:35 AM

^Personally, I don't think that the Council really needs to carry out their extensive research. However, it does need to be considered what Holyrood does to us and the fact that Westminster has been stripping us bare the whole way, all thanks to James VI.

IMHO, of course

#19 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2483 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:16 AM

The people of Shetland do not appear to matter just to much to either Westminster, or Holyrood.

What seems to matter to them is our resources.

IMHO, of course.  :thmbsup

#20 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1745 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:51 AM

I would suggest that they mean a huge amount less to Westminster, but they love it when the oil is coming in. That mean tax, tax, tax - and they'll strip us bare as they give away our fishing waters.

IMHOOC.

Edited by George., 15 October 2020 - 10:01 AM.

#21 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1745 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:18 PM

I’m sure that the vast majority of Shetland knows fine well that Shetland became part of Scotland in 1472, while Scotland, including Shetland, signed the Acts of Union and became part of Great Britain in 1707. However, now an awful lot of people north of the English border want to go it independly, including an awful lot of people now in Shetland that vote S.N.P. 

When the Tories, and no doubt the vast majority of Westminster go this way, does it show clearly just how democratic Westminster really is?  

Does it show what they really think of everybody else?  

Does it show, clearly and directly, just how pompous they are?  

Does it show that Westminster only cares about Westminster? 

What self-detemination will Shetland ever get if we don’t shout loud and and very, very hard!!! 

#22 Claadehol

Claadehol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:28 PM

Well yes George, there is an awful lot of people, (or a lot of awful people whichever way you want to look at it), now in Shetland that vote SNP.

Oil has brought new wealth to Shetland and it has also brought changes many of which have been for the better. It also has its downside.

Shetland has always been very different to mainland Scotland, throughout history, and I dont fully understand why people would wish to change that. Clans, kilts, and tartan tam o shanters have their place in mainland Scotland and should be left there.

The SNP which belongs mainly in the central belt, is interested in Shetland only because of the oil, gas, and fishing wealth that is concentrated here. To pretend otherwise is pure fantasy, politicians are all the same they will look after themselves and their cronies. The SNP are being torn apart from within, despite and partly because of the iron hand of nippy Nicola and her husband. This will get worse before it gets better.

Banner waving, anti English rhetoric, and tartan kilted terrorists should be confined to that central belt, and Shetland should be allowed to continue in its historically welcoming way to all comers.

Shetland should not have to change its ways to suit anyone, whether from mainland Scotland, Ireland, Wales, or England.

Or incomers from anywhere else for that matter.

#23 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1745 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:26 PM

The SNP which belongs mainly in the central belt, is interested in Shetland only because of the oil, gas, and fishing wealth that is concentrated here. To pretend otherwise is pure fantasy, politicians are all the same they will look after themselves and their cronies. The SNP are being torn apart from within, despite and partly because of the iron hand of nippy Nicola and her husband. This will get worse before it gets better.

I got the idea that some of us would not believe that those in Westminster would be in any way interested in oil, gas or fishing, but there again..... 2019_SPICe_Blog_UK-election_Map_01-1.png

Blue is Tory, orange is Lid Dem and yellow is.........

The Scottish Parliament

Edited by George., 20 October 2020 - 03:26 PM.

#24 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1745 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:50 AM

Has John Major got it right this time, or is he just doing what Westminster does - winding us up?

John Major tells Boris Johnson not to rule out a second independence referendum

#25 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1745 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:01 AM

The people of Shetland do not appear to matter just to much to either Westminster, or Holyrood.

What seems to matter to them is our resources.

IMHO, of course.  :thmbsup

Obviously, Shetland is included in his verbal guff.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prosperity, shetland, self-determination, community